Drone Deploy mapping

Reaction score
Anyone on here have any experience using the drone deploy app? I have a P4 Pro and am about to start my 30 day trial with the Drone Deploy app. Not sure how much I trust the app to auto fly the route.

Anyone on here have any experience using the drone deploy app? I have a P4 Pro and am about to start my 30 day trial with the Drone Deploy app. Not sure how much I trust the app to auto fly the route.
Thousands of people use DD and it works just fine.
Just double check that the survey you plot will be well clear of obstacles.
Set yourself a simple test survey first - just a small area - 1 or 2 acres out in the open where you can see everything and learn how it all works.

Reactions: Nickster
It might be worth mentioning that DJI does not warranty the aircraft for accidents when third party apps were used. At least that is what has been written by others on forums.

It might be worth mentioning that DJI does not warranty the aircraft for accidents when third party apps were used. At least that is what has been written by others on forums.
It might be worth mentioning that this is a myth.
DJI warranty applies if the cause of the incident is due to a DJI problem.
Using a third party app does not affect that.
If the incident results in total loss of the Phantom, it might be difficult (impossible) to prove the cause of the incident.
It is very rare for any app to be the cause of a flight incident and much more likely to be due to operator error.

Reactions: Nickster
You may be exactly correct but it wasn't a myth according to the incident I read about with a guy and the litchi app. I only use the DJI app and have no first hand knowledge beyond that. If it were true it seems that people should know about it ahead of time.

And my new car came with Good Year tires, don't dare put Firestones on it- it will void the warranty!

You may be exactly correct but it wasn't a myth according to the incident I read about with a guy and the litchi app. I only use the DJI app and have no first hand knowledge beyond that. If it were true it seems that people should know about it ahead of time.
Forums are exceptionally good at creating myths and spreading misinformation. Your post is a perfect example of how it happens.
Strangely myths are often more powerful than the truth and can be difficult to stamp out.

If you crash or lose a Phantom and the cause can be proved to be a DJI issue, DJI will cover it.
That doesn't matter what app you are using.

Steven, I used my P4P over the weekend. 26 acre field. As you can see, no issues at all. Like Meta said, do a test flight before to see what obstacles may be in the way and height so you can fly above them. DroneDeploy will turn off the vision system in the P4P. Also, set the camera to manual with the Go App in the settings you want and set camera to manual in the DroneDeploy app. That will help with making sure it is at a constant aperture and shutter. Good luck with it. I use it for all my mapping.

IMG_1501031451.568588.jpg

DroneDeploy generally recommends heights related to what you are mapping and what bird your flying. With the P4P I can fly higher and still get more detail then a P4. The app puts me at 247' AGL. I can set it lower if I think there is a good reason. So, in regards to obstacles; not too many at 247'.
Making Successful Maps

I have no qualms running DroneDeploy missions and every mission run so far has had no hiccups. I suggest you give some thoughts as to what you want to accomplish. In my case, I wanted to be able to offer mapping to my clients. In my thirty days I mapped a construction area, a wastewater treatment facility, the local park and the new Mormon Temple built in town. I have crops on my list but have not setup the mission yet. I just found a cooperative friend who has invited me to map his tree farm. 81 acres at 247' will take 35 minutes (3 batteries). Should prove interesting and hopefully my friend will become a client when the results are in.

I have used Drone Deploy trial version and Pix4D softwares to make some photogrammetry flights, but since the existence of DJI GS Pro (Ground Station), this is the App I use to make the flights. It is not as complete as Litchi, but it gives you control on almost all parameters to be used during a photogrammetry or 3D model flight, AND is DJI, thus avoiding the hypothetical problems of using third party software. Also, you can view in a part of the screen the actual Phantom camera. I use to program one photo every 2 or three seconds, and Pix4D results of the photos obtained with DJI GS are totally satisfactory, much better than the Mikrocopter software, or others, we used before

It is strange DD does not have drone selection when you plan a flight. I was told that developers use P4 features. P4P camera has a narrow field of view than P4 so you need more images to get the same overlaps.
This is a mystery.
I prefer use Map Pilot, it allows you to load .kml polygons too

We have used drone deploy many times for different mapping applications. We have also used dji gspro. They both work great and are quite efficient. The big thing that really bugged me about gspro was the drone would go up and fly to its starting point and then turn sideways and fly the mission sideways. Normally not a problem but we work in an area that isn't level and has huge trees so it's hard to get the height just right. flying sideways means obstacle avoidance won't pick anything up.

