Drone will take pictures and 720p video but anything above will freeze the record button

Reaction score
Lot's of people were too lazy to watch the video I posted about this topic, so I will just type it out. The drone is very happy taking pictures, it takes them fine except for sometimes when I press the shutter button it takes a second for the second picture to process. But what is very annoying is I cannot film in anything higher quality than 720p 30fps. Even 720p60fps just crashes the record button and usually says invalid simcard. it seems like the drone cant handle the bandwidth of 1080p or 4k or something, do the cameras have a cache? I use a SanDisk Extreme Class 10 v30 which has a 60MB/s write speed so i think my card is more than adequate, ESPECIALLY for 1080p, even for 4k.

Let me break down what exactly happens:
1: I open app and choose 720p 30fps, I hit record
2: Drone records fine, I am able to play it back
3: THEN I switch to 1080p 30fps, I hit record
4: The timer counts to maybe 00:00:03 seconds and then it stops.
5: The record red circle is still flashing, but I can't press stop or anything
6: This continues for about 10 seconds at which point it seems to refresh the buttons and I can choose the resolution again etc.
7: I am unable to view whatever it recorded since its a 0kb blank file

So to review, anything above 720p does not want to record, I have tried like 6 sd cards and I honestly don't think this is a problem, has anyone had any similar issues that they would like to share?

Does the drone have a cache system for the camera that maybe is ****** meaning the camera cant store what it's recording to cache before storing to the sd card?

Any help would be appreciated.

Test the card in a PC using h2testw (free) - this will show speeds and also check the entire card. This should eliminate the card from your issue.

Also, do you format the card in the drone?

Test the card in a PC using h2testw (free) - this will show speeds and also check the entire card. This should eliminate the card from your issue.

Agreed here. Try formatting on the bird. Where did you buy the card? Report back.

Yes I format the cards in the drone, I have tried so many things already, starting to lose hope.

Here is a picture of the results:

Capture.PNG

Agreed here. Try formatting on the bird. Where did you buy the card? Report back.
Bought the cards at best buy, they are all genuine. Look at the attached pic in the last post for the write speed, more than enough. Something in the drone is getting overloaded with too much data flow I think

Those read/write numbers certainly look OK - always worth using a full h2testw on a new card no matter where it came from (even cards bought from Amazon have been fake).

Reactions: JazzAir
Unless your SD card is rated at 90 mbs or above, you will have problems. Even in lower resolutions below 4K the drone will attempt to write at high rates as it’s easier for the processor to clear itself in preparation for the next packet of data. That’s how a 4K processor (Sony in this instance) works. It’s geared to accept high rates of data and its algorithms are written this way. You need a SanDisk Extreme V30 U3 which can handle 100mbs. Check out the SanDisk website for all the specs. I think your V30 is not a U3.

Unless your SD card is rated at 90 mbs or above, you will have problems. Even in lower resolutions below 4K the drone will attempt to write at high rates as it’s easier for the processor to clear itself in preparation for the next packet of data. That’s how a 4K processor (Sony in this instance) works. It’s geared to accept high rates of data and its algorithms are written this way. You need a SanDisk Extreme V30 U3 which can handle 100mbs. Check out the SanDisk website for all the specs. I think your V30 is not a U3.
WHOA! This could be it. What an explanation. Nice RFP

Oh man thank you so much! This is exactly the answer I was looking for because I wasn't sure if my hardware was damaged or wether it really does need super fast cards. Yeah I might need a Sandisk Extreme *PLUS* instead of just a Sandisk Extreme, I'll get one and report back

Last edited:
See. Don't give up!
Oh man thank you so much! This is exactly the answer I was looking for because I wasn't sure if my hardware was damaged or wether it really does need super fast cards. Yeah I might need a Sandisk Extreme *PLUS* instead of just a Sandisk Extreme, I'll get one and report back

Bad news i ran out and snagged a SanDisk Extreme Plus, test reported 90MB/s write 95MB/s read, surely this is enough for AT LEAST 1080p/30fps. Well turns out, NOPE. drone still hates me, doesnt even want to record 720p anymore :mad:

I’m really sorry to read this. I guess it must be another issue related to the camera processor. Are you also trying to cache the video? That sucks up a lot of processing power.

I’m really sorry to read this. I guess it must be another issue related to the camera processor. Are you also trying to cache the video? That sucks up a lot of processing power.

No my comment about the cache was regarding wether these drones cache the video, and then store it on the card as opposed to just storing straight to the card. SE cameras are so hard to come by used as well, I really dont know what to do, I don't have the moolah to send it in to DJI, I'm a college student after all :'(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.