Drone HELIPADS discussion

Reaction score
As a few of you are aware there are quite a few Helipads out there for drones , however my thoughts on these for serious flyers are pretty naff.

There are a few fabric ones which are good, but still just not the real deal when it comes to flying professionally , so........

I demonstrated a few different names and models , all but one being non fabric. My fabric one of choice folds out of a bag with some pegs. Pretty good for backpacking up a mountain and spare of the moment droning.

I have designed and build a mobile folding landing platform which will be on trials in just a few days :) it's a solid platform , aluminium base and 2ft wide so fits P4 , to p1 range, mavic and inspire .

It's foldable so fits in boot of your car and lays flat. The concept version is fitted with LED lights , as you would find on a conventional UK helipad blue and red static.

What are your thoughts and do you think it's a good idea having a stable platform to land on rather than grass or dust etc ..

I needed something that I could land on and be stable , away from grass and dirt which was light and has a carry handle ... pics to follow
a376b5d2331b0a929994a4258193b0f4.jpg
6507b27355e013f2c30ba4083a636fa6.jpg
45a0a48dfe18f2ad95b8fdc2f69ac8a8.jpg

Reactions: Cookie$Dough
I could definitely support your creative genious in regards to this concept, and would take one off your hands. What would be your cost to own a Helipad like this with built in LEDs??

Well done, I like the concept and the design. Perhaps I might suggest some form of tie down or stake to secure the legs to the ground, it would improve stability, and perhaps, just to be really out there, some spirit levels to make sure it it all level> I also would like to know what sort of price bracket are you pitching this at?

Dunno, off course slightly and hook only one leg on the table and it's off to DJI to get fixed.

I like the idea of a large folding landing pad made off that ColorChecker thing like the guy here DIY Colorchecker Chart. proposed as a landing pad. Might be hard to do on fabric for color accuracy, but I dunno. Foldable waterproof board lying flat on the ground maybe.

As someone who loves to make stuff, I like the look and it's cool. I like the thought of keeping out of the grass and dust. But as GMack said, my only concern would be the drone falling off. If I was going to use it, it would only be with stakes holding it down. I've seen tables like this blow over over pretty easy. Otherwise, looks great.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts, I am. Introducing 4 pegs to use on grass or loose gravel for stability. Leds will be fitted shortly (awaiting delivery) and I will do a picture at night and day . I haven't got a price tag in mind as yes but it will only be for materials as I'm not looking for profit on here for fellow pilots. I will add up and let you know when all finished :)

It would be a little too small of a landing area for my comfort zone, but I like the design. If you get a handful of lawn stakes, you can quickly secure the legs to the ground.

Why not just take off and land from your hand? surely much safer and less to carry when you head into the wilderness.

Looks good, I like the design, and patterns. But I have to admit I would be nervous with that tight of a landing zone. Have you tried the landing on it yet? I launch from a simple car mat, and have hand caught it every single landing..Ive never seen the quad land..lol
Keep us posted with this table idea and fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

Great Idea.

I use a "carpet sample" that is 3'x4'. It lays in the back of my Yukon and I just slide it out and lay it on the grass or dirt. Since it is carpet it has some cushion and is fairly uniform for the sensors even with the uneven grass. The weight is so that wind and the prop-wash does not bother it either. Nothing to fall off of either.

Good job and love the professional look!

edspilot

Has anyone tried using a yoga mat as a landing pad? Looking on Amazon, they run between $12 and $20 and they usually have carrying straps.

Looks good, I like the design, and patterns. But I have to admit I would be nervous with that tight of a landing zone. Have you tried the landing on it yet? I launch from a simple car mat, and have hand caught it every single landing..Ive never seen the quad land..lol
Keep us posted with this table idea and fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

First landing on it in the pitch black and in manual mode. Actually quite easy and plenty of room. If it was a gusty wind I'd rather land it on my fabric helipad or catch it but I'll have a go in some wind to see the outcome. I'll upload a video once it's all completed :)

First landing on it in the pitch black and in manual mode. Actually quite easy and plenty of room. If it was a gusty wind I'd rather land it on my fabric helipad or catch it but I'll have a go in some wind to see the outcome. I'll upload a video once it's all completed :)

Sweet...anxious to check it out. Looking forward to it. Good luck, and be safe[emoji51]

Reactions: embayweather
Easier for me to comment rather than actually do it myself :p but how about adjustable legs as most places I fly aren't level.

DJI_0031.JPG
...but still just not the real deal when it comes to flying professionally , so....

Lets talk reality for a moment, shall we?

Drone manufactures have done an excellent job painting a psychological image in our minds of drone enthusiasts hiking up a mountain to some vergin pure, picturesque scene only we can capture with a drone then share the beauty to hords of jaw dropping admirers.

Reality is few drone operators can hike up two flights of stairs without getting winded.

As a YouTube film content creator that actually does hike up mountains, I can tell you I shed anything I can. I will not even bring my hair comb on my climbs. Landing pad? No way would that make the cut.

I hand release and hand catch when I don't need to so I'm experienced at doing it when I'm balancing on a small rock, between trees, sweating and tryingn to ignore three mosquitoes biting me at the same time.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94