Drones inspecting power lines

Reaction score
Always like to see good press about "drones"

Attachments

• 1448306053946.jpg
    1448306053946.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,143
Good go see, but they will have go get really close or get a really good camera. All that has been done by hand over hand before. Using a drone you will need a good close up of the lines. A lot of it has been done with cotton gloves and by feel sliding your gloves down the line feeling for snags or damaged.

Good press is a huge plus. Of course some will find a way to turn even this into "the sky is falling" or "Big Brother is secretly using these to spy on us".

This, along with rail line and pipeline inspections and of course, the dreaded drone deliveries, are the main drivers behind numerous industries wanting the modify or remove the LOS requirements. In fact, the LOS requirement, more than anything, outright kills most potential commercial applications of drones, and severely limits others like surveying and environmental monitoring.

Reactions: BoydBros
The octacopter the guy in the article is using is one sophisticated buggy. Article quotes costs well above $10,000 depending upon the type of imaging equipment carried onboard (LiDAR and such)

Greetings all. This article is several months old, but covers how UAVs have increased in use in the electrical utility sector... The Drone Advantage

I will be overseeing several flights of power distribution lines, and substations in Salt Lake soon. I'll try to share generic, non-sensitive info once we're done. (Oil & Gas major using contract UAS operator). We'll most likely utilize the Aeryon Skyranger

Reactions: BigAl07
After six months of training and operating under FMRA Section 333 Exemptions and COAs (and now operating under 14 CFR Part 107 where appropriate), our organization publicly announced our UAS program: UA for Utility Operations. The video to the right side of the page summarizes our development from April to July of this year. We're in the early stages of development, but in the near future we are looking to utilize FLIR and LIDAR payloads to obtain greater detail of our assets.

Haven't forgotten. Flight is scheduled for week of Nov 7th. More to follow.

Drone Air quality and odour monitoring” free Webinar to be held in November 16th (Webinar | Scentroid) .

Free Online Webinar, Wednesday November 16th, 2016,10:00 AM , (-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), In this webinar we explain the use of drone, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for air quality monitoring, chemical monitoring and Meteorological Measurements and air and odour sampling.

Attachments

• Drone Webinar - Nov.jpg
    Drone Webinar - Nov.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 627
After six months of training and operating under FMRA Section 333 Exemptions and COAs (and now operating under 14 CFR Part 107 where appropriate), our organization publicly announced our UAS program: UA for Utility Operations. The video to the right side of the page summarizes our development from April to July of this year. We're in the early stages of development, but in the near future we are looking to utilize FLIR and LIDAR payloads to obtain greater detail of our assets.
Drone Air quality and odour monitoring” free Webinar to be held in November 16th (Webinar | Scentroid) .

Free Online Webinar, Wednesday November 16th, 2016,10:00 AM , (-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), In this webinar we explain the use of drone, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for air quality monitoring, chemical monitoring and Meteorological Measurements and air and odour sampling.

Reactions: JWH
Did you end up using Aeryon Skyranger? Looking for options as owner of several power plants. Thx

That is the platform that will be utilized, yes. I'll send you private note, MrDave.

Very cool Adam! Do you think there's an opportunity for 3rd party companies to work with/engage local power companies to provide this type of service? I'm working with some local developers in Georgia to document construction of retail spaces. They are blown away with the detail of the images and relative speed with which we can deploy this technology on-site vs hiring traditional helicopters & crews.

I'd appreciate any insight you can offer.

This thread seems a little older, but, How do you market for this line of work? I am interested in getting my company into this space. Do I conduct inspections on my own and use that information to make a presentation to present ti to a local power company? Do I charge by pole? By hour? How much?

Thank you in advance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31