Drone Fishing

To Phill2 and Adam - I see we are thinking about two kinds of fishing. One is simply deliver and drop at desired spot using the wp option we may even drop more bait do desired spot to attract fish around and then start fishing.
What Phill wants is moreless drone trolling where the fish strike release bait from drone. I like both but being a bit "coward" do not know how long to troll keeping in mind heavier load => less flying time plus the wind at sea to get safely back.
The video thunderbird posted with the clip in plastic tube seems fine.
How about some sort of 3D printed plastic clip, that locks at the landing gear similary to P4 camera holder...
Good morning

Reactions: 66Fury
To Phill2 and Adam - I see we are thinking about two kinds of fishing. One is simply deliver and drop at desired spot using the wp option we may even drop more bait do desired spot to attract fish around and then start fishing.
What Phill wants is moreless drone trolling where the fish strike release bait from drone. I like both but being a bit "coward" do not know how long to troll keeping in mind heavier load => less flying time plus the wind at sea to get safely back.
The video thunderbird posted with the clip in plastic tube seems fine.
How about some sort of 3D printed plastic clip, that locks at the landing gear similary to P4 camera holder...
Good morning

You've misunderstood me
What I intend making is a hook type arrangement to take the bait out and drop it then return the drone to shore while I wait for a bite.
There's not enough pelagic fish where I live to troll.
The water is very shallow for a long way out so I want to drop the line 100 - 200 metres out.
The guys in the original clip were on TV here and they used a rubber band to hold the line and then lower the bait by drone in front of the fish.
When the fish took the bait the band broke
They had to experiment to get a band that would break easily enough

Also what I'm planning is as what as Phil said, I don't want to take the risk trolling the drone until a fish bite the bait, who know if it's a big fish it might bring the drone down with the force or something can go wrong

The video I post is a simple solution but still hooked with a clip and applying some force to release it chances for something goes wrong is there

I'm gonna work on something that will release the bait with push of a button

Reactions: Vasekp
I think I might have an idea to do this, I'm going to work on it this weekend, will keep you guys posted as I progress
Keep the fingers crossed have 21 days left to go fishing to Fuerteventura hope to be among the beta testers:)

As touchy as the UAV is in GPS mode, the bait line should be able to drop off of the bird because of how much its P-GPS mode will be fighting the added weight already just to maintain the P3's altitude. We definitely don't want it to have a way to have it attached to tightly and have it be pulled down by a fish because it could overheat the motors and everything inside as it fights to maintain the same altitude.

Wouldn't the easiest way to be to put the hook and bait in a dissolvable PVA bag hanging from a line attached to the landing gear of the drone and then lower it into the water and let it dissolve, dropping the bait and enabling you to fly up without worrying about a mechanical release mechanism? Could make the line as long as you needed to stay a safe distance away from the waves etc

Just use a really light line like 1/2 to 1lb between your fishing line and drone...... When you get the bait where you want it, tug on the fishing rod, which will snap the "breakaway" line, and your bait will fall where you want it....... Keep it simple

Well in fishing (that's what I do)... Fishing and using "site" planes is legal. At least for commercial. In Alaska they fly single prop planes over water all the time to spot fish in the water.

I've often wondered if drones would replace planes someday. It would be much safer that twenty planes trying not to hit each other.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just use a really light line like 1/2 to 1lb between your fishing line and drone...... When you get the bait where you want it, tug on the fishing rod, which will snap the "breakaway" line, and your bait will fall where you want it....... Keep it simple
Worth to test it. I'd still prefer some "sliding" solution as according Murphy's law the breakaway line might show sometimes unbreakable;).

At the moment only thing i have in mind is the camera updown movement you can control w/o opening the bird.

stop with the 1/2# test line already. This shows who here actually fishes. - --- would prove problematic under the pull from the reel, airspeed, and weight of the lure/ bait. not to mention the broken line now flailing around under the bird.

The easiest, safest and lightest solution for delivery and drop is going to be either a printed hook or a wire hook as shown in the video.

As for ''breaking the 'line'" - the rubber band solution is the easiest and best proves solution over time with ACTUAL fishermen for various game we go after. In the instance of these fishermen in the OP - they had to 'test' rubber bands for 1 reason. EACH BAIT, LINE, OR 'RIG' WILL HAVE DIFFERENT WEIGHTS!!! - Same applys for when we go balooning, kite fishing, or double lining (anchor one pole/ line to the bottom and slide your fighting pole/ bait down the line so the fish can swim around) - we use different rubber bands.

Stop with the Rube Goldberg machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of you are over complicating this.

Some quick facts about Depth/ fish finders and being on a boat... Yeah, right, they have had this thing called a wearable fishfinder for many many years. Hummingbird for one. 2009 May 06 Humminbird | RF35

used one and recently on Sharktank, they even had an inventor with a more modern low cost model.

on execution and use of the "hook" method.
inevitably, you will be sliding that back and forth if you do not secure it properly in the hook. simple solution again here would be to use a rubber band or tie a small loop in the line. any fisherman worth his salt would know a couple simple knots to tie that wouldn't compromise the integrity of the line or, more importantly, that would 'slip' out under tension and return the line back to normal. on a braided line, this would be simple. on a mono/ flouro line, well, i wouldn't go that route.

Im not a pro fisherman thats for sure, Fishing is my hobby, Flying drone also is an hobby for me, And honestly Im making this complex for the sake of creativity lol, but then again, Using rubber band is the easiest solution as i post in the video but again every individual has own preference.

I dont mind working an hour or two during the weekend to get something I prefer to be done

So, I just tested it with some light line, I think it was 1lb, it worked perfectly and the drone never moved when I tugged on it to break it.....I would recommend using a short piece, only a few inches long tied to your regular fishing line...... I tested it 12 times with the same result....... Time to go fishing

Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj