Does the P4P suffer from GOP flickering??

Reaction score
I have the mavic pro and it's really disappoint to find that it has a really bad flickering issue. Basically every 8 frames it has details the other 7 frames does not. Which causes the video to look like there are little dots dancing around all the time.

See my test video here.
I called it noise but since the test video was taken, I have educated myself on this issue and it's related to the compression and not really noise level (the test video is shot at ISO 100).

So the question is, is the P4P better in this regard? If so, I might just sell the mavic and upgrade.

Last edited:
I have the mavic pro and it's really disappoint to find that it has a really bad flickering issue. Basically every 8 frames it has details the other 7 frames does not. Which causes the video to look like there are little dots dancing around all the time.

See my test video here show noise. I called it noise but since the test video was taken, I have educated myself on this issue and it's related to the compression and not really noise level (the test video is shot at ISO 100).

So the question is, is the P4P better in this regard? If so, I might just sell the mavic and upgrade.
P4p has compression artifacts, but 100 Mbit and a much larger sensor gives a overall vastly improved image as compared to for instance the current Mavic. I am personally hoping the next gen Mavic will be close due to the portability.

At 60 fps 4k h264, the P4p image is notacibly softer then at 30 fps h265 but still way ahead of the others in this price bracket.

If you have a look at some older threads here, you will find numerous discussions on both artifacts (pulsing and banding), quality, and lots of examples of what can be achieved with the p4p (I have posted a few samples myself).

Sorry I know it has much better quality, but I mean specifically about the inter frames flickering. Is it still there? Where can I get some raw footage of P4P? Because uploaded videos don't show the true performance after further transcoding.

Sorry I know it has much better quality, but I mean specifically about the inter frames flickering. Is it still there? Where can I get some raw footage of P4P? Because uploaded videos don't show the true performance after further transcoding.
Samples have been posted here earlier just search for pulsing and also banding. In short: Problems typically show up in these scenarios: large amounts of high-frequency detail in combination with motion. Considerable contrast adjustments during post (for instance correcting dlog footage). In combination, much more so. For "normal' footage captured with correct exposure, problems are mostly minuscule.

Samples have been posted here earlier just search for pulsing and also banding. In short: Problems typically show up in these scenarios: large amounts of high-frequency detail in combination with motion. Considerable contrast adjustments during post (for instance correcting dlog footage). In combination, much more so. For "normal' footage captured with correct exposure, problems are mostly minuscule.

I've searched, but I can't links to download source footage. Thanks.

Can you please send me dropbox link? Thank you so much btw
I am uploading a 1:16 clip to Dropbox and it will be a few hours before it is completed as I am on a fairly slow internet connection. You might also want to check out my web site it has videos and pictures taken with the P4P+ for jobs we have done. The only editing done on them was to select a portion of each clip to put in the final video and add music, no coloring or lighting was changed on any of the videos or pictures, they are straight off the SD card and edited for length in Cyberlink 15.

Flybystudios8.com

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl