DOH - FC40 Crash in Manual Mode

Reaction score
just crashed my FC40 while flying around the neighborhood after a moment of confusion...

The Phantom was just out of FPV range and behind a row of trees so I shot it up high where I could see it, then intended to flick it into Home Lock mode but instead of dropping S2 all the way down, I hit S1 all the way down and into Manual mode. The Phantom dropped like a rock shortly thereafter and didn't recover even tho I put her back into GPS mode within about 2-3 seconds.

Thank goodness it didn't crash into a person, house, car, etc... I drove to the edge of the thick woods and could hear the motors and see the LEDs a ways back. It had fallen all they way to the ground, which is good, I guess. The FC40 camera and anti-vibration mounts were scattered on the ground, as was my battery voltage indicator. A dirty bird with a slightly broken prop guard, a few bent props, and one prop with chunks ripped out of it was all that seems to be wrong.

I've checked all motors, compass, and taken her for a short flight and all seems well.

It's not my first crash, but definitely my most serious and I think I'll reprogram S1 for Fail Safe vs. Manual mode now to avoid this mistake again...

I am impressed with the amount of abuse the Phantom can take and still keep on working.

(no rants please about her being out of my line of sight - if you say you've never been there, I have a hard time believing it...)

I've banged mine up about 6 times so far out of around 100 flights or more. These things really are tough, actually my worse crash was from going from gps to atti and then when I tried to switch back, I flipped it to manual mode instead an took a dive right into my grandmother's metal roof. All it did was throw the battery out, the camera popped off, and only one of my props got bent up pretty bad.

I sympathise - your mistake is one than anyone could make in the heat of the moment. Yet another reason I avoid having manual mode programmed on the switch! Happy to hear that not too much damage was done.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj