Does anyone really trust their altimeter? Should we?

Reaction score
Just curious how many pilots really trust the altimeter while flying. I know i've flown myself for example using GS PRo and have first hand seen it be way off. Cant say i've paid much attention to its accuracy while over water as my nerves do have me paying extra close attention to many things at a time. Do you think while it may not be accurate that its close enough to fly comfortably at least?

Thanks!

Do you think while it may not be accurate that its close enough to fly comfortably at least?
Comfortably enough for what? It's not like you're landing a fixed wing aircraft and need to know the runway height MSL. In fact, manned aircraft use the same exact method of determining altitude...a barometric reading and an offset depending on the actual sea level pressure at that time, in that area. We just don't have the offset since we are only concerned about AGL from takeoff home point.

For the purposes of a drone, I just need to know that I am at an altitude that keeps me safe and legal. If the altitude is off by a few feet and I am actually at 403 AGL instead of 399, I don't think the FAA is coming after me. When returning for landing, I always land manually so the reading means nothing. When flying above or below any structures, proper planning and line of sight are more important than the altitude reading.

So yes I believe it is more than accurate enough.

I think he's talking about flying close to water. At low altitudes the US sensor sets in and this is more accurate but not over the water where readings can be wrong. So flying very close to the water surface must be done visually.

Reactions: xmtrdr and MTO
I think he's talking about flying close to water. At low altitudes the US sensor sets in and this is more accurate but not over the water where readings can be wrong. So flying very close to the water surface must be done visually.
I noticed over water with waves the altitude at low levels would var with the waves. Once high enough over the water no difference.

Well, you don't usually take off from water, so its not going to be accurate down to the inch... If you are flying that close to water, use your eyes, not your gauges... But as others said, its close enough for the stuff I do... Mostly avoiding my buddy and his drone as we fly together.

Reactions: R Martin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20