Dronebase- is it worth it

Just completed a client mission boy was that exciting. The homeowner came out had a nice conversation. Couple seconds later three squad cars come pulling up asking me what the heck I'm doing. I just explained what was happening and everything was cool... Took off at 11 AM by 1120 police officers make contact

Wow. What city and state are you in? The home owner didn't call the cops right? What kind of conversation did you have with the cops?

I'm in Pennsylvania just north of Philadelphia. It definitely wasn't a homeowner. He came outside we had a good conversation. I think it was the guy next to him I was out clean his pool. The cops just wanted to know what was going on and I was about it he looked at my drivers license and that was about it... it definitely does get your adrenaline going haha.

This was for a client mission just photos doing directional at 10 feet and 200 feet. I wanted to make sure I had it all covered so I didn't want to then 2 laps around the house had I done just to I would've been out of there before the cops ever got there but no big deal

Thankfully they didn't waste much time. Actually the one officer went to high school with me. This was the first time ive ever had an issue. All pano missions I fly with my mavic and client missions I fly my p4. The mavic is nice an quite.

Reactions: BruiseLee
My area recently had a purge and then the properties came back on the map. The last few sold went for about $25 each, so I think buyers are coughing up more money. Client missions are fairly regular.

Regarding the business model: the folks buying the photos will never pay a "real" aerial photographer the $400 per job they demand. Plus, I would be ashamed to charge $400 for three glamour shots and a pano set. It takes me ten minutes to do these. DB pilots are filling a niche, one that will never be filled by a high-dollar flier anyway.

Like I've stated before, I only fly DB missions that are within walking distance or no more than 3 miles away. I'm keeping my skills up, exercising my batteries, and using batteries that I would just flying in circles over my house for fun. Might as well speculate on making a few bucks while I'm at it.

Correct me if I am wrong but your last sentence makes it sound like you do not have your FAA Part 107. Either that or you do not have pride in the work you had to go through to earn it.

Not at all. I have my 107 and am very proud of it. I provide construction documentation and mapping services. Last job I did paid almost the full price of my P4P in three hours. Point is I might as well fill the DB niche when out goofing around with my aircraft.

I apologize, Teamfour. I guess it depends on which market you are working in. I have my 333 and 107. I was just about to start marketing panos when DB came out. I can still go the extra mile to give them hotspots to display listing details for specific properties and to select portals to take them to other Panos including interior 360 virtual tours but our realtors In our area will balk once they are aware that DB is giving away panos AND glamor shots for $50. DB might change my mind if I see a few client missions.

I see you have a Shield K1. How is it when working in bright sunlight?

Reactions: Teamfour
I made a hood for my K1 and have the brightness turned up. Still usually have to find shade to see clearly. But it is a good tablet otherwise. I use an iPad for the P4P and like it just as well, but the brightness is better than the K1.

As for DB, I completely understand the angst over the business model. DB was great when I got started just to gain experience and make enough $ to buy some batteries. Luckily I am in an area of townhomes so the concentration of properties for sale within walking distance is high. That's the only DB jobs I tend to shoot.

One final note - most of the DB images are bought by data companies in bulk. Thus the small payout. I don't think too many realtors buy them as I never see the images used on real estate listings.

My area recently had a purge and then the properties came back on the map. The last few sold went for about $25 each, so I think buyers are coughing up more money. Client missions are fairly regular.

Regarding the business model: the folks buying the photos will never pay a "real" aerial photographer the $400 per job they demand. Plus, I would be ashamed to charge $400 for three glamour shots and a pano set. It takes me ten minutes to do these. DB pilots are filling a niche, one that will never be filled by a high-dollar flier anyway.

Like I've stated before, I only fly DB missions that are within walking distance or no more than 3 miles away. I'm keeping my skills up, exercising my batteries, and using batteries that I would just flying in circles over my house for fun. Might as well speculate on making a few bucks while I'm at it.

You are right. The glamour shots and Panos are worth about 70 to $100. The jobs for 3 to 500 are exterior Trucking shots and pans along with a full walkthrough tour of the interior of the house. They freely pay this depending on where you are from. Of course based on the area you are from you will have to adjust prices appropriately. I don't believe anybody asks for or expects to get upwards of $400 for simple glamour shots and Pano.

I made a hood for my K1 and have the brightness turned up. Still usually have to find shade to see clearly. But it is a good tablet otherwise. I use an iPad for the P4P and like it just as well, but the brightness is better than the K1.

As for DB, I completely understand the angst over the business model. DB was great when I got started just to gain experience and make enough $ to buy some batteries. Luckily I am in an area of townhomes so the concentration of properties for sale within walking distance is high. That's the only DB jobs I tend to shoot.

One final note - most of the DB images are bought by data companies in bulk. Thus the small payout. I don't think too many realtors buy them as I never see the images used on real estate listings.
I have seen many of my images on listings, by realtors. I have also had realtors tell me they saw the pics on another of their listings, in communication with DB, didn't buy those pics (sold, too new, etc), but they ordeed a client mission from them for another bouse. I would say over half my client missions have come from those types of jobs.

So far I've done 40 Missions and only paid for 14. Each mission so far I've been paid $19 except for one that was $18. I'm starting to feel that it's not worth it. I average about 6 minutes per mission. Anybody getting a better payout percentage?

So far I've done 40 Missions and only paid for 14. Each mission so far I've been paid $19 except for one that was $18. I'm starting to feel that it's not worth it. I average about 6 minutes per mission. Anybody getting a better payout percentage?

i've had one that was $25. the rest have been $19

I've only found it worth it on the client missions...BUT by doing the pano missions hopefully that's helping to get DB name out there

I have been getting payout at just over 60% of the pan missions. The more I do, the more client missions I get now. They see tell pano/pics on one of their houses and it might be under contract, but they then order missions o. 2 or 3 of their other houses. I have also doNE a few commercial missions for over $200. I did my first pano mission on January 29 and am sitting right at $2000 so far. Not bad for spare time jpb and it is paying for my drones.

still giving it a shot.. just started this spring. A few small paying Client missions, and 64 panos for a little over $610. at that rate - you can map out houses in a condensed area, and its possible to complete 5 an hour. I have been trying to do 3 hours solid a day when weather permits. I've spent a total of about 20 hours of time, gas, and wear on vehicle, that is tax deductible. That about $30 an hour. I'd say its worth it, but like anything else.. you have to work it. My understanding is also that it is potential residual income, it is possible for pics to sell more than once.

Reactions: jayeverts
Do client missions pop up on everyone's maps or just certain ones. Ive never seen one in my area. Just started and wondering if you have to keep checking or if there is a notification

They will, when they ate available. I have learned that the more you do ($20 ones) the more jobs client missions may come your way. MANY of my client missions have come from a realtor seeing the pics I do lid on another house they were selling. While they may/may not have bought those, they called drone base to shoot some of specific houses. I had one reat or hire them for 5 more jobs at $35/each. I did them all 5 in under 3 hours (little driving). Not a bad morning to make $60/hour for 3 hours of driving with about 40 minutes of it flying.

I flew three panos last week and was paid 19/pano. Not going to get rich but each one only took 10 minutes to complete.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost