Do you really need a MAVIC? Lol

For last two days I wanted to fly my phantom to capture beautiful hills and ocean views of Hawaii island. Wind is pretty strong here and I don't want to take a risk.

I need a drone that can tear apart high winds and give me a good footage. Mavic can't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I live Kauai, and I am a Kitesurfer. I had my P3A out in 25k with gusts little higher..I would believe the mavic will be able to do the same. Its profile is slimmer then the P3A so I can see it cutting through the wind without any problems. I am looking forward to getting those shots in the high winds that we enjoy...

I live Kauai, and I am a Kitesurfer. I had my P3A out in 25k with gusts little higher..I would believe the mavic will be able to do the same. Its profile is slimmer then the P3A so I can see it cutting through the wind without any problems. I am looking forward to getting those shots in the high winds that we enjoy...

I'm currently in Big Island and waiting for a steady wind. This island is so beautiful, moving around to see everything though carrying my drone with me.

The reason a lot of people are wanting to get rid of their Phantoms quickly to buy the Mavic is to try and get the best possible price. I bought mine 3 months ago and it's already dropped £200, I really don't want to lose loads of money but I can't afford the Mavic without selling the P3A. I want the Mavic for it's portability; the one thing my P3A hasn't got and the longer I wait to sell it, the less money I will get for it. The Phantom 3 is a brilliant bit of kit, but the Mavic looks like it has everything I need.

Reactions: Efarrell
The Mavic is about portability and is the single reason why I'm purchasing it. Having all the other features is like icing on the cake. I will never have to think to myself whether or not I want to lug my drone with me from now on. There are also many occasions where I wish I had my drone with me and didn't even think about taking it with me.

If you can't see that is what the Mavic is all about, I don't know what else to say. The only reason why I would buy another phantom, is for a significantly better camera. I'm talking much bigger sensor with better Dynamic Range.

Last edited:
I am like many of you and enjoy new tech but if it is not a ground breaking tech when your already flying last years "Ground breaking tech" then I find little need to pay the high price that come with new products. I compare last years tech with currant and see if the latest and greatest is worth the premium price tag. In many cases it is not. The P3A/P are long in the tooth after 1.5 years? Nope they are great tech but now at a much cheaper price. If you are new to the hobby buy a used one at unbelievable prices and get most of the modern features at a fraction of the cost. Yes I will likely own a Mavic but it will come with a extra battery or 2 a case extra props and only cost $500-. :)

The Mavic has all the bells and whistles and it fits in the overhead compartment on a airplane. My P3 just barely fit..and I couldn't bring much else if you don't like to check baggage.

To me, this was the first reason to purchase, all the other goodies are bonus.

The reason a lot of people are wanting to get rid of their Phantoms quickly to buy the Mavic is to try and get the best possible price. I bought mine 3 months ago and it's already dropped £200, I really don't want to lose loads of money but I can't afford the Mavic without selling the P3A. I want the Mavic for it's portability; the one thing my P3A hasn't got and the longer I wait to sell it, the less money I will get for it. The Phantom 3 is a brilliant bit of kit, but the Mavic looks like it has everything I need.

I have never owned a grown up drone before, but the Mavic will be my first one. I get why you need to sell your P3 while you can still get a reasonable price for it, but these are still being marketed and sold as new in high street shops and online. I understand the obvious thing is that prices will drop for these "new" 3rd generation models and have a subsequent mark down on the 2nd hand value. But there is one thing that appeals to me about these older models and may help to reduce the drop in value, and that's that these Phantoms have attitude and manual mode. Being able to improve your piloting skills to a level that every pilot should try to achieve is not possible with the Mavic, and for that reason I may well be in the market for an older quality drone to improve those skills.

