Drone stuck in a tall tree

5 pieces of PVC pipe = 100' :)

Rod

Reactions: Newbieguy
Mary Carillo's epic badminton rant from the Olympics comes to mind. If you've never seen it, Google it.

Is anyone nearby Paramus NJ with a drone? I'm trying to rescue mine from a tree and that could be one of the solutions. To hook it up somehow.
Thank you so much
Me too. Mine came down the next day in the wind, with damage.
Another drone with a hook can work, but useing a quick release is also needed in case the hook gets stuck too.
Good luck with some of the other ideas, some are very ingenious.

At one point, I got my Mavic Pro stuck 88 feet up in a tree. I called a climbing arborist, and he retrieved it in perfect condition for $75. My State Farm drone insurance paid his fee.

Good luck.

As someone mentioned I would most definitely hang a net or tarp under it if possible while you figure out how to retrieve it.

Reactions: safariman
I had mine stuck in a tree about 50 ft up.. I went out and bought a sling shot, strong fishing line and a few fishing weights.. Took about 20 or so tries but eventually was able to get it over and shake it down..fell into some brush and damages were minimal.. Good luck..

A friend of mine bought what he thought was similar to my Phantom 4 because it looked like it. He paid about $175 for it and it was just a larger version of a toy. No stabilization, etc. He was "flying" it one day and it flew away and landed in a 60 foot pine tree, stuck on one 2 inch limb about 40 feet up. He took his trusty .22 rimfire rifle and over a couple of late afternoons and between traffic, he shot the limb into and got his "drone" back. OH, I forgot to mention it flew onto federal park property which does not allow even heavy breathing, much less firearms or drones! Anyway, that is one more method if the conditions allow it.
Be careful though!
Jim
WA5TEF

A friend of mine bought what he thought was similar to my Phantom 4 because it looked like it. He paid about $175 for it and it was just a larger version of a toy. No stabilization, etc. He was "flying" it one day and it flew away and landed in a 60 foot pine tree, stuck on one 2 inch limb about 40 feet up. He took his trusty .22 rimfire rifle and over a couple of late afternoons and between traffic, he shot the limb into and got his "drone" back. OH, I forgot to mention it flew onto federal park property which does not allow even heavy breathing, much less firearms or drones! Anyway, that is one more method if the conditions allow it.
Be careful though!
Jim
WA5TEF
And a22 bullet travels 1 1/4 mile.

Reactions: Newbieguy
Be careful though!
Jim
WA5TEF

A horrible idea on a variety of levels. You gonna risk killing someone to save a drone? Remember your responsible for every bullet that comes out of that rifle. A .22 long rifle averages between 1400 and 1800 fps and can travel 1 1/4 miles.

LOL, have you ever tried to do that? Try it with 2 pieces of pipe and see how high you can get it. If you get pipe stiff enough to not bend at 40 feet, you probably won't be able to lift it.
Yeah, it would be entertaining,

I was thinking like schedule 80 4" down to 3/4" per 20' section.

You could also have a person on a ladder or 20' up, etc, put each piece together one at time guiding up the tree.

Rod

How high up? From the ground. You might approach a painting company with a cherry picker. Trade them some nice video of their operation for retrieving your drone.

Is Charlie Chaplin still around? Pretty sure he can get it down in some entertaining way[emoji16]

But hope the bird is recovered. Love to know the update on this

From looking at that picture, if it falls out of that tree, it's just going to get lodged into the branches of the tree next to it. I would start with the local tree service people (Yelp has a list) and see if any of them can help you. If none of them can help, call whatever power company owns those lines. It's probably PSEG, but I could be wrong.

You don't mention how high up it?
I would call a small tree service company and ask who could do a cash climb to retrieve your drone. Tree climbers are very handy with ropes so maybe he could snag it and lower it to the ground without more damage?

Is anyone nearby Paramus NJ with a drone? I'm trying to rescue mine from a tree and that could be one of the solutions. To hook it up somehow.
Thank you so much

My son had a good idea that I've used a few times:

Long length of string or twine. Decent size rock tied and taped at one end. Throw or swing the rock over the branch holding the drone (you can get quite high by swinging in a circle with speed). Once you get both ends of the string then shake the crap out of the branch until the drone falls.

I've used this method twice now with success. Might take a bit of time to get the string exactly where it's needed. But works well enough that I keep it in the back of my car all the time.

Thank you so much
I saw a neighborhood guy crash his drone into a tree and it got all caught up in the branches. It was in that tree for 6 months before it finally fell to the ground.

I believe you can find a tennis ball gun or cannon that could knock it out of the tree...but then there is the fall...not a great solution, but if it’s still up there today after all this time...why not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers