Drone eclipses

Not unless you have a strong ND filter.

I'm setting up now and test exposures to see the sunspots is giving me ISO 100, 1/8000 sec. f/10 with a 10 stop ND filter on a 300mm lens (Nikon D800E.)! The histogram of the bright sun is just touching the right hand side. I'll probably slow the shutter down as the eclipse approaches.

I had a 3 stop ND on the camera to start and I was seeing spots after focusing through the viewfinder with that filter, so out came the 10 stop ND. I can't image it would do any good on the sensor without stopping it way down with a ND filter.

I'd imagine the sun will be too high to not have the props in the way too with a drone. I don't know the upper limit of the pitch, but I don't think it's as much as one might need.

Good luck!

So many eclipse threads but they all are saying the sun will be too high in the sky for the drone to even see. So!ething like 70+ degrees. I'm taking a late lunch and plan to just enjoy it without worrying about gear. There will be so many pix available anyway.

Reactions: N017RW
ND filters WILL NOT stop UV and IR radiation from reaching the sensor. You should not think ND filters will make any difference.

With that said, I'm not agreeing that filing the sun with the Phantom will cause any harm. There must me _millions_ of photos with the sun in it. Never any mention of any damage. A solar eclipse does not make the sun any brighter. The issue, as I see it, is when a optical zoom is used, which most people will do to make it a photo worth anything.

Edit: Filters need to be in the range of 100,000 stops. An ND filter is not even close. Again, I'm not stating that any filter is needed on the Phantom (mainly that an ND filter won't do anything).

Last edited:
Is it save for you and the drone to watch the eclipses then your drone?

Unless you ae holding the Phantom in your hand, I don't see being able to capture the sun in a photos. The camera won't point up that high. Also, why use a drone for a photos of the sun? Simply use any other land camera instead. That extra 100-1000' (or even 1000 miles) won't make any difference

Reactions: JoBe
Photos from the ground will be just as stunning as aerials in this instance. With the sun so high in the sky you can't get high enough with a UAS to make a difference. Waste of time and risk to your camera sensor.

Unless you ae holding the Phantom in your hand, I don't see being able to capture the sun in a photos. The camera won't point up that high. Also, why use a drone for a photos of the sun? Simply use any other land camera instead. That extra 100-1000' (or even 1000 miles) won't make any difference
Plus just enjoy it with everyone else. Be present. At least for 30 minutes we won't all be thinking about the issues of the world.

I'm setting up now and test exposures to see the sunspots is giving me ISO 100, 1/8000 sec. f/10 with a 10 stop ND filter on a 300mm lens (Nikon D800E.)! The histogram of the bright sun is just touching the right hand side. I'll probably slow the shutter down as the eclipse approaches.

I had a 3 stop ND on the camera to start and I was seeing spots after focusing through the viewfinder with that filter, so out came the 10 stop ND. I can't image it would do any good on the sensor without stopping it way down with a ND filter.

I'd imagine the sun will be too high to not have the props in the way too with a drone. I don't know the upper limit of the pitch, but I don't think it's as much as one might need.

Good luck!

I dont think i can get the angle with my Phantom.

How about my Spark, since the camera is front mounted? Hell, ill give it a rip.

...That extra 100-1000' (or even 1000 miles) won't make any difference

Yeah, that's just what manned aircraft need today. All drone owners hovering their quads above the clouds to get a good shot. LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers