Drone HELIPADS discussion

Lets talk reality for a moment, shall we?

Drone manufactures have done an excellent job painting a psychological image in our minds of drone enthusiasts hiking up a mountain to some vergin pure, picturesk scene only we can capture then share the beauty to hords of jaw dropping admirers.

Reality is few drone operators can hike up two flights of stairs without getting winded.

As a YouTube film content creator that actually does hike up mountains, I can tell you I shed anything I can. I will not even bring my hair comb on my climbs.

I hand release and hand catch when I don't need to so I'm experienced at doing it when I'm balancing on a small rock, between trees, sweating and tryingn to ignore three mosquitoes biting me at the same time.

...amen!

Reactions: DougAles
Here's my landing pad...bit static and
LP1.jpg
LP2.jpg
seasonal but

Reactions: DougAles
Here's mine, it's low enough that if I miss it landing, the phantom blades won't hit it. I've had RTH land right on it. I'm going to put adjustable legs on the next one, and a table level.

bc7e9fa61093aaa6b4b9ee93d9ae2dc4.jpg

Reactions: stones
Why not just take off and land from your hand? surely much safer and less to carry when you head into the wilderness.

================================================================

Did you know that drones have propellors, and that humans have fingers ?

Reactions: Fisherch
View attachment 85417

Lets talk reality for a moment, shall we?..........Reality is few drone operators can hike up two flights of stairs without getting winded. COULDNT AGREE MORE....!

I hand release and hand catch when I don't need to so I'm experienced at doing it when I'm balancing on a small rock, between trees, sweating and tryingn to ignore three mosquitoes biting me at the same time.
==============================================================

Here's something you may not know. The Planet Earth has an atomosphere. We call that atmosphere "AIR". It can move around. We call that "breezes" or, if it gets stronger...WIND. Sometimes the breeze or wind is sneaky...especially around rough terrain....can sneak up on you with no warning at all !

I suspect you are new to Planet Earth and drones - may I suggest you go to U TUBE where you can see all manner of people operating all manner of drones. What you will learn, is that drones, in "hover" can move around a bit...both in altitude and in location. Standing in an environment such as you describe, seems to be an excellent place to take advantage of either the "auto-land" or "controller-controlled" features of Phantom drones.

I agree that trying to transport a "helio-pad" like card table around is not necessarily practical if you are like me...like hiking and like carrying my drone and controller around.

For landing my drone in hostile territory ( beach sand...loose dirt....brush...etc.)...I have invented and will try and patent my latest top-secret invention... folds up for transport, and can be used for all manner of things ( especially if you can get a pretty and "agreeable" girl to go with you )...I call it...a BEACH TOWEL !

As a few of you are aware there are quite a few Helipads out there for drones , however my thoughts on these for serious flyers are pretty naff.

There are a few fabric ones which are good, but still just not the real deal when it comes to flying professionally , so........

I demonstrated a few different names and models , all but one being non fabric. My fabric one of choice folds out of a bag with some pegs. Pretty good for backpacking up a mountain and spare of the moment droning.

I have designed and build a mobile folding landing platform which will be on trials in just a few days :) it's a solid platform , aluminium base and 2ft wide so fits P4 , to p1 range, mavic and inspire .

It's foldable so fits in boot of your car and lays flat. The concept version is fitted with LED lights , as you would find on a conventional UK helipad blue and red static.

What are your thoughts and do you think it's a good idea having a stable platform to land on rather than grass or dust etc ..

I needed something that I could land on and be stable , away from grass and dirt which was light and has a carry handle ... pics to follow
a376b5d2331b0a929994a4258193b0f4.jpg
6507b27355e013f2c30ba4083a636fa6.jpg
45a0a48dfe18f2ad95b8fdc2f69ac8a8.jpg
Metal and compass interference?

IMG_6619.PNG
IMG_4572.JPG
...I suspect you are new to Planet Earth and drones...

Thank you Peter.

My time spent on Earth thus far is a bit over 50 years. Not that I'm bragging Peter. I'm sure many members here have spent more time on this planet then me.

My time with DJI brand drones is attached. This does not include other brands I've operated that are not tracked by the DJI Go app, mostly Hubsan. Focusing only on DJI drones, my current experience is 17 hours and 31 minutes of flight time. Like time spent on earth, I'm sure some members here exceed my experience with drones, but Peter, I'm willing to estimate my experience would not classify me as new with drones.

Also, for your reference Peter, I have attached a meme I created that has become my philosophy of life, offered only to communicate where I'm coming from.

Finally, below is an example of the type of videos I make, offered as point of reference. At one point in the video, you can see me hand catching one of my drones.

As far as personal safety is concerned, if I were to write down a list of my behaviors from highest risk to lowest, hand catching my drone would not make the fist page. If hand catching a drone and all activities more risky then that are behaviors you choose to not partake, well, thats your personal choice. I pass no judgment on how you chose to live your life Peter. Thank you for reading my comment Peter and happy flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: stones
This drone helipad is for sale, concept version 40 pounds with LEDs plus postage

View attachment 85483 View attachment 85481
Finally, below is an example of the type of videos I make, offered as point of reference. At one point in the video, you can see me hand catching one of my drones....... If hand catching a drone and all activities more risky then that are behaviors you choose to not partake, well, thats your personal choice. I pass no judgment on how you chose to live your life Peter. Thank you for reading my comment Peter and happy flying.

Thank YOU for that outstanding video!

Brings back delightful memories of a trip wife and I enjoyed some years back to the Carribean - stayed at similar resorts and frolicked on similar beaches. In those years we had a Cessna Centurion ( T-210 ) "island hopped" to absolutely delicious places; of course no drones then - but thanks to your video, reminded us what a great time can be had out there. ( later sold the T-210 - (they are only "good" for ONE water landing) and now have the Lake 200EP you see in my "avatar".).

Am following your lead - taking our Phantom 3 with us in both our boat and airplane trips. Havnt figured out a way to safely operate it or even carry it with me on my Sea Doo "jet ski"...YET !

We do disagree as to yours and some others in here method of landing one's Phantom. I have found the "auto-land" feature a bit slow - especially if coming down from higher altitudes. So much of the time I used the remote to do that. In either event, I am continually impressed by the technology - the landings are smooth and steady.

I do have some "after-market" accessories on my Phantom. For example, "out-of-the-box" I was concerned about the danger of "tipping over" when landing in high winds, and was also concerned about how close the camera is to the ground with the "stock" landing gear....- rough terrain, brush, weeds, sand, etc., so one of the "after market" accessories I put on resolves that. ( unless the area I want to recover my drone is especially sandy and/or full of high weeds - in which case I throw down a heavy beach towel.

Hopefully, now that I have learned how sneaky, unpredictable, aggressive and mean tall trees are, my present Phantom will last me a bit longer than my last one !

Thank YOU for that outstanding video!

Brings back delightful memories of a trip wife and I enjoyed some years back to the Carribean - stayed at similar resorts and frolicked on similar beaches. In those years we had a Cessna Centurion ( T-210 ) "island hopped" to absolutely delicious places; of course no drones then - but thanks to your video, reminded us what a great time can be had out there. ( later sold the T-210 - (they are only "good" for ONE water landing) and now have the Lake 200EP you see in my "avatar".).

Am following your lead - taking our Phantom 3 with us in both our boat and airplane trips. Havnt figured out a way to safely operate it or even carry it with me on my Sea Doo "jet ski"...YET !

We do disagree as to yours and some others in here method of landing one's Phantom. I have found the "auto-land" feature a bit slow - especially if coming down from higher altitudes. So much of the time I used the remote to do that. In either event, I am continually impressed by the technology - the landings are smooth and steady.

I do have some "after-market" accessories on my Phantom. For example, "out-of-the-box" I was concerned about the danger of "tipping over" when landing in high winds, and was also concerned about how close the camera is to the ground with the "stock" landing gear....- rough terrain, brush, weeds, sand, etc., so one of the "after market" accessories I put on resolves that. ( unless the area I want to recover my drone is especially sandy and/or full of high weeds - in which case I throw down a heavy beach towel.

Hopefully, now that I have learned how sneaky, unpredictable, aggressive and mean tall trees are, my present Phantom will last me a bit longer than my last one !

Just play a sound of a chainsaw and those trees will behave nicely.

Jokes aside I use the foldable landing pad, I also hand catch if needed. Weight is everything so can't carry heavy equipment around.

Hillbilly Landing Pad.... (Laughs) Piece of outdoor carpet.. little spray paint.. cost.. $0 (leftovers from neighbors project) P4 lands on X every time.. (so far)
c233bd4836bbc880081bbc20c3d46158.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT