Drone registration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm told the registration makes you sign a statement that you understand that flying FPV without a spotter is illegal. Flying FPV is defined as not watching your craft LOS while flying it, no looking down at your display to insure you're capturing the video you want. Spotters can be an option to watch the craft, but without the aid of anything else, such as binoculars. So if you desire to be 100% legal after you register, all of us who like to fly a mile or two away to explore areas inaccessible by foot, can no longer do so. There are no exceptions when you're in the wilderness where no buildings or people are present. Is this the understanding everyone here in the forum has?

This kind of regulation is the type of bureaucratic BS that makes people break the law. Everyone is basically going to say to the FAA.... forget that, I'm flying where I want and how I want. In the event something happens that looks like FPV was being used, whose to say my craft didn't get a mind of it's own and fly away out of my control? It must have gone haywire! This is really piss poor legislation IMHO. Like most, I prefer following laws and rules in a civilized society, however this one is a bit over the top. OK, I'm done whining ;-)

Last edited:
100% not true!
That's a relief. Thx. FPV has been outlawed in all of Los Angeles County, including indoor events. They cancelled the indoor FPV flight area at the IDE show about a week ago in LA because of this. Although there are no exceptions in LA county for FPV, the Whittier Narrows AMA sanctioned flight field (within LA county) had FPV racers flying in good numbers yesterday. Nobody is policing it yet.

I'm told the registration makes you sign a statement that you understand that flying FPV without a spotter is illegal.
What they have you agree to is as follows:
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
Thats it, no biggie.

Reactions: Flyer91
That's a relief. Thx.

at first, i wasnt going to register but i said i'd just go over and see what kind of questions they were going to make me swear by.

i thought they were going to ask a lot of invasive questions and ask for serial numbers to the drone(s) but they didn't!

you had to agree to questions like, "I will fly under 400 feet and I will not fly over stadiums and crowds of people and other stuff that responsible pilots do anyway!

plus, i'm taking advantage of the $5 reimbursement if you register early!

Reactions: Flyer91
What they have you agree to is as follows:
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
Thats it, no biggie.
Well.... #2 would seem to be a problem for anyone flying a mile away. There's no way you can see the craft that far away. 1 mile away could be in "Radio LOS" but not really "visual LOS". I guess we've got some wiggle room for interpretation for the time being.

Here it is in all it's glory:

uas1.png

Attachments

• uas1.png
    uas1.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 350
Well.... #2 would seem to be a problem for anyone flying a mile away. There's no way you can see the craft that far away. 1 mile away could be in "Radio LOS" but not really "visual LOS". I guess we've got some wiggle room for interpretation for the time being.

I always carry binoculars and my spotter knows how to use them.

Thread closed. Registration is discussed in the general and news sections. There are already numerous threads. Please search before posting. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl