Dreaded lost drone post **FOUND**

That was one very confused drone.
You better hope that the wiring for the aircraft motor wasn't damaged, otherwise that will turn into a very costly repair. As it is, you will need the shell, the yaw arm, the flex cable, and probably a yaw motor (if the ribbon cable was damaged). You will also need to get quality tools for the screws, as they like to strip. See my thread on how to replace the yaw arm.

Reactions: Wahoo_Ace
That was one very confused drone.
You better hope that the wiring for the aircraft motor wasn't damaged, otherwise that will turn into a very costly repair. As it is, you will need the shell, the yaw arm, the flex cable, and probably a yaw motor (if the ribbon cable was damaged). You will also need to get quality tools for the screws, as they like to strip. See my thread on how to replace the yaw arm.

So you think this needs a new motor? Also, all of the wires seem to be intact.
fe315bbcb08c85fe3575d4c77dafe03c.jpg
08e312720432384289bd6622b5368aaa.jpg

So you think this needs a new motor? Also, all of the wires seem to be intact.
fe315bbcb08c85fe3575d4c77dafe03c.jpg
08e312720432384289bd6622b5368aaa.jpg

I believe you can test the motors by powering the drone on and seeing if you get a motor or esc error when you do the manual takeoff initiation. Do it with no props.

As far as the yaw motor, I can see that it has a torn cable, so that Definitely requires replacement. The yaw arm, yaw motor, and screw kit can be purchased on Amazon. You can try to extract the motor screws, but it’s not a guarantee that they will come out in good shape, which is what the screw set is for.

I believe you can test the motors by powering the drone on and seeing if you get a motor or esc error when you do the manual takeoff initiation. Do it with no props.

As far as the yaw motor, I can see that it has a torn cable, so that Definitely requires replacement. The yaw arm, yaw motor, and screw kit can be purchased on Amazon. You can try to extract the motor screws, but it’s not a guarantee that they will come out in good shape, which is what the screw set is for.

I have found yaw motor cables...can I not just replace the cable?

Got it! Do you have a reliable source or would any one I find on Amazon work?

The link you posted is good for the yaw arm and the gimbal flex cable.
I bought my yaw motor from amazon, but there is no guarantee that it’s new. I have not found a reliable American source for the yaw motor. Yaw Motor Disassemble parts Gimbal Camera Part for DJI Phantom 4/Pro Drone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07728MQSF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_j0WHAbXZ1ASRV

There is also a seller on eBay who has them for $33.99, but they're most likely pulled off of an assembled drone.

Can you please write a one paragraph summary of how this happened? Apparently the sensors were on as it backed off a couple of times. From your previous comments it appears you were on a Waypoints mission, so is it that the height was not sufficient? If you ran that mission the first time to record it and it was "remembered" to repeat, why didn't it keep the correct altitude from the first mission? Doesn't Waypoints also "remember" the same altitude?

This is one of the most informative, interesting posts I've read WITHOUT all the "you stupid idiot" postings which seem so common. I'm glad you found it and have some knowledge of what happened. I've lost two inexpensive drones and have no idea where they went or what happened.

This is one of the most informative, interesting posts I've read WITHOUT all the "you stupid idiot" postings which seem so common. I'm glad you found it and have some knowledge of what happened. I've lost two inexpensive drones and have no idea where they went or what happened.

This is not atypical of these types of threads. The additional criticism you mention, whether polite or not, mostly arises when the flight in question was blatantly in violation of safe practices - that does tend to annoy people. This flight, while certainly beyond VLOS (and thus in breach of the new AMA Safety Handbook rules - it will be interesting to see how that plays out), was very low altitude in a rural environment, and obviously presented very little risk to the NAS.

Can you please write a one paragraph summary of how this happened? Apparently the sensors were on as it backed off a couple of times. From your previous comments it appears you were on a Waypoints mission, so is it that the height was not sufficient? If you ran that mission the first time to record it and it was "remembered" to repeat, why didn't it keep the correct altitude from the first mission? Doesn't Waypoints also "remember" the same altitude?
Gladly. I have driven by this creek many times and one thing I have always wanted to do is fly a mission along a river/creek. While admittedly beyond VLOS, I was wanting to test out the Litchi Waypoints when signal is lost. My original flight along this path had all of my waypoints at 75 feet along the creek. I pushed the limit and lowered them to 65 and 55 along the path for this flight. My original flight had the last waypoint along the creek set to 150 feet so it would rise up and signal would be gained again and thus allow me to manually fly back. I set the path on Mission Hub. I had a major brain fart in not setting that final waypoint higher so as it came back, I would clear the trees. In my region, trees are around 50-60 feet and thus I was JUST underneath that as you can see. I will use Litchi Waypoints again in the future with MUCH greater caution/awareness. Sometimes the best way to learn something is to screw it up! Never again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl