Does anyone else get long range flights with their P3S stock?

Reaction score
fd73b0cf6611e34f2594713c90c8d071.jpg

Wow yip just saw good effort is this flight path legitimate,shoudent u have a green line on flight path where you came from,,,,6136,7mtrs =6.137km,,,,good flight ???????very clear hills but wifi not sure

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had brief moments of r/c connection at 600-700m during Litchi waypoint missions but otherwise I am lucky to get any more than 400m.

Reactions: Dronut2
mine only 400m to 600m on sub village are, here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks Ianzone! I've been trying to push this spot further and further. I failed to mention it was with a homemade windsurfer. I was thinking stock like no DBS mode. I don't know why the line is different color. I had to use the picture of the flight path because I thought I was recording video but I only took a still photo. I'm going to try and duplicate flight today and video it.

I am able to get it out to about 1100ft with stock setup. But, I have a lot of trees as interference in my area. So I'm doing good and I'm also only flying at 150ft in height.

I'm pretty happy so far, although I'd like just a little more distance so I'm going to give the ArgTek mod a try once I get the one I bought.

I did put on a home made windsurfer as well and got a couple hundred more feet out of it without the RTH.

Reactions: gnarlyvarúlfr
Stock I get around 4,300 feet, or about 8,400 feet with a windsurfer.

I agree 1100ft is great. I'm happy with going that far for most shots. I'm trying to put together some river run shots of northern Minnesota rivers. So right now trying to max out some of these distances now before spring. So when I reshoot them I can go out at the exact moment the light is better "I.E. early morn or late evening" and the longer the distance the more you can do with the shots in post. While doing this I noticed the higher the alt the further out you can go. I was up at 120m when I went 2.1 miles just today
26bdf282b0735261f679272d6dfe8ee0.jpg

I got a couple hundred more feet with the wind surfer but didn't fly it out until it hit the RTH so don't really know how much farther it will go with that mod. But it's worth making one for sure.

I made mine with some card stock and instead of lining it with aluminum foil I used the aluminum tape that is used for sealing duct work in a heating and air job. It worked great and since it's tape it has it's own sticky already so no glue is required.

2500 m or 7500 feet with a windsurfer and the Magic Power software mod when flying over flat fields. Video gets choppy beyond 2000 m, maybe I need to tweak the TX power and channel settings to get a more stable video link. I rarely go beyond 2000 m as I'm using the bird to map crop fields in autonomous mode using Litchi.

I think it's my wind surfer. It's made from a small aluminum treats canister and soda can gorilla glued in it. I guess I don't know what the range is without wind surfer. I made one from day one. For many years I've been made wifi parabolic boosters for the home wifi. I also think its do to my flights being down rivers and lakes where the terrain works as an additional parabolic antenna. It's not flat and there are thousands of pine trees. I also think if I could go over 400 ft up I could go further not even getting break in video till 10,000 ft.
adb4edc4ce5a0e39d58afc84d27f5311.jpg

There are many threads like this comparing ranges between various birds, and various antenna amplifier configurations, but these range numbers are not meaningful unless they are compared over the same terrain and flight path. The flight path is by far the most significant variable for range. Around my home, I never got more than 300 to 400 ft range because of the foliage and hills in my neighborhood, and wifi interference. With new high gain antennas, I only increased my range to about 400 to 700 ft. However, if I drive a few miles down the road and launch from a hilltop with a nice view, I can easily fly 6000 to 8000 ft before losing the link (same antennas but ten times the range). New antennas help, but terrain, altitude, and clear line of sight are everything if you want a big range number.

I think it's my wind surfer. It's made from a small aluminum treats canister and soda can gorilla glued in it. I guess I don't know what the range is without wind surfer. I made one from day one. For many years I've been made wifi parabolic boosters for the home wifi. I also think its do to my flights being down rivers and lakes where the terrain works as an additional parabolic antenna. It's not flat and there are thousands of pine trees. I also think if I could go over 400 ft up I could go further not even getting break in video till 10,000 ft.
adb4edc4ce5a0e39d58afc84d27f5311.jpg

I made a similar cantenna windsurfer but it wasn't as good as a proper parabolic antenna. IIRC I only got 1000 m on it. The curve on a soda can is a lot sharper than the gradual curve on the template antenna.

I agree, every area is different and this is the best spot so far for me. That's why I'm sharing it. I would never surmise it's the same everywhere. This spot also doesn't have a clear line of site the whole way with huge white pine trees. I am also not on a mountain top. I personally think no mod is needed for the standard for me. I understand the love for tricking something out. This is the 3rd one I've used and same results everywhere. If a little more time is spent in pre flight ( looking at google earth) you can do a lot. The parabolic wind surfer that I made is way wider than a pop can , its rolled out after its cut up. Just wondering if anyone has gone further than this 2.1 miles one way with stock?

Reactions: SkyHog

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31