Doing searches

Reaction score
I know people get annoyed seeing new threads started asking questions that have been covered hundreds of times before and many times they are greeted with rude responces saying they need to do a search before starting a new thread. I agree, it's annoying at times. But think of this. Sometimes searches do not bring up good info. It may be the way the search was done. I was trying to respond to a post from a couple of days ago and I can't find it now. Anyway. Sometimes you may do a search only to find it was from months ago or even over a year. Things change in that much time and an answer that was good then may not be good now. Software changes....new upgrades available. ..etc. Why not ask a new question to get the latest information.? If it bothers you so much to see the same question asked again. ...ignore it and move on. I see here that many would rather answer and continue to add their thoughts to non technical issues and fight over stupid crap. Just look at the unanswered posts with people needing help and no answers and compare that to the amount of posts on a thread like....birds don't like my drone...or..can I buy DJI care after I crash my drone ....or ...how many non DJI props can I use on my Phantom. ..blah, blah, blah. It just goes on and on. Now this is to be expected on any forum. It seems most would rather argue than help. Then there is the issue of useless responces that add nothing to the value of the thread. Is this just to boost post count? Who cares about that. I joined this forum when I got my first Phantom in April of 2014. There are some that joined a year or more later with four or more times the posts that I have. Some of them have really contributed great information and are worth every post. Some have posted many times with one liners...dumb pics , and other crap that has no real connection or help to the original question. Can we please just stop this? It makes it hard to have to wade through this useless dribble to get help.

Yes? ;-)

RedHotPoker

So pointing out to someone that many answers already exist is not a good thing? If you don't like those replies why not simple skip over them and not comment about them at all?

You are allowed to create a thread with your opinion as to what people should do but you don't think other people should be allowed to give their opinion.

When I mention to people that they can use the search button to find their answer it's because I'm pointing out to them that there is some really good information on their topic that is easy to find (because it's been asked a few hundred times). They can turn choose to ignore my reply or use the search option. It's up to them. But my reply is on topic and helpful.

Yes ? what? .
Yes, please Make new threads, post your thoughts, comments, questions, or not. It's up to you to respond, participate, ignore certain threads. Heck Ignore some members too, or what ever areas of the forum which don't interest you.
Topics do get refreshed, particularly after every new firmware update. Same old same questions.
When you start a new thread, after you create the title, scroll the page down, for a short list of similar threads or topics that have already posted.

Enjoy the forum, Yes!!

RedHotPoker

Reactions: cfd701
So pointing out to someone that many answers already exist is not a good thing? If you don't like those replies why not simple skip over them and not comment about them at all?

You are allowed to create a thread with your opinion as to what people should do but you don't think other people should be allowed to give their opinion.

When I mention to people that they can use the search button to find their answer it's because I'm pointing out to them that there is some really good information on their topic that is easy to find (because it's been asked a few hundred times). They can turn choose to ignore my reply or use the search option. It's up to them. But my reply is on topic and helpful.
I'll assume your post was directed to me. I never said pointing out that the questions have been answered before is a bad thing. Searching can be a good thing but it doesn't always bring up the best results. My main point was the rude way some will answer and just say do a search. That doesn't help. Providing a link to older posts can help. There will always be new members and new questions. Some do not want to read through 100 posts to get one simple answer. I can understand that. If we spent as much time helping people as we do on simply telling them to do a search, or Google is your friend, or read the manual...the threads would be shorter and more on point. It would also help if the op would title the thread that makes sense and actually ask a question that has enough info to give a good answer to without having to drag it out of them.

I know it may seem certain responses to redundant threads are rude, but to the majority of the membership, it's often true that the thread topic itself is viewed as rude because the question has already been asked and answered a dozen times recently.

There's nothing wrong with asking a question that might have already been answered. The problem is asking a question without even trying to search for the answer. The reason it's a problem is because you may be asking a question that's been answered a dozen times, and this leads to the site as a whole being filled with redundant threads and posts, some of which are better than others. Later someone may search with the same question and find a thread with an incomplete answer where the complete answer is in another thread.

If you have a question and search and can't find the answer in a reasonable amount of time, then it makes sense to ask the question. Usually, you would want to ask the question within one of the threads that already exist, if that's appropriate, provided the question fits the topic. Otherwise, by all means, start a new thread - and you might even qualify your question/thread by explaining that you have already searched and couldn't find your answer.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik