Drone suicided into wall, ignoring my commands, goes to right instead of straight and left

Reaction score
Hi,
My DJI died whilst flying under a bridge. it moved itself to the right instead of to the front, ignoring my commands, also ignoring my correction (Full throttle) to the left. whilst being very close to the drone. In all other cases it did not pose a problem to fly under a bridge in an urban environment nor a narrow tunnel without gps with strong wind effects, as can be seen here.
This is inconsistent behavior at best and crappy programming at worst. Pilot control should be leading at all times, and if GPS loss was such a problem, it could have defered my vector (direction+speed) from just before losing gps. This is my 4th mavic lost to their programming. The 3rd randomly took a plunge whilst stationary (reimbursed), the 2nd was losing connection within 400m range and not returning, the first suicided into a tree without my command right after takeoff.

Are there any alternatives out there with similar camera quality and portability as the m2p which is not DJI?

I have a video. showing my controls at the accident, an earlier, similar accident, and cases where the mavic was functioning normally.

Attached are the flight logs of my last flight + the flight before where it did not return to home when it was supposed to but went moving further from home.

4th mavic,, should look at a phantom,might last longer,,unsure with reading flight log but before sideways impact you can see it got no GPS so it's going to drift,,as for the tree impact it didn't look like it respond to you stick inputs so mayby a stick calibration was needed before,,,,this just speculation until someone can read you flight ,,not a fan of these newer mavics but still major bummer to have this happen

Hi,
My DJI died whilst flying under a bridge. it moved itself to the right instead of to the front, ignoring my commands, also ignoring my correction (Full throttle) to the left. whilst being very close to the drone. In all other cases it did not pose a problem to fly under a bridge in an urban environment nor a narrow tunnel without gps with strong wind effects, as can be seen here.
This is inconsistent behavior at best and crappy programming at worst. Pilot control should be leading at all times, and if GPS loss was such a problem, it could have defered my vector (direction+speed) from just before losing gps. This is my 4th mavic lost to their programming. The 3rd randomly took a plunge whilst stationary (reimbursed), the 2nd was losing connection within 400m range and not returning, the first suicided into a tree without my command right after takeoff.

Are there any alternatives out there with similar camera quality and portability as the m2p which is not DJI?

I have a video. showing my controls at the accident, an earlier, similar accident, and cases where the mavic was functioning normally.

Attached are the flight logs of my last flight + the flight before where it did not return to home when it was supposed to but went moving further from home.

I don’t read files but @Meta4 does and if your going to stay with Mavics I would join our sister forum. DJI Mavic Drone Forum.

Reactions: Order66
I am one clue closer, false obstacle detection probably blocked my controls at the crucial moments, as it sometimes also did in mid air. when there were no birds around.
Proper input, risky location, bad and improper handling by drone.

I don’t read files but @Meta4 does and if your going to stay with Mavics I would join our sister forum. DJI Mavic Drone Forum.
The data from this incident has already been looked into over there:

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi,

There's the Autel Evo 2, it's similar to the mavic.

English please per posting guidelines
Estoy una pista más cerca, la detección de obstáculos falsos probablemente bloqueó mis controles en los momentos cruciales, como a veces también lo hacía en el aire. cuando no había pájaros alrededor.
Entrada adecuada, ubicación de riesgo, manejo inadecuado o inadecuado por parte del dron.
Me imagino que los sensores ópticos los tenías bien calibrados, el que en vuelo te arroje “falsas alarmas de obstáculos” muchas veces se debe a los rayos del Sol que le dan a los sensores y estos lo interpretan con un obstáculo, en espacios abiertos en vuelo es mejor desconectarlos, pero en el caso como el del video que nos muestras, puede ser uno de los factores que se sumó al accidente que tuviste...

Hi,

I can sure relate to that. My first couple of flights with my P4P were a bear. Knees knocked so loud it sounded like I had a woodpecker in my pants. When I moved the stick to go left, it went right, forward, it went backwards and throttle up made it land hard. Was on my 4th P4P when I discovered I was holding the controller backwards! Silly me....

Reactions: MTO
Obstacle detection, false or otherwise, would typically stop my drone - not cause it to move.
Side, obstacle detection on Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro, only work in Tripod mode. I don't know if that was what you were relying on for detection. I never realized that and lost the Mavic Pro into trees and a hill side...ouch!

Reactions: MTO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20