I understand what Mr MacCool meant with the desire some people have of wanting the next best thing when you already have a perfectly serviceable tool at your disposal. I thought his biggest gripe was owners assuming that the best "tool" is all you need to capture great footage, rather than concentrating on developing your awareness of what makes a great finished video, opposed to capturing footage for the sake of it. Its like seeing people at a rock concert dancing around with a mobile phone held over their heads recording a video of their favourite band and expecting everyone on Facebook to like watching their footage, which at best makes you angry and at worst makes you feel physically ill ! Another analogy; a mid handicap golfer isn't going to improve his game by buying the latest set of clubs unless he gets fitted for them first and then does what he should have done before buying them by getting lessons from his local pro.
I'm not good with words, bad grammar but ok with visually explaining myself. Your post pretty much explains what I was trying to say. Thank you

I'm selling my I1, but not my P3P. Portability is very important to me, I get wonderful shots with my P3P because it's more portable and faster/easier to setup and take off than the Inspire, and I mean A LOT MORE.

Still, I lost A LOT of wonderful shots as well, for once I was never able to take my P3 along for a bike ride, and now I see that possible and happening often with the Mavic.

Don't get me wrong, the I1 is awesome but it's way too big and has way too short flight times for my most my needs, professional jobs included.

We don't need drones to start with. But now that we do, I look forward to film a lot more (myself and friends included) in places and situations I always wanted.

I'm not good with words, bad grammar but ok with visually explaining myself. Your post pretty much explains what I was trying to say. Thank you

I inadvertently addressed my reply to what I thought Mr MacCool was saying when I meant to address yourself Mr Drone Journey. As it is, I agree with what you were both posting and find it refreshing that a sensible conversion doesn't have to finish with a "mine's better than your's" aerial platform or opinion. Thanks for making the time to respond.

Ok ok we are sick of hearing about the next best drone. This is why I added this post. Every time a product launch happens everyone sells there old quads to buy the next best thing. I guess in a hope to get better captures and maybe become the next drone YouTube star lol. But the truth is you have to know how to film and get the captures first even with a old drone. Then you can get the best from your own creative moments. Don't get me wrong I want a Mavic. But just to put it in my pocket for light transport.. Hell now when you film you have to go through the ***** stuff of planning to capture that best one moment. This is a video of old out of date quads in my footage . I don't think a MAVIC would improve this. Not just right now. What's your thoughts

I don't own a mavic (yet) so this is all speculations based on reviews, etc. I know what you are saying, that you don't need the latest and greatest to get the best results. The mavic may/may not improve the quality but will definitely improve user experience. Improved user experience will mean less people quitting and more people learning and achieving in a shorter period of time. Here are a few pointers:

1. portability - this is a no brainer. i prefer to capture something OK quality then nothing at all - you can't edit if you have nothing to work with.
2. minimize setup times - the mavic is quickest in the dji range to get airborne. You should ask an Inspire pilot how long it takes to get airborne.
3. ease of use - There are heaps more usable autonomous functions on the Mavic then any other drone out there. Eg. I'm not sure which platform you have, but coming from a P3A, planning for an orbit around a subject took some time and was limited to stationary objects. The mavic is now much simpler by using active tracking and the orbit button.
4. Narrow profile - i have seen the Flitetest reviews and what the Mavic does exceptionally well is fly through tight spaces. The pilot was whizzing through trees at a low altitude and said he wouldn't risk it with a phantom. This means you can now be more creative as the Mavic is able to take risk that your phantom/inspire didn't.
5. Battery - more airtime, means more footage and range and more learning.

So now, all that planning, re-shoots, re-framing, recharging are now kept to a minimum. To me, that's improving my user experience and making things more enjoyable to do. The more i enjoy it, the more i do it, the more i learn, and the more i learn, the more quality my footage would be. The Mavic won't be the Steven Spielberg of cameras, but at least i will have it with me.

Last edited:
This is the silliest question ever, and if you don't want to hear about it, don't read the forum ;-)

I skipped the P4 and while the P3Pro is easier to carry than the Yuneec Typhoon H its still fills a carry on while travelling preventing much else from going in there with regard camera gear, the Mavic is the solution to that and it comes with the same bells and whistles as the P4. Its a logical next purchase.

For last two days I wanted to fly my phantom to capture beautiful hills and ocean views of Hawaii island. Wind is pretty strong here and I don't want to take a risk.

I need a drone that can tear apart high winds and give me a good footage. Mavic can't do it.

Same thoughts here in the Caribbean, constant high winds with maybe a day or two to fly a month. P3P struggles, lnspire's fine but risky. Horses for courses as we say, Mavic is l'm sure great for the right environment.

Reactions: Gunsession

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20