dptcalvin's P2 build

dptcalvin said:
For those interested, this is where I bought the Shapeways landing gear extensions:

Left: https://www.shapeways.com/product/HQXQK ... d=55539196
Right: https://www.shapeways.com/product/RQD29 ... d=55539198
vTx holder***: https://www.shapeways.com/product/4TYPU ... d=55539197

***the vTx holder is ONLY for the ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter; other transmitters MAY fit, but it's a SNUG fit for the IRC 600 already. I also had to remove the plastic shrink wrap around the transmitter for it to fit (even though IRC does not recommend removing it)

quick question i just placed more order for all of the above i really like your setup, thank you for sharing... Did the screws for the leg spacers come with shape ways? if not where did you get the screws and what size?

thanks!! :!: :mrgreen:

M3 20mm

Put on a new decal today. Forgot to take part of the old decal off (oops).

YQGeCPP.jpg

And I used Plastidip on my old RC. Thinking about doing it to the new one.

2HsyclW.jpg

What was the process like plasti-dipping the tx? I wouldn't use it on the quad but love the look on the transmitter

Reoscorpio said:
What was the process like plasti-dipping the tx? I wouldn't use it on the quad but love the look on the transmitter
It's just like spray paint. I used 3 or 4 light, even coats. About 30 minutes between coats. Best part is you can peel it off if you don't like it.

One tip: mask off what you don't want done with blue painter's tape. When everything is dry and you're ready to remove the tape, use a sharp razor or knife and cut around the tape. Otherwise, when you remove the tape the Plastidip will lift and peel off with it.

I didn't do the antenna. Not sure what effect, if any, it would have on communicating with the bird.

Plastidip would be good for the added grip. For sure not good on the phantom, way too heavy.

My FPVLR antennas came with plastidip on them so the TX antenna would be ok with it i'm guessing.

Replaced my Rave Aerial monitor mount with this one from Shapeways today. I like it for three reasons:

1) it's smaller
2) faster to attach/detach with the GoPro style mount
3) adjustable for optimal viewing angle

WpVSpRo.jpg

Can you link to that monitor mount sir?
Also, do you use a sun shade at all? I live in Tx and it is a must.
I am "considering" trading in my P2V+ for a P2 with GoPro. Only "considering" at this point due to DJI apparent lack of QC and customer service on some issues I am seeing here on this forum.

Great looking build by the way. I am looking at using your build for a template for mine. Although I am going to go this route instead of decals. http://www.savemyphantom.com/black-carb ... m-2-shell/

LostAngel said:
Can you link to that monitor mount sir?
Also, do you use a sun shade at all? I live in Tx and it is a must.
I am "considering" trading in my P2V+ for a P2 with GoPro. Only "considering" at this point due to DJI apparent lack of QC and customer service on some issues I am seeing here on this forum.

Great looking build by the way. I am looking at using your build for a template for mine. Although I am going to go this route instead of decals. http://www.savemyphantom.com/black-carb ... m-2-shell/
Sorry for the late reply. Here it is: https://www.shapeways.com/product/GM5TU ... d=24266613

RAhUz9p.jpg

nice.. boy you love to change it up... how many sets of props you have.. lol

im a fan of pinup girls .. like this one.

edit.. Just got my shape ways in today 3 weeks!! :shock:

off to hardware store to buy m3 20mm x8 :) for the install of leg extensions and transmitter tray.

You have put a lot of work into your Phantom 2. I appreciate you posting it on the site. Your images have allowed me to choose what kind of Landing Gear extenders I will be using on mine. I have the newer Phantom 2, DJI IOSD, H3-3D gimbal, GoPro 3+ Black edition, ImmersionRC 600 transmitter, the same receiver mount as yours and a Black Pearl 7 channel receiver. Oh, by the way, this is my first post here.
Question: When the props are spinning does the dye color show well at a distance?

oakspi said:
You have put a lot of work into your Phantom 2. I appreciate you posting it on the site. Your images have allowed me to choose what kind of Landing Gear extenders I will be using on mine. I have the newer Phantom 2, DJI IOSD, H3-3D gimbal, GoPro 3+ Black edition, ImmersionRC 600 transmitter, the same receiver mount as yours and a Black Pearl 7 channel receiver. Oh, by the way, this is my first post here.
Question: When the props are spinning does the dye color show well at a distance?
Sounds like we have the exact same setup. :)

I find the darker colors are helpful in determining orientation at distance, but you can't necessarily tell what color they are. My eyes can easily distinguish the blue from the red, so I know which way is front and which way is back without touching the sticks.

Are you going with the same landing gear extensions with built-in IRC 600 housing? So far, I am absolutely loving this setup. It makes for a very clean install and gives the H3-3D just enough room so it doesn't knock on the ground upon initialization when turning the P2 on. And I can still fit the P2 with extended landing gear snuggly in both my Aerial Media Pros hard case and GoProfessional Cases backpack. I was worried that the extensions would make the hard case and travel backpack useless, but I'm happy to report that is not the case.

Just ordered the landing gear extensions and IRC housing. Hopefully better than the sticky pads I'm currently using as when it heats up they lose their stick and it ends up hanging off..
Now to find some new screws!

simonwicks said:
Just ordered the landing gear extensions and IRC housing. Hopefully better than the sticky pads I'm currently using as when it heats up they lose their stick and it ends up hanging off..
Now to find some new screws!
Mine is holding up strong so far. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a snug fit all around. You'll need to remove the plastic shrink wrap to fit the IRC 600 in the holder.

If you'll notice, the vTx housing has two narrow channels.

625x465_3073456_8974466_1423521330.jpg

And they fit into here:

625x465_3073454_9275503_1425237772.jpg

It was so snug initially that I could not even fit the vTx housing onto the landing extension. What I did was just rinse it the pieces under some water as mine were a bit "dusty." And that did the trick for me. I was able to slide the vTx housing on for a secure, snug fit. No worries of it coming loose.

I would, however, advise not sliding the vTx housing in and out repeatedly as I think this may loosen the fit over time.

There appears to be two holes in the back where you can use a very small screw to help secure the vTx housing to the landing extension further. I have yet to do this, though.

just wanted to update thread...

got the shape ways products in and installed and boy oh boy talk about exact fit for the vtx !!! such a cool service to be able to buy 3d printed items... the install looks factory... also, regarding the vtx and the screw holes on the back i used a simple white zip tie between the phantom shell and the back of the vtx enclosure and looped around and secured... works mint....

i also bought some m3 20mm and 18mm screws. be sure to source 8! i also re applied blue loctite to leg screw threads to be sure... Great find DPT thank you!

capodrone81 said:
just wanted to update thread...

got the shape ways products in and installed and boy oh boy talk about exact fit for the vtx !!! such a cool service to be able to buy 3d printed items... the install looks factory... also, regarding the vtx and the screw holes on the back i used a simple white zip tie between the phantom shell and the back of the vtx enclosure and looped around and secured... works mint....

i also bought some m3 20mm and 18mm screws. be sure to source 8! i also re applied blue loctite to leg screw threads to be sure... Great find DPT thank you!
Awesome! Glad you're enjoying them as much as I am. Would you mind posting a picture of how you used the zip tie?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20