Drone with camera found on Fort Worth,Texas Military Base runway

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For anyone asking, "Why are we so heavily regulated and why is the FAA wanting to increase our rules and regulations".... This is your answer:

I would love to see the person responsible for this identified, located, and prosecuted heavily. There is ZERO excuse for this happening.

Had to research that model drone a bit before any response could be given. Didn’t see any RTH capability on loss of signal listed, or any form of GeoFencing on this bird, although I just skimmed the specs and noted some of the features.

I’d assume it got away from the owner and just kept flying. Dangerous indeed. And, of course all drones and their pilots take the heat for a $99 drone being somewhere it’s not supposed to be.

Until ‘low-end’ cheap toy drones like this are required to have safety features built in, I feel we will see more of this. So sad.

I believe I’d take down all my “Lost Drone” posters really quickly! :)

Interesting though that the headline says it was on the runway but the article says it was on the taxiway. A moot point really (other than shabby journalism) as it clearly should have been nowhere near the airport/base.

For anyone asking, "Why are we so heavily regulated and why is the FAA wanting to increase our rules and regulations".... This is your answer:

I would love to see the person responsible for this identified, located, and prosecuted heavily. There is ZERO excuse for this happening.
He is probably a kid. It says the range is 300 m. We know ideally that is in the country. So the "pilot" had max 12 minutes of flight. It would be more like 8 to 9 minutes. It's a toy and they are incline to run away, especially with lots of interface in the area. I wonder if they had any missile attacks lately from a kids toy rocket landing. I think the article was making it bigger than it was. It probably came from base housing. Man, that 10 year boy and his new Christmas present sure is going to get him into a lot of trouble. Throw the book at him and lock him up!

Just looking at the reviews for this drone- I wonder if this is the bloke who lost it?

4AEC342C-6671-4E29-9746-3E5CB8628F2A.jpeg

Reactions: Neon Euc
There are a lot of fly always and fail to launch, sound like a Chinese dud, needs to stay near a dumpster to fly it to save walking! Won’t be a problem for long! They can be recycled into packaging for the Phantom V Pro! This is what determines the reputation of the whole industry

You are absolutely correct. Because of idiots like this, we will lose our hobby! Simple fact.

Probably too much of a coincidence for it to be a "flyaway". Getting videos of military aircraft is way too much of a temptation.

Reactions: BigAl07

Sad thing is that the Drone found is a toy ($99 at Walmart). It has about a 15 to 20 min max flight time and no return to home. So, likely as not, someone lost control of it and it ended up crashing on Fort land. Why whoever was flying that close to an active Military runway? Who knows, stupid to say the least.

Reactions: BigAl07
He is probably a kid. It says the range is 300 m. We know ideally that is in the country. So the "pilot" had max 12 minutes of flight. It would be more like 8 to 9 minutes. It's a toy and they are incline to run away, especially with lots of interface in the area. I wonder if they had any missile attacks lately from a kids toy rocket landing. I think the article was making it bigger than it was. It probably came from base housing. Man, that 10 year boy and his new Christmas present sure is going to get him into a lot of trouble. Throw the book at him and lock him up!
Military gave drone to children for christmas.
My grandson received one.
I can see this happening on base
No security issue

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Another possibility. Buttttt
You would think the Base would have checked that before putting out such a Security Announcement to the public.

Reactions: Omega Flight
You would think the Base would have checked that before putting out such a Security Announcement to the public.[/QUO
You would think the Base would have checked that before putting out such a Security Announcement to the public.
No way to check. Some soldier tasked to buy toys and they are just given out.
Retired Army by the way.

Military gave drone to children for christmas.
My grandson received one.
I can see this happening on base
No security issue

I'm not clear how just the possibility that it happened like that leads you to the conclusion that therefore there is no security issue. It's also perfectly possible that's not what happened. But, in any case, the bigger concern has to be that there was a drone flying on an airfield, creating a potential safety hazard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20