Don't bring drone to Belize !

Reaction score
Recently traveled to Belize for 10 days and brought my P3 advanced, bad mistake ! Tried doing my research ahead of time but didn't find the right info til it was too late.

Customs at Philip Goldson International Airport seized my P3 the moment I landed and gave me a little slip of paper with the p3's serial number on it and told me to not lose that paper! Belize has a temporary ban on all non-residents bringing drones into their country. I called their civil aviation offices and they said they are in the process of re-writing their laws to mimic the FAA's laws before they lift the ban.

So customs brought me into a little closet with about 10 other seized drones in it and said it can sit here til you leave the country. Story not over...

So 10 days later I head back to Philip Goldson Airport to fly home and go to customs to get my p3 back. Customs told me to go through security first then come back to them to get my drone. Uhh ok...

I went through security, but... after security there wasn't a way back through the airport to customs again unless you go back through security. Getting nervous at this point ! Suddenly my name is being called over the airports loud speaker.

I run to the gate the loud speaker said to go to and there's a Belizean airport security holding my drone. He walked me back through security and we checked the drone at baggage.

Long story short don't take your drone to Belize until they lift their ban.

Good to know. Makes you stop and think that there would be an opportunity for various tourism marketing segments to promote drone friendly countries / areas to visit.

Reactions: OOO
Wow the Belize customs are so friendly.

Reactions: OOO
Good to know. Makes you stop and think that there would be an opportunity for various tourism marketing segments to promote drone friendly countries / areas to visit.

That would be a great idea . They are just really nervous about privacy and interface with low flying aircrafts

I have been to Belize many times over the last 2 years. Very friendly people. It takes time for security to catch up. Look at our 333 lic. We are 30 years behind on some things.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have been to Belize many times over the last 2 years. Very friendly people. It takes time for security to catch up. Look at our 333 lic. We are 30 years behind on some things.

You are right about them being friendly people ted4797. Everyone is way nicer there compared to here. But... no non-resident owned drones til they lift their ban. Don't get urs seized by customs like I did

I have been to Belize many times over the last 2 years. Very friendly people. It takes time for security to catch up....

Yes they are a friendly people and Belize has some AMAZING scenery.

In time the knee-jerk reactions will be reduced and more rational heads will prevail.

Yes they are a friendly people and Belize has some AMAZING scenery.

In time the knee-jerk reactions will be reduced and more rational heads will prevail.

Your very right sir. Amazing scenery all over which is why I originally wanted the P3 for an aerial view of it all . But maybe next time once their ban is lifted

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31