Mappilot is also a good flight planning software for mapping. Sites can be irregular shapes an you can also import a kmz as the perimiter where background imagery is outdated.

Forums are exceptionally good at creating myths and spreading misinformation. Your post is a perfect example of how it happens.
Strangely myths are often more powerful than the truth and can be difficult to stamp out.

If you crash or lose a Phantom and the cause can be proved to be a DJI issue, DJI will cover it.
That doesn't matter what app you are using.
STRANGE! I wonder why DJI did not cover my crash? I mean, when a Phantom 4 inverts at 200 feet and flies into the ground upside down, and there is NO WAY that can be done unless there is some fault with the hardware or software, then why would DJI not cover it? AND, why would they NOT EVEN EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED??? Instead, they shipped me new drone to shut me up. Never to explain the above! BUT, after their "test flight" prior to shipping, they forgot to replace the four spring retainer rings that locks the props on. Interesting.
Jim
WA5TEF

DroneDeploy generally recommends heights related to what you are mapping and what bird your flying. With the P4P I can fly higher and still get more detail then a P4. The app puts me at 247' AGL. I can set it lower if I think there is a good reason. So, in regards to obstacles; not too many at 247'.
Making Successful Maps

I have no qualms running DroneDeploy missions and every mission run so far has had no hiccups. I suggest you give some thoughts as to what you want to accomplish. In my case, I wanted to be able to offer mapping to my clients. In my thirty days I mapped a construction area, a wastewater treatment facility, the local park and the new Mormon Temple built in town. I have crops on my list but have not setup the mission yet. I just found a cooperative friend who has invited me to map his tree farm. 81 acres at 247' will take 35 minutes (3 batteries). Should prove interesting and hopefully my friend will become a client when the results are in.

Like FlashBuddy I have no qualms with DD until 3-4 weeks ago. That is when flying a DD mission in DJI GO manual camera setting the photos came out dark. Before the flight I took 3 photos in DJI manual to make sure of the settings and the photos were good. Last week I did 3 missions of the same property in DD automatic, DJI automatic and DJI manual. The manual flight came back with dark photos and the other two were just fine. I've contacted DD and have been in a long email chain with no results as to the problem. I'm flying a DJI Phantom 4 and any suggestions will be appreciated.

Drone Deploy is programmed not to work if the flight includes a restricted zone.

I got DD a couple of months ago and started to plan a test flight of my own property, about an acre, partly wooded. I am within 5 mi. of a tiny public airport with about 5-6 small plane flights per day, and no control tower (of course). The airport manager has Tuesdays and Wednesdays off, and there is no one there to even answer radio calls from pilots. DD refused to even plan the mission because it is in a restricted zone. My property, the nearest town and the second and third nearest towns are all within 5 mi. of the airport, which rules out using DD for me unless they will allow restricted zone override, which they didn't when last I checked. I've never been able to even test it.

Start with a small site, make certain camera is not on 4k mode. Hdmi reg works fine. Keep speed less than 20 mph. Takes some time to send up 80 picts Or more pictures. Results are good. Verify and stay above obsticles
Regards john

STRANGE! I wonder why DJI did not cover my crash? I mean, when a Phantom 4 inverts at 200 feet and flies into the ground upside down, and there is NO WAY that can be done unless there is some fault with the hardware or software, then why would DJI not cover it? AND, why would they NOT EVEN EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED??? Instead, they shipped me new drone to shut me up. Never to explain the above! BUT, after their "test flight" prior to shipping, they forgot to replace the four spring retainer rings that locks the props on.
You've lost me there.
Why did DJI not cover your crash? why would DJI not cover it?
Instead, they shipped me new drone to shut me up
If they replaced your Phantom, it sounds like they did cover your crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen