Do you fly out of sight?

Without a Part 107 you are the average consumer. So yes, you can fly willy nilly, with out a "freaking" pilot's license, too. You just can't do it professionally for business.

What if its not my business, but just something i use for it now and then (again, real estate)???

Just seems pretty drastic to require that when one could also go out and get rc planes and heli's and fly em faster and higher with, afaik, no requirement for a license and the heli's I've seen (friends) could do some VERY serious damage in the wrong hands and are not easy to fly, yet again, afaik do not require any licensing. So it just doesn't make sense to me why drones, with all the built-in safety's, are so much more restricted?

Maybe I'm missing something?

What if its not my business, but just something i use for it now and then (again, real estate)???

Just seems pretty drastic to require that when one could also go out and get rc planes and heli's and fly em faster and higher with, afaik, no requirement for a license and the heli's I've seen (friends) could do some VERY serious damage in the wrong hands and are not easy fly, so it doesn't make sense to me why drones, with all the built-in safety's are so much more restricted?

Maybe I'm missing something?

Yes. Your missing the commercial part.

If you do anything related to realestate with your UAV, that is considered commercial work. You'll need a 107 and hopefully you choose to insure yourself.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
Any legit commercial jobs you do are likely going to require 10 million dollars worth of liability insurance. Fortunately now you can buy a policy that will cover you on this day between these times and just pay a flat rate for that particular job. There's even an app for that.

I could of went farther but I flew around the forest for a bit before I went longer. Set up with the 2.5 g Alfa antennas.

b72aca4e3a8edead908826c90cc3d355.jpg

Reactions: Duchunter
Any legit commercial jobs you do are likely going to require 10 million dollars worth of liability insurance. Fortunately now you can buy a policy that will cover you on this day between these times and just pay a flat rate for that particular job. There's even an app for that.

10 million is a lil high. 1 million is more like the norm.

Alright, thanks for all the info. I'll look into the 107 cert. Hopefully it's not as difficult as getting an actual pilots license :-|

So far from what I've seen from faa.gov looks like I'll be chasing down the process alone for a while.

EDIT: One more thing, is it correct that non-licensed consumers using a drone for fun are free to go to 1000-2000+ feet, but someone with a 107 is always limited to 400 feet?

From what I hear it's not hard. Everybody gets all flustered with the sectional charts but the legend is on the chart and all the info is there for you to find. It's not difficult and there are a lot of free videos that will show you what you need to know and what is on the test. It's just 66 multiple choice questions and you have to get 70% correct.

Alright, thanks for all the info. I'll look into the 107 cert. Hopefully it's not as difficult as getting an actual pilots license :-|

So far from what I've seen from faa.gov looks like I'll be chasing down the process alone for a while.

EDIT: One more thing, is it correct that non-licensed consumers using a drone for fun are free to go to 1000-2000+ feet, but someone with a 107 is always limited to 400 feet?
If you are referring to altitude, then no. Both are limited to 400 AGL. AGL is "Above Ground Level". So, 400' AGL is the max, unless one or more airspace regulations in the flight area prevent that. There is another nuance to the height rule, depending on whether or not you are Part 107, pertaining to your proximity to buildings/structures. I am sure others will point that out.
Here is a good starting point.

What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik