Does my footage from my P3A look soft?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I took my P3A out for it's maiden flight the other day and captured a few clips with it. When I got back home to look at some of the footage, it looks a little soft to me. I'm pretty sure I had all of the settings right when flying, and if I'm right, I believe the camera focuses to infinity when doing video, so I can't imagine it being a focus issue. Maybe this is just the overall quality of the cam? Anyways, if anybody has a second, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Thank you!

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
Same here, looks good. Don't expect DSLR quality, but it's pretty close.

Hey guys. I took my P3A out for it's maiden flight the other day and captured a few clips with it. When I got back home to look at some of the footage, it looks a little soft to me. I'm pretty sure I had all of the settings right when flying, and if I'm right, I believe the camera focuses to infinity when doing video, so I can't imagine it being a focus issue. Maybe this is just the overall quality of the cam? Anyways, if anybody has a second, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Thank you!

Looks good considering the low light conditions. Your horizon looks a bit tilted.

I was going to ask about that. I know it's a common problem with some of the P3 birds. What's the best way to correct that? Gimbal calibration? Or an IMU calibration?

I was going to ask about that. I know it's a common problem with some of the P3 birds. What's the best way to correct that? Gimbal calibration? Or an IMU calibration?
Try a chiiled IMU cal on a level surface, then an immediate gimbal cal. Make minor adjustments with a gimbal roll adjustment.

Chiiled? What is that exactly?
Cool down your P3 outside or in a refrigerator for 10 minutes so that after the IMU you have a faster warm up time. It sounds stupid but it works. Look it up!

Cool down your P3 outside or in a refrigerator for 10 minutes so that after the IMU you have a faster warm up time. It sounds stupid but it works. Look it up!

GET OUT! 10 minutes in the fridge? Jeez. I don't know how I feel sticking my $800 drone in the refrigerator, but if it works, hey....who am I to judge?

GET OUT! 10 minutes in the fridge? Jeez. I don't know how I feel sticking my $800 drone in the refrigerator, but if it works, hey....who am I to judge?
Here's a video. Pay close attention to being ready to go as fast as you can because when you turn on your P3 it warms up fast and you want to be able to begin the IMU calibration as soon as it becomes available. As for the fridge - many people do it that way but of course it's not an "official" method. Research it and decide for yourself. Cheers!

The reason for doing this is simple. The IMU calibration sets the levels and also notes the basic operating temperature. If you do yours when it's really hot outside, then in winter time, the aircraft will take ages to warm up and you will have to wait until it reaches that pre-recorded operating temperature. If you the calibration on a cold day, or in the evening, or after having it in the refrigerator for a short time, the IMU calibration will be at the reduced temperature and therefore the equipment will be ready to go sooner.

Reactions: Numone
I fly a P3A also and i would use your video as a good example of what they can do.

Reactions: Numone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl