Drone Fishing

I wish I could take credit and say this was me, but I will tell you it will be me doing it next. That's for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
VERY cool use of your drone, grats :)

Q: Does the salty coastal air threaten the drone at all or is it totally ok for it to fly in this moist atmosphere?

Interesting. How do you avoid load coming onto P3? Or you are using P3 just to drop the hook to deep waters?
Very clever. You would use a very low break line to attach the quad to the main line. When the fish strikes the light tippet, maybe 1/2 pound breaking strength, snaps releasing the quad. Like a small relay tripping a larger contactor.

Well in my mind nothing as it's just spotting .Using it to fish is another .
Like I said I wasn't trying to start anything but was just saying .
In MS on State Lakes and State Parks it's rod and reel only .On the coast I'm not sure .
And boats and fish finders.

So now we need a specific "Fishing Drone" (quad) attachment or designed bird.

Same concept as Kite Fishing, or ballooning, or tarpon fishing with a second pole.
I'll look more into it. If we can figure out what all the moving parts would be, ill help design the 3D part and let's print some and try it out.

This really is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it. I can definitely see this being a new method to fish. Revolutionary.

From the shore, you have the added benefit of an easier fight (assuming you want one) because of the tide.

So if I'm not mistaken, there is a line that breaks (presumably an extremely low weight line) connected to the bird that is also connected to the rod?

I would imagine there should be a remote release of the line from the bird in case of some unforseen emergency. Wouldn't be hard to engineer really.

How about an application of this as a form of troll fishing on a salmon river?

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
Can you design a bracket that can hold something at the side of the p4.
Yeah, just need to know what dimensions and exactly what would be needed. I only learned of this awesomeness 5 minutes ago.

Believe it or not, I'm just going to sleep but PM me or email [email protected], or I suppose we could leave the discussion here.

Good morning/nite.

Looking forward to fishing like this off the coast of Mantauk this summer. Brill.

Yeah, just need to know what dimensions and exactly what would be needed. I only learned of this awesomeness 5 minutes ago.

Believe it or not, I'm just going to sleep but PM me or email [email protected], or I suppose we could leave the discussion here.

Good morning/nite.

Looking forward to fishing like this off the coast of Mantauk this summer. Brill.

I do not think it's wise to make bracket at the side due to improper balance. Stg in the mid of landing gear would be more stable. And you still need the camera down view..

I do not think it's wise to make bracket at the side due to improper balance. Stg in the mid of landing gear would be more stable. And you still need the camera down view..
I've seen people make tracker holders on the side of the P4 without it throwing off the level.

The bird compensates as it can tell it needs to straighten out. The flight board's job (Just like if it thrown off by wind is to right itself) but I'm not sure of it.

I'm not privy to the reason we want to put a holster on the side. What are we trying to achieve?

~ Adam

Edit: I've watched some of the videos and I think a wiser solution than finding and dropping the line is to get the lightest fishing line that will hold whatever bait and have it so that it's attached to the higher pound line so that the lighter maybe not even fishing line will break as soon as a fish more than a couple pounds will break the "cast line".

That way, if your school that you find doesn't work, you can pull it back up and keep searching. I saw a video where I guy was casting by attaching a hangar and dropping the line by spinning the bird but after that you're done. Picking it back up in the event of no hungry or a fleeing school would make it more optical.

Not too distant future, I see drone sport fishing where you drop a line and then use the bird to pull it out of the ocean. Takes some of the sport of it but once we have 200-300lb pay loads, this is a definite possibility. An emergency release would have to be available.

I would do this off my dads fishing boat but going deep sea fishing off the shore is a fun idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasekp
I've seen people make tracker holders on the side of the P4 without it throwing off the level.

The bird compensates as it can tell it needs to straighten out. The flight board's job (Just like if it thrown off by wind is to right itself) but I'm not sure of it.

I'm not privy to the reason we want to put a holster on the side. What are we trying to achieve?

~ Adam
I know, understand the bird will compensate unequal load. The weight of lead and bite in sea fishing can go to 500g and more, which is not the weight of a tracker. On the other hand will welcome any solution that comes till May 26 (Go fishing to Canary islands hopefully with new P4) ;) Rgds Vasek

Reactions: Jussaguy

~ Adam

Edit: I've watched some of the videos and I think a wiser solution than finding and dropping the line is to get the lightest fishing line that will hold whatever bait and have it so that it's attached to the higher pound line so that the lighter maybe not even fishing line will break as soon as a fish more than a couple pounds will break the "cast line".

That way, if your school that you find doesn't work, you can pull it back up and keep searching. I saw a video where I guy was casting by attaching a hangar and dropping the line by spinning the bird but after that you're done. Picking it back up in the event of no hungry or a fleeing school would make it more optical.

Not too distant future, I see drone sport fishing where you drop a line and then use the bird to pull it out of the ocean. Takes some of the sport of it but once we have 200-300lb pay loads, this is a definite possibility. An emergency release would have to be available.

I would do this off my dads fishing boat but going deep sea fishing off the shore is a fun idea.
I had an idea to use it on sea from fishing boat too. Sometimes you see whirl of sardines on the sea = tuna around and to have chance to "deliver" the bite right there might be interesting.

I'll look more into it. If we can figure out what all the moving parts would be, ill help design the 3D part and let's print some and try it out.

This really is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it. I can definitely see this being a new method to fish. Revolutionary.

From the shore, you have the added benefit of an easier fight (assuming you want one) because of the tide.

So if I'm not mistaken, there is a line that breaks (presumably an extremely low weight line) connected to the bird that is also connected to the rod?

I would imagine there should be a remote release of the line from the bird in case of some unforseen emergency. Wouldn't be hard to engineer really.

How about an application of this as a form of troll fishing on a salmon river?
They actually use a rubber band that breaks when the fish strikes.
I'm after something to take the line out and drop it

Reactions: Vasekp

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj