Drone "Hardshells" or other compact travel solutions?

Reaction score
Hi,
I am travelling and want to take my drone with me except do not want another bag.
I want to fit the drone inside my "backpacker" style pack...what is there available?

So far the best I've found is:
Droneguard - DroneGuard CS 400 Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
GPC - GPC DJI Phantom 4 Backpack Fieldline Edition | GPC, Inc.
Lowepro - Lowepro DroneGuard Kit Quadcopter Case

All however are backpacks style but I want something like a hardshell you would buy for a phone so i can protect it and not waste space surrounding even if the remote is left loose.

Any options out there?

Appreciated.

Reactions: a31burgervan
Hi,
I am travelling and want to take my drone with me except do not want another bag.
I want to fit the drone inside my "backpacker" style pack...what is there available?

All however are backpacks style but I want something like a hardshell you would buy for a phone so i can protect it and not waste space surrounding even if the remote is left loose.

Any options out there?

Appreciated.
If you're using airlines and that bag isn't going one the hold, you'll be very limited in your choice. Apart from the drone and it's kit, what else are you expecting this item to carry?

If you're using airlines and that bag isn't going one the hold, you'll be very limited in your choice. Apart from the drone and it's kit, what else are you expecting this item to carry?

It will be going inside the hold.
You can pack the remote and parts in the suitcase but I want to protect the body of the drone itself in the most compact/lightweight way

Could the case that comes with the P4 fit a P3? If so, I remember seeing a pack with straps on it that this factory P4 case would slide right into. I am sure someone on here would be willing to sell the factory case to you cheap. They are more robust than they look like in a picture. Good luck!

It will be going inside the hold.
You can pack the remote and parts in the suitcase but I want to protect the body of the drone itself in the most compact/lightweight way

I really don't know that I'd risk putting the AC in the hold, given the way baggage handlers chuck luggage around. I do it the other way round - the hardshell is hand luggage and the rest goes in the hold, safe in a clamshell Samsonite. I can get the following in the hardshell; AC, RC, DJI shoulder harness, four batteries, a set of props plus a spare set, tablet extender bracket for the iPad Air, a stubby flathead screwdriver, hex keys, two spare SD cards, anemometer, reading glasses, spare short Anker lightning to USB cable, sunglasses, 100w charger, AC lead and plug adapter, two ND filters and finally, a wide-brimmed hat (helps stop the reflection of the sky on the iPad screen) the ipad itself and sunshade. A charging hub and Phantom Angel discharger goes into a small carry-on backpack you're allowed to shove under then seat in front of you..

Look at the Manfrotto D1 as well. I have that one and love it. Taking my P3P with me to Hawaii in May, will be my first time taking my P3P on a plane. Planning for the D1 to be my hand-carry and I should be able to fit all the P3P accessories (drone, blades, charger, batteries, etc.), my gopros and accessories (batteries, mounts, karma grip, etc.), and my surface pro. Everything else will go in my check-in luggage. That is my plan anyway.

Look at the Manfrotto D1 as well. I have that one and love it. Taking my P3P with me to Hawaii in May, will be my first time taking my P3P on a plane. Planning for the D1 to be my hand-carry and I should be able to fit all the P3P accessories (drone, blades, charger, batteries, etc.), my gopros and accessories (batteries, mounts, karma grip, etc.), and my surface pro. Everything else will go in my check-in luggage. That is my plan anyway.

Brother, thank you for you suggestion.
I actually own this backpack but I am looking for something that i can put INSIDE my backpack to go in the hold that is hard.
Than you for taking the time to respond ahah and glad my current solution was recommended although this backpack has a lot of wasted space.

You know when you are backpacking and need to maximise storage ..... this is the scenario but i want the drone to be safe.

I am surprised there isnt just a moulded hard-shell style case that fits exactly around the drones themselves maintaining their shape but providing that robust layer.

The search continues!

Tha AC and batteries MUST be in your carry on as they are lithium. I also carry a copy of the regs that govern lithium battery carriage in case i meet one of the many workers who dont seem to know their own rules. I even got a letter from my regularcairline confirming their policy. You can find the IATA regs online that most airlines comply with.. any Lion battery under 100Wh is ok in hand luggage .. phantom batteries are rated 83.3 Wh. .. you van carry as many as you like. But UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES in your checked bags due to fire risk.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Tha AC and batteries MUST be in your carry on as they are lithium. I also carry a copy of the regs that govern lithium battery carriage in case i meet one of the many workers who don't seem to know their own rules. I even got a letter from my regular airline confirming their policy. You can find the IATA regs online that most airlines comply with.. any Lion battery under 100Wh is ok in hand luggage .. phantom batteries are rated 83.3 Wh. .. you van carry as many as you like. But UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES in your checked bags due to fire risk.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Good reminder, albeit I don't think the OP stated they intend to shove the batteries in the hold, did they; just the AC?

Good reminder, albeit I don't think the OP stated they intend to shove the batteries in the hold, did they; just the AC?
True just sharing as it took a lot of research and frustrating calls to airlines and border protection agencies to dig out the facts. They dont make it easy and hopefully i can save others some pain. Last thing you want is a ruined holiday because a jobsworth who doesnt know their trade stops you boarding and makes you bin 100s of dollars worth of batteries! these days if you argue they call security and youre toast.. better to have the paperwork to politeky show them and win the day.

True just sharing as it took a lot of research and frustrating calls to airlines and border protection agencies to dig out the facts. They don't make it easy and hopefully i can save others some pain. Last thing you want is a ruined holiday because a jobsworth who doesn't know their trade stops you boarding and makes you bin 100s of dollars worth of batteries! these days if you argue they call security and you're toast.. better to have the paperwork to politely show them and win the day.

Here in Europe, there appears to be an accepted "standard" (BA version attached) to which those I've used adhere, albeit, Swissair and Gulf Air limit the number of spare batteries to two in hand baggage (carry-on). These others I've checked in the past - Iberia, Lufthansa, Air France, EasyJet, RyanAir, Monarch - are fine to take them in hand baggage (carry-on) and do not have a maximum.

Thos Cook do not mention Lithium batteries.

I've just checked South African Airways and they state they do not allow them on their flights at all!

Emirates have a very comprehensive list and they are fine to take in hand baggage (carry-on).

If you're planning massive flying hours there, you'll be pleased to know you can take upto 20 spare <100wh batteries on Thai!

AA state "Yes" to carry-on, as do Delta.

Re departure security, only Heathrow and Belfast have asked to see inside the backpack - both made me remove the AC and RC so they could examine them...

Attachments

• lithium_battery.pdf
    66.5 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Reactions: Andy-M
Hi,

Any options out there?

Appreciated.

Thanks for the lowepro link just ordered myself one ! - best price I've found

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

For what it's worth I use the Manfrotto backpack And travel a lot in Asia and so far no issues.I do put the batteries in a li on safety bag but touch wood it's been good.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: kingkong90210
I use a nanuk 945 case and just put the AC and accessories in checked luggage. Never had a single issue as the case could pretty much be stood on without damage. I carry the batteries in bags with my carry on. I do have a drone backpack but more and more I tend to leave it at home in favour of a case that I can drop or throw around without worry.

Check out Think Tank Helipak, now $119. I paid $275 about 18mos ago, worth every penny. Great backpack, top quality materials, especially the zippers. Holds a lot of gear.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic