Do not be in a Hurry to buy the Mavic

Reaction score
I was one of the first to buy a P2 HD-3D FPV, P3 Standard, P3P, and Phanton 4. In every instance I was glad I made the early purchase from DJI when I could. However, I would like to urge a be of patience with this newest product from DJI.
This is a personal drone, not a commercial drone and should not be thought of as being the next generation of improvement in the DJI line of drones. DJI has not advertised the Mavic as a personal drone, but if you look hard at the adverstising and read between the lines, it is quite clear, this is just another drone, but for personal use due to it's size and such. So anyone expecting to get a high dollar camera system will be very disappointed as can be see from the initial ratings popping up all over the place for those who do have their hands on one. So buy this drone for what it is, a fun to fly and fun to video record with DJI drone. So making comparisons between other DJI products is stupid. It will never compare with the P4 or P3P. That is not the reason it was made.

What's the difference between a personal drone and a non personal?

Size? Features? Camera lens quality? Price? Attachments? Data Processing capabilities? .....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: PunaPhantom
I disagree. This is the next generation of the Phantom 4... they made it have everything the P4 has, plus longer flight times, longer range?

If this launch is good and the errors and glitches are minimal, we may never see a P5. Just an improved Mavic Pro 2.

Call this a personal Drone all you want... DJI is calling it a P4 that fits in your back pocket!

If this was a personal or selfie Drone, why do they need 4.1 mile range on the controller? You don't need that on a personal Drone! Do you need 27 minute flight times on a personal selfie Drone? No.

You guys on here are always trying to explain why you didn't adopt it early etc. why everyone should keep their other drones etc. if I hadn't bought the Mavic I'd be doing the same stuff. The truth of the matter is that technology marches on. P4 is an awesome Drone, and works amazingly. But if you want the upgraded P4 get the Mavic. You can take it anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I was one of the first to buy a P2 HD-3D FPV, P3 Standard, P3P, and Phanton 4. In every instance I was glad I made the early purchase from DJI when I could. However, I would like to urge a be of patience with this newest product from DJI.
This is a personal drone, not a commercial drone and should not be thought of as being the next generation of improvement in the DJI line of drones. DJI has not advertised the Mavic as a personal drone, but if you look hard at the adverstising and read between the lines, it is quite clear, this is just another drone, but for personal use due to it's size and such. So anyone expecting to get a high dollar camera system will be very disappointed as can be see from the initial ratings popping up all over the place for those who do have their hands on one. So buy this drone for what it is, a fun to fly and fun to video record with DJI drone. So making comparisons between other DJI products is stupid. It will never compare with the P4 or P3P. That is not the reason it was made.

Sniff sniff sniff... i smell smoke... a bit of burn.. sniff sniff sniff...
Lol. It seems like a lot of people are hating the Mavic. Oddly, these people own DJI products. Oddly, these people recently purchased a P4.

Read the rant if you have some time and waiting for you Mavic delivery. It's all speculation and my reasoning why P4 users are burning.

I do not think Frank Weng (aka DJI) wanted P4 users to feel this way. I think the Mavic-timely-launch was a personal thing for Frank, personally for him to 'instantly' kill the Karma (and maybe GoPro). I do think Frank even knew it would cannibalize his own lines. He could of waited another 6mths and sold them as P5's and they would sell out like hot-mooncakes.

For those that don't know, Frank and GoPro were bum-chums at the boom and rise of aerial photography. Greed separated them. There was 3 thirds to the aerial sky-pie that was being offered. GoPro wanted 2/3rds but Frank thought it should be the other way around. GoPro said they made Frank popular as every phantom back then were rocking GoPros. Frank once again thought it was the other way around. This led to DJI's proprietary Vision cameras and the relationship break up between GoPro and Frank. Frank continued to support the GoPro by adding the Zenmuse H4-3D gimbals for the P2 and non-DJI Phantom drones. GoPro on the other hand did the opposite by disabling features on the GoPro when docked in a Zenmuse line (disabling the 30 pin rear port, and suing Frank for using the proprietary port which led to the side port USB TV out, and firmwares that later disable TV out if a charge was detected). Frank is estimated to be 10bn company and I think he is just reminding GoPro about their bittersweet small-spoon-bigspoon relationship. I do think that one day, Frank will buy out GoPro just for laughs. I do fear this, as i also think Frank will monopolize the tech-automation world. You will probably have DJI chip/tech in your car in the next decade.

Sorry if it sounded like i was brown-nosing DJI. If i am, please overnight me a Mavic free of charge =)

And here is a potato.
potato.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree. This is the next generation of the Phantom 4... they made it have everything the P4 has, plus longer flight times, longer range?

If this launch is good and the errors and glitches are minimal, we may never see a P5. Just an improved Mavic Pro 2.

Call this a personal Drone all you want... DJI is calling it a P4 that fits in your back pocket!
You don't think the Phantom 5 is already flying?

The thing that puzzles me about the whole assumed "Phantom 4 burn" thing is that no one seems to grasp that many, maybe most, drone flyers don't want a P4 that fits in their back pocket. I'll be the first to agree that the whole folding arm/small size thing is very cool and a great marketing hook, but hard as it is to believe, there are people who don't take their drone everywhere they travel, or carry it in their purse, or sleep with it at night.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I completely agree with TheLightSpeedz and Mako79.
Had the Karma not hit the market,
the new P5 would have been released next February.
This new and amazing machine would have looked exactly like the Mavic.
Everyone would be cheering about how cool the new P5 was.

TheLightSpeedz said:

Mako79 said:
Lol. It seems like a lot of people are hating the Mavic. Oddly, these people own DJI products. Oddly, these people recently purchased a P4.

Read the rant if you have some time and waiting for you Mavic delivery. It's all speculation and my reasoning why P4 users are burning.

I do not think Frank Weng (aka DJI) wanted P4 users to feel this way. I think the Mavic-timely-launch was a personal thing for Frank, personally for him to 'instantly' kill the Karma (and maybe GoPro). I do think Frank even knew it would cannibalize his own lines. He could of waited another 6mths and sold them as P5's and they would sell out like hot-mooncakes.

For those that don't know, Frank and GoPro were bum-chums at the boom and rise of aerial photography. Greed separated them. There was 3 thirds to the aerial sky-pie that was being offered. GoPro wanted 2/3rds but Frank thought it should be the other way around. GoPro said they made Frank popular as every phantom back then were rocking GoPros. Frank once again thought it was the other way around. This led to DJI's proprietary Vision cameras and the relationship break up between GoPro and Frank. Frank continued to support the GoPro by adding the Zenmuse H4-3D gimbals for the P2 and non-DJI Phantom drones. GoPro on the other hand did the opposite by disabling features on the GoPro when docked in a Zenmuse line (disabling the 30 pin rear port, and suing Frank for using the proprietary port which led to the side port USB TV out, and firmwares that later disable TV out if a charge was detected). Frank is estimated to be 10bn company and I think he is just reminding GoPro about their bittersweet small-spoon-bigspoon relationship. I do think that one day, Frank will buy out GoPro just for laughs. I do fear this, as i also think Frank will monopolize the tech-automation world. You will probably have DJI chip/tech in your car in the next decade.

Sorry if it sounded like i was brown-nosing DJI. If i am, please overnight me a Mavic free of charge =)

And here is a potato.
potato.jpg

Last edited:

And here is a potato.
potato.jpg
ok so what does the potato have to do with this?

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
I was one of the first to buy a P2 HD-3D FPV, P3 Standard, P3P, and Phanton 4. In every instance I was glad I made the early purchase from DJI when I could. However, I would like to urge a be of patience with this newest product from DJI. This is a personal drone, not a commercial drone and should not be thought of as being the next generation of improvement in the DJI line of drones.

None of the drones you mentioned are commercial drones. So the Mavic being a "personal drone" is moot.

DJI has not advertised the Mavic as a personal drone, but if you look hard at the adverstising and read between the lines, it is quite clear, this is just another drone, but for personal use due to it's size and such. So anyone expecting to get a high dollar camera system will be very disappointed as can be see from the initial ratings popping up all over the place for those who do have their hands on one. So buy this drone for what it is, a fun to fly and fun to video record with DJI drone. So making comparisons between other DJI products is stupid. It will never compare with the P4 or P3P. That is not the reason it was made.

First, all Mavic footage you see are from post production models. Second, they were sent out without any instructions. So almost everyone did not know about the new focus settings. There are _plenty_ of videos out there that you would be hard pressed to tell if it was from a Mavic or a P4.

Reactions: Closus
None of the drones you mentioned are commercial drones. So the Mavic being a "personal drone" is moot.
This is exactly what I was thinking. OP is talking about personal and commercial drones but every single one he named are all consumer level personal drones.

Reactions: Closus

And here is a potato.
potato.jpg
I don't see your commentary as "brown nosing". DJI are seemingly the overwhelming market leaders in recreational drones for a reason. They are masers at packaging technology and features and delivering at a reasonable price point.

