does the vision camera HAVE TO be used with the extender?

Reaction score
wondering if the range extender has to be used to connect to the P2V's camera or can you connect with out the extender even if the range is limited????

Re: does the vision camera HAVE TO be used with the extender

J.James said:
wondering if the range extender has to be used to connect to the P2V's camera or can you connect with out the extender even if the range is limited????

Technically yes, and yes the range will be limited. to put it simple, your camera connects to your extender, but its signal is not visible to a wifi scan. so you have to find the ssid of the camera by looking it up in the extender menu and adding it manualy with out encryption

"Limited" would be an understatement. The range would be nearly non-existent. The camera just doesn't have the power to broadcast any reasonable distance.
Is your extender broken? Or do you have a specific use case where you don't want to use it?

Is your extender broken? Or do you have a specific use case where you don't want to use it?

Yes. I am trying to diagnose a camera on a phantom vision that I just got as a cheap fixer upper that had every thing but the extender with it. and just trying to connect to the camera from about a foot away just the see if the camera even works or not. But the app cant find it. So i was wondering if it had to have the extender to even be able to see it at all.

also wondering if there is any way to use a wifi repeater to work as an extender even if just temporary for now to be able to see if the cameras wifi works at all. Cause if so I have one just sitting here thats not being used for any thing that I originally got to try and extend the range on my fc40s camera but actually have sense found a much better way to get more range then the wifi repeater can even dream of getting.

So... like macuser said... technically you can link to the camera directly. But the camera does not broadcast on the Phantom_xxxx SID. It's WiFi net is a hidden ID... that normally you would find by first logging into the extender and browsing through the admin. How to discover the SID otherwise, I don't know. That would be your first problem. There might be more hacker-ish WiFi scanner apps available for an Android phone or your laptop that might be able to sniff out the hidden net. I don't know.

The DJI "extender" basically is a repeater of sorts... so you're rooting around the right tree in thinking to use a temporary one. But, again, the problem will be in the set-up. You'd still need to know the camera's WiFi SID to be able to connect to it even with your repeater. And then you'd need a fairly good repeater admin to be able to set up the subnet, LAN and WLAN correctly to get it all to work.

It'd likely be much easier to find a local DJI retail shop or distributor and testing with one of their extenders temporarily. Then, as an added bonus, if everything works, all you have to do is buy the extender right there and you're back in business.

well even if I have to search to find out how its done with a repeater or even just can see the hidden stuff I don't even have to go as far as setting it up if it even can see it then I at least know its worth the bother to get a range extender and also can know if the camera is even worth bothering with any further. i so then I'll look for getting an extender. Tho I wish there was a dealer near by me that I could go to but none of the shops around here can even get parts for them or now much about any of the DJIs and all tend to sell the lower end toy type stuff.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl