Drone laws in Germany?

Reaction score
I'll be flying to Frankfurt in a few days time and would like to bring my drone there. Does anyone knows the rules and regulations for flying in Germany?
Also any recommended places to fly in Frankfurt would also be greatly appreciated!

That will be hard for you... The Germany law are almost like every European Country law. In few words : You can't use drone.

You will need a lot of authorization and flying licence. It took me like 3 months to have all documents.

But, the controls are low, very low. So if you attempt to fly anyway, please follow this simple advice :

Don't use drone in any towns.
Visual flying only (keep an eye on your UAV), don't use for immersion flights.
Don't move away more than 100m
Don't climb more that 150m
Don't fly over people/animals
Respect a distance of 30m from people/animals.
Fly only on wide space like country side, forests, fields... No city, no castle at all.
Write your name/cell phone on your UAV

If police comes, don't run... Try to "explain" them why you want to practice drone.

If you want to fly over big town like Frankfurt... You'll need a special authorization and You'll not be able to get it as you are not German and you are not professional.

That sucks. They were selling the phantom 3 at Frankfurt airport the other day I was there. Looks like it will be a case of fly and don't get caught. Get your shot and get out!

No offense....but here in POrtugal (Europe) there isn´t any law....

Except a good common sense like don`t fly around aeroports, militar zones, etc,ettc...

ON popular drone footage web site there are hundreds of videos shot in Germany.

I dont think you will have too many problems there.

I travelled to Hamburg earlier this year and from my understanding/fading memory the rules are:-
  • do not fly within 5KM of an airfield
  • stay within LOS
  • it is either 30-50m away from crowded places
  • drone to weigh no more than 7KG otherwise it is regarded as a commercial UAV and you need a license, the Phantom 3 is fine for personal use.
Plus the usual sensible ones!

That said I saw a DJI Phantom being flown at the end of the runway where Airbus builds their planes next to the river elbe so there just like anywhere you get the odd lunatic.

If you google it you will find a couple of official guides and a coouple of intepreted guides just ensure they're dated within the past 6-12 months.

Hi, I also have looked for information about flying in germany and this is what I found:

1) If your drone is less than 5 kilograms you do not require any type of License to operate in Germany.
2) There are restrictions not to fly 1.5 kilometers from an airport.
3) There are some restricted airspaces that are Military Facilities, and Nuclear Power Plants.
4) You must fly line of sight 300 meters maximum and not over 100 meters in altitud.

There are couple more details that you can read in my sources, even though the current transportation minister has issued a note saying he will change the current legislation nothing has occurred in that matter as of today.

Just so you are not taking my word on this, here are the two sites from where I obtained this information.

I hope this helps!!

Civilian drones and the legal issues surrounding their use -

Dobrindt plant neue Regelungen für Drohnen-Flüge

Reactions: Noelani
That will be hard for you... The Germany law are almost like every European Country law. In few words : You can't use drone.

I don't agree. In Norway, flying recreational the following rules applies:
  • 150 m from persons, buildings and cars etc., except when starting/stopping where closer range is allowed. You may fly closer if the persons or the owner of buildings agrees.
  • The flight should not be a nuisance to the public.
  • 122 m altitude
  • FPV if a spotter is involved, but LOS should be held.
  • Not closer than 5 km over a airHUB (no rules for smaller airports, I think), and there is not a lot of them in Norway.
  • It is also not allowed to fly model aircraft over or near military areas, embassies or prisons.
  • Not allowed under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating or anesthetic.
  • Not allowed to attached any weapons of any kind :D
"Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken. Understand?" - Morpheus in Matrix:p

I think many of the same rules applied for the other Scandinavian country.

Source

I been here for 2 years and able to fly anywhere I wanted to as long as u use common sense, castle's and all! FYI: for Castles just be there very early or very late when there's no one around or just a few people, I found once people know you are there to film and not just play with your UAV it becomes OK.

In Poland the easiest way is to download this app DroneRadar · Lataj bezpiecznie po dobrej stronie and input info of your drone and how high you are planning to flight, when you have green light your ready to go, yellow there are some restrictions, red ban for flying. Yesterday and on suterday I had green, today I have red because military reserved low pass just above my house :)

Poland is crazy to fly....in Kracovia i have almost my drone confiscated......nutz people!

You will need a lot of authorization and flying licence. It took me like 3 months to have all documents.

But, the controls are low, very low. So if you attempt to fly anyway, please follow this simple advice :

Don't use drone in any towns.
Visual flying only (keep an eye on your UAV), don't use for immersion flights.
Don't move away more than 100m
Don't climb more that 150m
Don't fly over people/animals
Respect a distance of 30m from people/animals.
Fly only on wide space like country side, forests, fields... No city, no castle at all.
Write your name/cell phone on your UAV

If police comes, don't run... Try to "explain" them why you want to practice drone.

If you want to fly over big town like Frankfurt... You'll need a special authorization and You'll not be able to get it as you are not German and you are not professional.
I really don't know where you got this information. It's far easier to fly in Europe than in the US. Just follow the basic rules.

Germany is actually one of the EU countries with the most favorable drone laws. For example, there is no need to register your drone. What you should do is to practice caution where you fly, to avoid airport vicinity, people and residential areas as well as stay within the usual limits (max altitude, line of sight...) and carry with you an insurance certificate.

As said before, when you avoid congested areas no one will cause you any problems. Should police question you, keep friendly and show them that you're a responsible drone pilot and have an insurance, at least.

As said before, when you avoid congested areas no one will cause you any problems. Should police question you, keep friendly and show them that you're a responsible drone pilot and have an insurance, at least.

Do you just need general liability insurance {haftpflichtversicherung} or is there a specific insurance you need?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic