Drone owner whose drone was shot down sues in fed court

will be nice to get some actual case law around this stuff.

Well hallelujah! It is about time this law breaker and the judges actions be overturned. He needs to be charged with several crimes in this case, not let off. If they are gonna been hobby craft "aircraft" I want the same protections as full scale aircraft.

I'll betcha the "drone slayer" ain't worried about his personal info being publicly available on the internet, lol.

That was one of the issues a caller to the NPR radio broadcast I referred to in my thread "Drone Discussion on NPR Radio with the FAA" was about. Whereas, this lawyer Ryan told the audience and the caller that it could be considered legal to shoot one down!?

From what I understood in the article, the guy that calls himself the 'drone slayer' has shot down a few drones that flew over his property. You have to ask yourself one thing…..if he doesn't want drones over his property, what is he trying to hide?

Also….he doesn't own the airspace above his property, so let it fly (providing the person flying the drone isn't using it peep on the owner or using it to find out ways to trespass on his property)

I do not agree with shooting down the drone and am not siding with the individual at all. Based on other articles I've read I think the plaintiff is wanting the Feds to clarify some points. What constitutes airspace? 80 feet, 10 feet, 6 inches? There is also an increase in hovercrafts. Would they be able to skim a few inches through your yard? As someone mentioned in another post, what about kites?

I do not agree with shooting down the drone and am not siding with the individual at all. Based on other articles I've read I think the plaintiff is wanting the Feds to clarify some points. What constitutes airspace? 80 feet, 10 feet, 6 inches? There is also an increase in hovercrafts. Would they be able to skim a few inches through your yard? As someone mentioned in another post, what about kites?

The Feds (FAA) have already clarified what constitutes "airspace" and that begins the moment any aircraft leaves the ground, so ANY height. What needs to be clarified is what is "personal airspace" around private and public property (different issues between private and public areas in my opinion).

I say the bullets are Unmanned Projectiles that eventually fall out of the sky.... Oh wait so it Phantom Drones. Well Drones fall out of the sky "less often"

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

How righteous was it to shoot in the air in this crowded neighborhood and about 600 yards from a airstrip?.

Attachments

• Drone Slayer.jpg
    Drone Slayer.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 640
Maybe except for Kentucky, but most municipalities have strong prohibitions on firing weapons, and especially into the air; a few die annually from such 'shenanigans.' If "no one owns the airspace" above your property, then you conceivably have equal right to launch any and all sorts of alternative devices yourself which might purely by coincidence be deleterious to the flight of any passing drone. Just sayin'. I predict a creative renaissance in slingshots that can shoot fine spectra lines up to 50' vertically, entangling all manners of prop-driven aircraft; a hefty bounty can be demanded for retrieval. Small business opportunities abound.

Agreed, this will be interesting to see played out. Personally, I go along with the DJI attorney's interpretation of the law....

Since US federal law, under the FAA puts UAVs (drones) within federal jurisdiction for registration, operational statutes and safety of aircraft within the NAS, by classifying UAVs as aircraft, they should be afforded the same level of protection from hostile acts as any other class of aircraft.

Reactions: Blessed77

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl