Drone use for public safety or LEO's

I use them with LEO, EMS and SAR in my work. What are your questions/concerns?

I am a LE and use mine, for personal and work if needed but only in times were a warrant is not needed.

I would caution you if you are using your own personal UAS for public agency use. There are additional requirements needed to fly for a public agency that go beyond that of a Part 107. For example: the public agency COA, whether it is a Blanket-Area or Jurisdictional require an airworthiness statement.

I would caution you if you are using your own personal UAS for public agency use. There are additional requirements needed to fly for a public agency that go beyond that of a Part 107. For example: the public agency COA, whether it is a Blanket-Area or Jurisdictional require an airworthiness statement.
Rochon,
In the research I have done there are two ways to use drones in LE. First is the part 107 and register the drone as commercial.

The second way is to go through the COA process. If you choose this method pilots not be part 107 licensed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Rochon,
In the research I have done there are two ways to use drones in LE. First is the part 107 and register the drone as commercial.

The second way is to go through the COA process. If you choose this method pilots not be part 107 licensed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you. I worded that badly. Yes, you can use Part 107 for LE, in fact, it's arguably a better solution than COAs. My caution was using your own personal equipment for a public safety operation. A malfunction or error that results in an injury could get messy as to who is responsible for the airworthiness of the aircraft, who possesses maintenance records, the integrity of those records. It just seems like a substantial burden for a remote pilot, given the way LE is held liable these days.
Thanks again.

Thank you. I worded that badly. Yes, you can use Part 107 for LE, in fact, it's arguably a better solution than COAs. My caution was using your own personal equipment for a public safety operation. A malfunction or error that results in an injury could get messy as to who is responsible for the airworthiness of the aircraft, who possesses maintenance records, the integrity of those records. It just seems like a substantial burden for a remote pilot, given the way LE is held liable these days.
Thanks again.
I agree using your personal equipment for LE work can get messy. Right now I am working with my municipality with this very issue.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

LEO here looking for some assistance. Was just tasked by my agency with putting together a proposal with 3 different options and price points for sUAS platforms. Was told 7k remains available in budget this fiscal year and I'll be tasked with standing up a program from scratch. Further funding to come in future budgets but 7k is max for now. Identifying a platform or two that meets agencies needs and price point is not a concern, although I'd certainly be open to anyones suggestions. Looking hard at inspire platform right now due to ability to expand later with different cameras. But was wondering if anyone out there is open to providing copy of their agency policies for sUAS units/operations? I have Part 107 and 2-3 years experience flying phantoms, do it as hobby and small side income. But long term goal with part 107 was to be involved when this program was established at my agency more than any private business.

LEO here looking for some assistance. Was just tasked by my agency with putting together a proposal with 3 different options and price points for sUAS platforms. Was told 7k remains available in budget this fiscal year and I'll be tasked with standing up a program from scratch. Further funding to come in future budgets but 7k is max for now. Identifying a platform or two that meets agencies needs and price point is not a concern, although I'd certainly be open to anyones suggestions. Looking hard at inspire platform right now due to ability to expand later with different cameras. But was wondering if anyone out there is open to providing copy of their agency policies for sUAS units/operations? I have Part 107 and 2-3 years experience flying phantoms, do it as hobby and small side income. But long term goal with part 107 was to be involved when this program was established at my agency more than any private business.
Look at autel x-star premium as well. It is a phantom sized drone with a camera gimbal that is removal and they will have a duo flir camera available soon. I am trying to get my agency to look i to this as an option. Autel will also be making a 1 inch sensor 20meg camera soon. This will be great for mapping accident scenes or crime scenes that would be the best. Only issue is that due to it's size wind of 15mph would ground it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: cEllis

That's a tough price point with more capable equipment but it can be done if you're frugal. What do they require in terms of equipment (sensors) and such?

I'll shoot you a PM and you're more than welcome to drop me a note. We are right in the middle of setting this up and proposing a budget to the county soon.

Allen

Reactions: cEllis
We just recently started our program and purchased an inspire. I'm hoping in the next year that I can find budget money for a flir camera. Shoot me a pm with your department email and I'd be happy to share our policy.

Reactions: RC Phan
I am trying to create a presentation to show my command staff on why a drone would be beneficial in my dept. does anyone have any short video using the FLIR camera on either the phantom platform or the inspire platform. I was going to pitch the inspire platform with a FLIR camera. i believe its a zenmuse XT. Also does anyone have any copies of their policy I could take a look at? I am also looking to get my commercial license and I am needing some help on where/what info I need to study for the test.

I am trying to create a presentation to show my command staff on why a drone would be beneficial in my dept. does anyone have any short video using the FLIR camera on either the phantom platform or the inspire platform. I was going to pitch the inspire platform with a FLIR camera. i believe its a zenmuse XT. Also does anyone have any copies of their policy I could take a look at? I am also looking to get my commercial license and I am needing some help on where/what info I need to study for the test.

First I want to stress how much work and "patience" is involved in getting this project off the ground. The amount of hoops to jump through can be mind boggling for some of us but in the end it's a worthy goal.

In regards to Part 107 training I highly suggest Gold Seal. Here's their link:
FAA Part 107 Ground School

In regards to operating under Part 107 vs Public Use COA I highly suggest BOTH. Each has Pros & Cons and it's best to have them both in your "tool box" so you can utilize the one that best fits the need. I do want to stress you can not Mix & Match them though. You can't use "Both" at the same time to get around the rules. You decide which one best fits the current need and you fly strictly according to the limitations of that one.

If you use FB send me a PM and I'll send you some information you can use via FB to help you learn more.

Be warned there are some "mud suckers" out there going around to agencies offering to "set them up" with UAS programs but they are charging WAY too much and giving less than stellar results. I'm not saying they are all crooks but the few I've dealt with are looking to get rich off the backs of Public Safety Depts.

First I want to stress how much work and "patience" is involved in getting this project off the ground. The amount of hoops to jump through can be mind boggling for some of us but in the end it's a worthy goal.

In regards to Part 107 training I highly suggest Gold Seal. Here's their link:
FAA Part 107 Ground School

In regards to operating under Part 107 vs Public Use COA I highly suggest BOTH. Each has Pros & Cons and it's best to have them both in your "tool box" so you can utilize the one that best fits the need. I do want to stress you can not Mix & Match them though. You can't use "Both" at the same time to get around the rules. You decide which one best fits the current need and you fly strictly according to the limitations of that one.

If you use FB send me a PM and I'll send you some information you can use via FB to help you learn more.

Be warned there are some "mud suckers" out there going around to agencies offering to "set them up" with UAS programs but they are charging WAY too much and giving less than stellar results. I'm not saying they are all crooks but the few I've dealt with are looking to get rich off the backs of Public Safety Depts.

Big 2nd to what Al said, including Gold Seal and getting both COA and 107.

Reactions: BigAl07
Absolutely BigAl.. I brought up the use of a DRONE over 2 years ago during a murder/suicide investigation. I have been going Mach speed for over 2 years and finally have the SOP's written and approved thru city council. Just got approved thru the city insurance handler and city attorneys and have my flight hours over 100 so they will insure me as the pilot. Am awaiting our Airspace Waiver for Class D airspace and we should be up and running very shortly. I did the same with a PowerPoint presentation to our command staff and they loved it. Beings I have been flying for almost 4 years now, they let me direct them in getting it set up.

Good luck and let us know how its going..

Be Safe..

Good Afternoon,

Just wanted to introduce myself to my fellow LEO or Pro LEO members. This is my first time registering on the forum and look forward to learning from you seasoned veterans. I am heading up the drone service for my dept. We just purchased the DJI Pro Plus for our unit and will be using it for investigative purposes relative to active crimes in progress or long term cases. Thoughts on getting started and 1st steps to take with mapping on the DJI? Thx Lou.

Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome to the form. I started my drone program with my agency over 2 years ago. It has taken almost that long to have a policy and procedure written, to get City Council on board with thoughts of invasion of privacy, getting insurance carrier to cover myself and the Drone, and the City attorney to approve and give us a thumbs up. We are now up in flying, but it's taken two years. It's a long process, but definitely worth it. Good luck, let us know if we can help.

Welcome to the form. I started my drone program with my agency over 2 years ago. It has taken almost that long to have a policy and procedure written, to get City Council on board with thoughts of invasion of privacy, getting insurance carrier to cover myself and the Drone, and the City attorney to approve and give us a thumbs up. We are now up in flying, but it's taken two years. It's a long process, but definitely worth it. Good luck, let us know if we can help.

Are you working for a CALEA town? If so, could I private message you or message you off forum?

Thanks in advance

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3