Drones for Home Inspections?

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a hang glider/paragliding/powered parachute pilot who wants to get a drone to fly with me...and to use as a tool for home inspections (no more climbing on roofs?) I am at square one regarding this topic, and could use as much guidance as possible. It's good to be here (the videos I saw last night using drones took my breath away!) Please guide me in the right direction, either on this site, or elsewhere, for information on getting started (I think it will be a hit with my home-buying clients if I can produce a cool video of not only the roof of the house they want to purchase--but also a glimpse from high above the new neighborhood...(and I won't need that stinkin' ladder anymore! Thanks!
Paraglider

Good idea.

I'm a Realtor, after a severe wind/hail storm, one of my clients found pieces of tile around the house.

I went over flew around & over, back & forth taking stills & video. We used those photos/video to find any problems. Seems like we found 6 or 7 problems, from cracked, out of position, missing, etc..

Added labels/markers on the photos so it would be easy to spot. They sent this to their insurance adjuster, said he didn't need to come out with this documentation.

Adjuster said call your roofer, I'll mail a check & if roofer finds additional damage let him know.

I also flew a few times for my usual inspector, when he ran into a 3 story or similar.

Basically two things you have to do. (1) You'll have to research the different models (either DJI models or other manufacturers) to decide which drone to buy for your needs. (2) You will have to study for and pass the FAA Part 101 test which certifies you as a Remote Pilot. Without that certification, you cannot legally fly a drone for commercial use.

Reactions: Allan8056
I'm sure MM53 meant Part 107 (for commercial use), not 101. ;)

Reactions: Allan8056
Thank you! I am looking forward to becoming certified and offering a service to my clients (home-buyers) that most other home inspectors don't include. I saw a drone video last night that made my heart pound! It was a very steady shot of the exterior of a house, that slowly ascended upward in a Hollywood-like pan that showed the horizon and sunset, in all of its glory, and revealed the state of the art of modern drones. I am sold! Hook me up! Where's the best dealer?! I want to get started.... :)
(I shattered my arm paragliding this year--and this sport may just satisfy my need to fly...)

I'm studying for the real estate commission test for home inspectors at the moment. My test is scheduled for next week and I think I'll do fine. Part 107 will be next and I'll be flying roofs too, very soon. I see the drone and pilot's license as more of a tax write off than a money maker. I'd love to be wrong, but why pay $1,200 out of pocket..Right? I may even buy a boat for a pier inspection. As long as fishing rods don't affect its tax deductible status...

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jbwill
The name of the game with home inspections is to offer the best service and value to realtors (our bread-and-butter) and the clients. I don't know if offering this video service will necessarily be a "money maker", but it will definitely add a little "wow" to my report and make me stand out from the rest...plus it will be a write-off!

Reactions: aermale
Thank you! I am looking forward to becoming certified and offering a service to my clients (home-buyers) that most other home inspectors don't include. I saw a drone video last night that made my heart pound! It was a very steady shot of the exterior of a house, that slowly ascended upward in a Hollywood-like pan that showed the horizon and sunset, in all of its glory, and revealed the state of the art of modern drones. I am sold! Hook me up! Where's the best dealer?! I want to get started.... :)
(I shattered my arm paragliding this year--and this sport may just satisfy my need to fly...)
If you are in central Texas, check out UAV Direct in Liberty Hill just outside Austin.

I'm on my 3rd AC from them, they also do repairs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am a home inspector. I use my P3P for tall or steep roofs that I can not get on. Checking the roof during an home inspection is an expectation. I don't make any extra money by flying my drone. But my clients get better service than looking from the ground

I also use my drone for picture or video marketing for Realtors. For that I make extra money.

I don't own a Mavic, but if Real estate inspection was all I planed to do, I think I would buy one for their easier portability, and no fuss pull out of the bag and fly capabilities. But for inspection and marketing, my next purchase will be a P4P.

Maybe by that time, that guy in another thread here on PP will have his P3P to Mavic conversion kit done, and I'll have both :D

Reactions: aermale
I'm a home inspector in southern Illinois and use a P4P on anything over a 6/12 pitch. Less than 6/12 I'll usually go on the roof. When using the drone I always use tripod mode which allows me to concentrate on the roof photos without having to worry about crashing into the roof.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20