Drone crash gets top headline for newspapers

Reaction score

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-14_18-58-32.png
    upload_2017-7-14_18-58-32.png
    92 KB · Views: 405
Hehe... it was beat out only by the article of two killed in a plane crash. But it did come out ahead of the article of Baby Boomers being more likely to have extramarital affairs than Millenials!

A small drone crashes into the high steeple of a church temple
and immediately creates incredible news coverage of the dangers of drones in the community.

Drone crashes into LDS temple in Draper; raises questions of airspace rules | KSL.com

The question is - Which received all the damage, the steeple or the drone.. Quite obvious.

As the writer of this article, I would disagree that it created incredible news coverage of the dangers of drones in the community.

Nowhere does it say drones are dangerous. Rather, the article focused on the tricky area of airspace vs private property and regulation by other entities other than the FAA. The LDS Church wants drone pilots to not fly over their properties, but can they really regulate that? As we all know, according to the FAA, the answer is no. That is what the article is about.

Was there any damage to the temple? Of course not. Will it cost a lot of money to get it down? Probably, because they will either have to do scaffolding or get a crane, as there is no access to that part of the temple.

Reactions: anotherlab
As the writer of this article, I would disagree that it created incredible news coverage of the dangers of drones in the community.

Nowhere does it say drones are dangerous. Rather, the article focused on the tricky area of airspace vs private property and regulation by other entities other than the FAA. The LDS Church wants drone pilots to not fly over their properties, but can they really regulate that? As we all know, according to the FAA, the answer is no. That is what the article is about.

Was there any damage to the temple? Of course not. Will it cost a lot of money to get it down? Probably, because they will either have to do scaffolding or get a crane, as there is no access to that part of the temple.

Devon Dewey,

First, thank you for coming here, creating a profile and sharing your thougths while writing your article.

For what its worth, many DUGs (Drone User Groups) are passionately working on promoting safe operation of drones and using drones for good.

If you were near me, I'd get a group togehter, request permission from the church then remove the drone...with a drone. As silly as this may sound at first, this has been successfully accomplished many times. A search on YouTube for topics such as "drone rescues drone" will provide examples.

Devon, would you like this group to see if we can find a volunteer in your area to remove this drone with a drone?

... more...

The drone operator that took the photo in the article is Drew Armstrong. He was asked to get that photo by the church.

There is no question as to whos drone it is. The person did come forward right away. The only issue is how will they get the drone down without damage to the church.

The drone operator / photographer Drew Armstrong did not want to use a hook suspended from his DJI M600 out of fear of getting the hook around other items like a pipe then getting his drone stuck.

I did not read if a climber was considered. A 5.11 climber may be able to use the chimney wall on either side of the window to get to the top.

Another option, use a tiny whoop drone to get a line connected to the drone. Let the tiny whoop free fall in front of the window. After getting control of the line, splice and attach the line to a line secured to a more robust drone like a M600.

Even if the spliced line was 200 feet long, that would not matter. Just go that much higher with the M600. The M600's only purpose becomes heavy lifting.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
... more...

The drone operator that took the photo in the article is Drew Armstrong. He was asked to get that photo by the church.

There is no question as to whos drone it is. The person did come forward right away. The only issue is how will they get the drone down without damage to the church.

The drone operator / photographer Drew Armstrong did not want to use a hook suspended from his DJI M600 out of fear of getting the hook around other items like a pipe then getting his drone stuck.

I did not read if a climber was considered. A 5.11 climber may be able to use the chimney wall on either side of the window to get to the top.

Another option, use a tiny whoop drone to get a line connected to the drone. Let the tiny whoop free fall in front of the window. After getting control of the line, splice and attach the line to a line secured to a more robust drone like a M600.

Even if the spliced line was 200 feet long, that would not matter. Just go that much higher with the M600. The M600's only purpose becomes heavy lifting.

Thoughts?

I love the idea of using a drone to remove the stuck drone. I believe it is completely possible, just a bit risky because of the position of the stuck drone. It is right next to the highest point of the steeple.

If it was a flat roof, it'd be a piece of cake, but because of the tall steeple and other obstacles that could cause a line to get snagged, I can relate with Drew's hesitation of using a drone to retrieve the struck drone. Definitely doable... just a bit trickier than your average drone retrieval mission.

Last time I spoke with Church officials, they were considering either a crane or scaffolding to get it down.

Reactions: DougAles

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan