Drone Pilots Association - Free to join...

Peter saw your chat on Creative Live - was super informative. Thanks for keeping us informed.

MC

petersachs said:
I just launched the Drone Pilots Association, to represent the interests of non-hobbyist small drone pilots.

Free to join for anyone who is interested.

Register here: http://dronepilotsassociation.com/

Loved the webcast, watched a bunch for 2 days and I learned alot! I look forward to the future you represent! I will participate in your above association. Thanks for the opportunity.

A very good idea!

As a volunteer, I use my quads to photograph stream restoration projects, erosion, habitat restoration and the like for two NGOs as well as a county parks department. I'm pretty sure the FAA would not consider this to be "hobbyist" even though it is not commerical (I accept no remuneration).

I've jointed the DPA but it would be nice if your mission statement could include such volunteer uses.

I am not commercial and still a hobbyist but do want to volunteer my time and flights for local services in my community that may need it. I look forward to see how this develops and how I can help this develop.

Not trying to start anything, I think we're all pretty set in our views on the matter, but I'm really torn on the issue. I totally agree that commercialization should be open to all, but I've had the misfortune of meeting some of my fellow flyers. I most certainly do not wish to be associated with that, so how would you propose that a sense of professionalism and responsibility carry over to what seems a pretty open group?

Any chance of the DPA site being upgraded to a secure server? I noticed there was none on the site. It didn't make me want to enter personal information.

Mike said:
Any chance of the DPA site being upgraded to a secure server? I noticed there was none on the site. It didn't make me want to enter personal information.

At the moment, we're operating with zero funds, so no secure server at the moment. However, I modified the personal info collected during registration to username, email address, name, state, county only. Now street address, city, zipcode and telephone number are optional answers.

petersachs said:
Good question. Education, Training, Online testing, Member rules and self-policing. Of course we'd only be able to police those within the DPA. We'd only be able to speak out against bad actors who are not members.

Good answer, but I have so many more questions.

I think if you're going to do this you should require membership fees. You'll get no where without the cash, and I think pretty much everyone understands that. Besides this is a hobby where you spend money like a drunken sailor...

I think you're going in the right direction with this, but I think some of us assholes will need to see more.

Tstanfordjr said:
What is a non-hobbyist drone pilot?

The segment of owners who aren't flying just for the fun of it, but also not necessarily as a commercial enterprise.

Examples:
Search and Rescue
Non-profits
Civil agencies

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl