Drone would not move in air. Would only hover. Only at 1% battery did anything happen???????????

Reaction score
OK, as they say you always learn something new. Today while inspecting the outside of a hi-rise condo I was fairly close to the ground getting ready to go up again and the drone stopped. It made it's usual beeping noise when I get a little too close to the building or palm trees (sometimes). I was more close to palm trees this time. So I try to move it up,down, left, right forward (not backward into the palm trees) AND NOTHING!! It would not budge at all. Long story short, I had to let it sit there and drain the battery. It wanted to land and said landing on my screen but then said it would not because it was not safe to land. I shut down my ipad, the controller, went out of djigo4 app and back in. NOTHING WORKED. Finally at about 2% battery it started to land. I grabbed a pool net pole (about 15 - 20 feet extended and as it came down cradled the drone in the net, just to be safe that it would not drop like a rock (for whatever reason). It landed fine, put a new battery in and finished my work. Charged the battery up when I got home seems to be ok. Will test it tomorrow, hoping it will be ok and not ruined. SO WHAT THE HECK? WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN A DRONE DOES NOT RESPOND TO ANY TYPE OF INPUT. NOTHING NO RTH NOTHING. I am perplexed.

Reactions: Sirsly
OK, as they say you always learn something new. Today while inspecting the outside of a hi-rise condo I was fairly close to the ground getting ready to go up again and the drone stopped. It made it's usual beeping noise when I get a little too close to the building or palm trees (sometimes). I was more close to palm trees this time. So I try to move it up,down, left, right forward (not backward into the palm trees) AND NOTHING!! It would not budge at all. Long story short, I had to let it sit there and drain the battery. It wanted to land and said landing on my screen but then said it would not because it was not safe to land. I shut down my ipad, the controller, went out of djigo4 app and back in. NOTHING WORKED. Finally at about 2% battery it started to land. I grabbed a pool net pole (about 15 - 20 feet extended and as it came down cradled the drone in the net, just to be safe that it would not drop like a rock (for whatever reason). It landed fine, put a new battery in and finished my work. Charged the battery up when I got home seems to be ok. Will test it tomorrow, hoping it will be ok and not ruined. SO WHAT THE HECK? WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN A DRONE DOES NOT RESPOND TO ANY TYPE OF INPUT. NOTHING NO RTH NOTHING. I am perplexed.
Scary stuff,,sound like vps and obstical avoidence at play here,,I think you run when drone not respond,lol,,sorry very serious stuff,try again close to something without OA on,at least you will have control

I had a situation like that but it was preceded by “command timeout” errors. Then the AC accepted no commands. The story ends just like yours.

Reactions: Billmh12
Meta 4 said it best, turn off the sensors. I was tired of all the beeping and also experienced the frozen moment once. I learned to turn off the OAS sensors. They've been off for six months. Wonderful flights ever since. Speedmeiter's comment is a wise one. If one must flight in a space with obstacles, narrow sensing sounds like a good compromise. Just when one thinks they know everything on this model, someone delivers a whole new perspective.
drone-collection-30- copy.jpg

Seems reasonable. Those OA sensors are useful only at auto flight modes. In normal flight it can't prevent the crash.
But since it was actual few months ago I still haven't got the explanation about that mysterious 'Command timeout'. Somebody know something about it?

Was there bright sunshine, not to mention sunlight reflections off the condo?
The obstacle avoidance sensors can be confused by strong sunlight, and think there are obstacles in every direction around it - so it will not move much at all. This is a known problem with the P4, hence the wise responses you got above.
As mentioned by others above, try turning off the obstacle avoidance sensors, and that may solve the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic