Drone Police - they're getting deployed

Do you have a registration" but more like can I see your registration. Big difference there.
ya there is a bit of a difference in how thats asked. Tho whats got me wondering is why he was even asking any one to see there registration yet when its not even past the end of the dead line of feb 16th for someone to be required to be registered in the first place. So intill then its not like they could really charge some one for not being registered before the date is past were its required.

ya there is a bit of a difference in how thats asked. Tho whats got me wondering is why he was even asking any one to see there registration yet when its not even past the end of the dead line of feb 16th for someone to be required to be registered in the first place. So intill then its not like they could really charge some one for not being registered before the date is past were its required.
That's only partly true. It depends on when the aircraft was purchased. For those who had the aircraft prior to Dec 21st (or near that date) you have until Feb. Any that were purchased after Dec 21st it is to be registered prior to first flight.

That's only partly true. It depends on when the aircraft was purchased. For those who had the aircraft prior to Dec 21st (or near that date) you have until Feb. Any that were purchased after Dec 21st it is to be registered prior to first flight.

ya true but thats one of them areas one has to also be the one to incriminate them selves for any one to even know when they bought it or if they ever flew before. But people do tend to do that to them selves all the time with other matters such as driving. Like if a cop pulls you over and says hey do you know why I pulled you over? if you say oh ya I was going a few miles over the limit. Then they just admitted they were speeding and incriminated them selves. But he very well might of just been pulling the person over for a tail light out and might not of even noticed the persons speed was over the limit and they can end up with 2 tickets instead of just one. Or even worse some one could of just swerved and got pulled over buy the cop to make sure the person was not drinking and the driver could say oh now Im just really tired and havnt sleep in a few days BAM driving while ability's impaired in a lot of places is the same penalty and fines as being busted for DWI. yet there is no real known test to tell if some one is lacking sleep or not and there own word is the only thing that can really be used against them to prove they were driveing while tired.

The only way a cop would really know if some one just got there drone or not would be if the person uttered some thing like oh well I was just takeing a test flight on my new drone I got for xmass officer. Then the cop would have every reason to assume it was new and thus needing to be registered to fly it even before the dead line is past for all of us that have being flying ours for a while already. But I guess being that feb 16th is coming up fast in less then 3 weeks from today the entire point will be moot anyway after that. But none the less intill then if they did happen to stop to talk to some one who has been flying for awhile already and still 3 weeks away before being required to. Even if they are registered already it could not hurt to say ya I am BUTTTTT just so you know its not past feb 16th yet and not past the dead line. They might even go and look it up later just to see if they were right or not and they "might" learn some thing.

Can't understand the self-Lawyering types who want to push every technicality button.

Everyone who flies needs to stay current with local, state and federal regulations. Even though state and local can not (legally) control airspace for John Q. Public they can say where you fly from, land etc. Also if you are flying for a govt entity they can and will regulate every aspect of your flight including height etc.

NC has a Drone Operator's Permitting system that you have to pass and have on your person if you fly in NC commercially.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Incident in Houston this weekend. Not me.

What's the facility behind you that you were attempting to fly near? I'm wondering if that's why the multi-officer response? It almost looks "airport-ish."

And officer needs probable cause to stop a vehicle. I think most of us know that. But an officer can ask for ID at any point. You only need to produce it if he has reason to believe that a crime has been, or is being committed. A much lower bar.

So do you produce an ID if there's no suspicious activity? It's your choice, but remember when you're operating your drone, you're representing all of us. If you chose to have a bit of attitude, and the next drone pilot they contact has one too... then by the time they spot a third, they just might say, "there's another one of those drone buttheads over there."

S

Here is a link to local Texas drone related penal code. Everyone in Texas should read this. It is not just FAA regs that you have to abide by. GOVERNMENT CODE CHAPTER 423. USE OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT
I've not seen many other laws written as poorly as this one. If an attorney saw this and said it was fine, they should have their degree taken away. The biggest issue I have with it is that it attempts to copy and paste other local laws but does not even do that very good.

No one needs to identify themselves in any way unless they are being detained. They can only be detained if they are suspected of a crime. Just as LEO cannot suspect you are not, lets say, legal to be in the US and therefore require ID (there needs to be _reason_ for that assumption), I'd say that they don't have a right to ask for ID for the same reason and while you are flying.
According US Code, you'd need to show local law enforcement the registration certificate:

An operator of an aircraft shall make available for inspection a certificate of registration for the aircraft when requested by a United States Government, State, or local law enforcement officer.

But there is no mention of any requirement to show ID and I'm pretty sure rulings on the US Constitution would trump local and US Code.

So again, the LEO card states to do things if the person is suspected of flying unsafe or being unregistered. There would need to be something indicating either of these things before they could ask for registration and ID info.
By refusing to show your ID, what do you hope to accomplish?

You're accomplishing a bad image for drone pilots.

S
Well, that is exactly what I think, was just seeing if Tcope had a different perspective since he seemed to be advising not to show ID.
Since we are the only source of PR for our hobby, we should each, in my opinion, focus on how we can help the hobby and not whether a perceived right has been violated or an injustice has occurred because we've been asked to show our ID.

Those guys (I once again remind everyone that I was not at this) were flying the coastline near the Port of Houston. (Critical infrastructure as defined by Texas Penal Code). I have gotten permission to fly almost anywhere I asked. I have found that if you approach it the right way you get a lot farther.

Everyone who flies needs to stay current with local, state and federal regulations. Even though state and local can not (legally) control airspace for John Q. Public they can say where you fly from, land etc. Also if you are flying for a govt entity they can and will regulate every aspect of your flight including height etc.

NC has a Drone Operator's Permitting system that you have to pass and have on your person if you fly in NC commercially.

Where is the Like button for this????

Those guys (I once again remind everyone that I was not at this) were flying the coastline near the Port of Houston. (Critical infrastructure as defined by Texas Penal Code). I have gotten permission to fly almost anywhere I asked. I have found that if you approach it the right way you get a lot farther.

This is a life-lesson missed by many and can be applied to all facets of life.

Here is a link to local Texas drone related penal code. Everyone in Texas should read this. It is not just FAA regs that you have to abide by. GOVERNMENT CODE CHAPTER 423. USE OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT

OMG....that law is all about protecting government and big business. This law does not discuss the legality of flying just the taking and use of images. It is just overkill as there are already privacy laws that protect people on their own property.

Reactions: skyeboysteve

That law is partially incompatible with FAA guidance. See excerpt below. It will be interesting to see how these types of laws play out that are in conflict with Federal law or rule. If you live in the USA or are a scholar of American law you should remember that no state or local law may conflict with Federal law. Local law may be more restrictive but not less restrictive in this case.

A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly:

(1) operates an unmanned aircraft over a critical infrastructure facility and the unmanned aircraft is not higher than 400 feet above ground level;

Adding to the previous comment by LuvMyTJ, I teach a course on LEO Response to Drone Complaints for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (Instructor certification #329775).

Local law enforcement is not the "FAA police" but if there is a complaint involving a drone or UAV, they will ask for the required registration document which the operator must carry when flying a UAV. When local law enforcement receives a complaint (accident, injury, etc.) and a drone/UAV is involved, the responding officer is directed to collect pertinent information to be provided to the regional FAA office (FSDO) for review for any further action or referral to the NTSB. If the complaint is against a commercial operator the N number is part of the information collected by local law enforcement. The officer will enforce state and local privacy and property regulations.

Reactions: NEair and Sagebrush
Makes sense and seems similar to any subject of a complaint.

For example... illegal immigration via boat along America's coastline. See it frequently here in S. Fla. and it's local LEO on scene first then hand over to ICE, etc.

Why any different than LEO on scene first to drone complaint with turn over to DOT/FAA as required.

Reactions: Wang J Coon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31