They employ very clever people. Their recently appointed VP who is an industry expert in drone laws to (presumably) assist in ensuring regulators don't ridiculously restrict drone operation was a genius move.

I don't think we will see DJI tech in our cars though. While they are masters at product development the core tech is sourced externally. You mention things going sour with DJI and GoPRO, the specs of the P3/P4 cameras and GoPro are similar for a likely reason, both use Sony EXMOR sensors and Ambarella A9 processors. When you rely on third party smarts your competitors can go around you.

Taiwanese companies supply batteries ( Chicony Power Technology Co), micro controllers are sourced from Nuvoton Technology Corp, cameras assembled by Chicony Electronics Co etc. It is also on public record that Taiwan based Auras Technology Co and WT Microelectronics Co have investments in Hong Kong-registered JCD Optical Co which supplies camera lenses to DJI.

And let's not forget the revolutionary machine learning object tracking (P4) and, more recently, gesture recognition in the Mavic, we can thank Movidius for developing the SOC that enables this functionality.

Hats of to DJI for what they have acheived. There is room for other entrants though and competition can only benefit us all. You would have to think the major VC providers to DJI will invest in others who show promise.

Last edited:
Just my option on the Mavic, it seems like a lot of people on here buy the phantom and are always trying to get more range out of the phantom me included , you can check the posts how many people are doing battery mods, how many are adding on and altering their antennas to get more range, longer flight times, everyone of us would love more battery time, a bit longer flights.....now out comes the Mavic which has upped the anti on all of this with longer flight times, farther distance and still a great quad and even more portability, I don't think it's meant to take over the phantoms spot it's just filling a void in the drone market for those of us that want longer/ farther flight times and still get great photos, not all of us are professional photographers there lots on here who just like to fly and still take great photos and I think this drone fills the need for all that for those who want it, it's got a little bit of everything in it longer flight/ further distance capabilities/and sport mode like a racer plus the ability for great photos just my opinion on the Mavic

I don't think it's meant to take over the phantoms spot it's just filling a void in the drone market for those of us that want longer/ farther flight times and still get great photos,

It didn't take over the phantoms, it killed it. if you have never owned a drone and had to pick between a P4 and Mavic based on specs/price, you would choose the Mavic hands down. The only advantage I could see with the P4 was it could take off from taller grass and beat the mavic in a quarter mile drag race by a quad-length.

If the Mavic is proven to be reliable then DJI has hit the drone-G-spot market. The only thing missing on the Mavic is a 3.5mm jack.

It didn't take over the phantoms, it killed it. if you have never owned a drone and had to pick between a P4 and Mavic based on specs/price, you would choose the Mavic hands down. The only advantage I could see with the P4 was it could take off from taller grass and beat the mavic in a quarter mile drag race by a quad-length.

If the Mavic is proven to be reliable then DJI has hit the drone-G-spot market. The only thing missing on the Mavic is a 3.5mm jack.
That is a good thing... right? I mean, would you still want to be riding around in a car with drum brakes, bais ply tires and an all steel dashboard, or how about if we all still had glass tube televisions to watch in glorious 480 resolution or a 3.5mm jack on an iPhone... I mean thats so 2015. :D Change is good, sometimes scary or hard to deal with but change is constant. Embrace the goodness! :cool:

And the camera is as good as the P4 from the videos I have seen. 5 more days till they ship!

m7lzLQ2.gif

Agree with everything that has been said here, including the Mavic is the successor to the Phantom series.
This means there should at least be 12 months until next upgrade in the consumer class camera drones from DJI (please refrain from calling Phantom's commericial/prosumer drones, they are not) which would make a Mavic purchase quite well timed right now.

I probably won't buy it thanks to the encoding being utter crap, like the Inspire X3 and Phantom 4. DJI needs to fix this, a simple firmware update is all it takes. 60 mbit on 4k is a joke.

I currently fly a P3P. If it got destroyed and I HAD to buy something right now, I'd probably get the Mavic.

However, I don't think this is the end of the Phantom line. The name "Phantom" has become synonymous with drones and I believe it's too valuable to retire the name. My gut feeling is that the Phantom will either get higher-end features (maybe retractable legs, maybe swappable camera, maybe higher-end camera with much larger sensor, etc.). Maybe it gets features handed down from the Inspire at a lower price than the Inspire. These are all just gut feelings, of course. But i do feel like there will still be a place for the Phantom between the Mavic and the Inspire (especially if the next Inspire is really expensive).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr