Do not be in a Hurry to buy the Mavic

Every high end prosumer drone has to be compared with DJI products, as they are the benchmark.
I don't see why 'it's size and such' should make a comparison invalid. It appears to be the equal of the P4 in every respect, but portable without a monster backpack.

Who says DJI are the benchmark? No they certainly are not. They are good but not "the benchmark".

What he is getting at is apples and oranges. The two can't compare although they are both fruit.

The Phantom series was built to be a photography platform that's very easy to fly and had some self fly capability.

The Mavic is falling more into the market of "follow me drones". Only they have tried to also bite into the market of people who like the Phantom series as well.

The camera on the Mavic is inferior to the Phantom. But that's OK because it's strong point is that's it's. Impact. The Phantoms strong point was not compactness but that it was a serious photography platform.

At the end of the day they are 2 different class of drones which is why comparing them against each other only confirms what you can already see in the "Specifications" list.

which drone do you think is proper for personal use?

all depends on the use. There is no such thing as a "drone for personal use". There is camera platform drones at various levels, racing drones, payload drones etc etc

Do not be in a hurry to buy the Mavic. Or any drone for that matter, personal or otherwise. Or not. This thread is pointless.
The thread is not pointless but your comment certainly is.
disaprone look.gif

Reactions: ___
I think that everybody has a point here. I think the MAVIC is geared more towards "personal" use due to its size, but if you want to use it for commercial you can. I do not see this replacing the Phantom line. My reason is simple. The Phantom is their flagship drone, and it is tough. I don't think the MAVIC with it's folding arms can take the beating, that I know my P3 has taken, and keep running like a uni body drone. I bet when the 5 comes out, it will keep the classic Phantom look, but I bet it will pack a much better camera and all the sensor features of the MAVIC, in a much more durable case. Just my thoughts.

As a commercial drone operator and hobbiest, I think the inspire1 plus Mavic will meet my needs. I can use the Mavic (in place of my P3P) for real estate photos and just flying around for fun. The inspire 1 for high wind and high end commercial work. I think DJI has considered expanding the market by making it compelling for consumers to purchase more than one drone similar to how everyone has a phone and tablet.

The camera on the Mavic is inferior to the Phantom.

We are still on this after all this time
You do realize the only difference is the FOV which does not make it inferior If it makes you feel better to believe this then God bless you
I'm old and new to all this but I can read the postings from DJI and this is your invalid opinion The facts are out there if you look and accept them
Only a few more days and we will get to enjoy them

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I think that everybody has a point here. I think the MAVIC is geared more towards "personal" use due to its size, but if you want to use it for commercial you can. I do not see this replacing the Phantom line. My reason is simple. The Phantom is their flagship drone, and it is tough. I don't think the MAVIC with it's folding arms can take the beating, that I know my P3 has taken, and keep running like a uni body drone. I bet when the 5 comes out, it will keep the classic Phantom look, but I bet it will pack a much better camera and all the sensor features of the MAVIC, in a much more durable case. Just my thoughts.
I hope the 5 has retractable landing gear with a 360 cam, like the inspire. I already have the money put away for the Phantom 5,so if your reading this DJI ,take my monies!

Reactions: Rothgarr
I hope the 5 has retractable landing gear with a 360 cam, like the inspire. I already have the money put away for the Phantom 5,so if your reading this DJI ,take my monies!
You would have an inspire at that point. I would not think they would do that, to try and keep the cost down. I would be happy with some of the terrain follow options the MAVIC has, and a higher MP for the camera.

You would have an inspire at that point. I would not think they would do that, to try and keep the cost down. I would be happy with some of the terrain follow options the MAVIC has, and a higher MP for the camera.
Features trickle down to lower cost models in any industry. The only way the Phantom line would survive along the Mavic is if they give it some features found on the Inspire (now at a lower cost to manufacture) and keep the price point where it is. The next Inspire is sure to have new high end features to differentiate it from a (hypothetical) Phantom with retractable legs and 360 camera.

all depends on the use. There is no such thing as a "drone for personal use". There is camera platform drones at various levels, racing drones, payload drones etc etc
I guess I would try P1 for the first time use.

Not necessarily. If it still stayed the same size and weight, and pretty much the same form. I for one would love that. I already have 1200 saved away for the P5, putting a little away each month, by the time it comes out, if it comes out which I have faith ,I'll be preordering for sure. Ok now I'm getting way ahead of myself, First and foremost I need my preordered Mavic in my hands

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Do you guys really believe the Phantom will still be around this time next year? I don't, the Phantom is dead......the Mavic has everything the Phantom has. Why would the carry two dam near identical drones. Maybe keep the cheap Phantom Standard. I'm betting it will be the Mavic and Inspire line.....thats it

Other than a few advanced units the Mavic hasn't started shipping and the Mavic 2 is already in the works and the Phantom is dead.

Until real world sales happen and DJI has time to analyze figures nothing else is happening.

Looks like the mavic has issues and delayed in shipments are happening.

On the dji forum read the firmware has problems.

And all those people who put their money in (and taken by dji) are not a happy bunch.

Teeth are gnashing and the wailing has started !

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 18.22.07.png

Do you guys really believe the Phantom will still be around this time next year? I don't, the Phantom is dead......the Mavic has everything the Phantom has. Why would the carry two dam near identical drones. Maybe keep the cheap Phantom Standard. I'm betting it will be the Mavic and Inspire line.....thats it
Don't you think they will upgrade the Phantom line and add more features? Do you really think the Phantom line will continue with same features and become stagnant

Reactions: FASTFJR

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj