Do battery side motors spin faster?

That's actually a very good question and something that's never occurred to me. So, that being the case, if I'm in a situation trying to get home on low battery, would it help to fly backwards and use the rear weight to help tilt the AC thus using less power?
Interestingly enough, I usually DO fly home backwards because that way the controls are straight. i.e. Left is left, right is right...

Very clever idea. But as someone who flew fixed wing aircraft (that don't fly backwards) for 17 years before getting a drone, that idea never occurred to me.

Reactions: With The Birds
I tend to agree. Plus you will be seeing on your tablet where you are going - not where you have been. Much safer.

Reactions: 3rdof5
You would be better served practicing nose in and all other orientation control to the point it becomes second nature.
Yes control is more 2nd nature when the AC is facing away from you and I always manually land that way, but as said above, and it's something I practice in any flight mode, it's best to be able to "know" which way your aircraft is facing and use the sticks accordingly and automatically and I've gotten much better :)

Yes control is more 2nd nature when the AC is facing away from you and I always manually land that way, but as said above, and it's something I practice in any flight mode, it's best to be able to "know" which way your aircraft is facing and use the sticks accordingly and automatically and I've gotten much better :)
Actually second nature is when you dont have to think about it. My entry to RC was with RC heli’s. Loose your concentration when your starting out and you have about 5 seconds and the opportunity to apply three corrections before your expensive model is doing the chicken dance on the ground. I got into a bad habit early. Flying with the nose pointing away from me because the orientation was native, the controls were easy (for the reasons you have stated) and it seemed logical that would be the best way to learn. Progress from there.

I was wrong.

It took me the best part of two months to break those bad habits, it set me back. I was lucky to get help from experienced RC heli pilots who could take over (trainer port connection) if I lost it. Lots of figure 8’s, squares, circling with the nose in out and to both sides. Once it clicks you have it.

The phantoms are ridiculously easy to fly. You have the chance to get it right without needing a second operator ready to to rescue you. Let go of the sticks and the phantom will happily wait for you to get things right.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Interestingly enough, I usually DO fly home backwards because that way the controls are straight. i.e. Left is left, right is right...

I appreciate your reason for it .... but I think you are risking error ...

As another says - fixed wing ! Its an important factor to learn unless you like buying / repairing models all the time. Getting used to 'orientation' of model is a safety factor that one day if not learned could mean loss of your Quad.

Back to motor speeds.

Yes the Phantom is not balanced centrally. It is offset. In absolute still air - the motors to hover would run slightly faster on the heavier side to counter the weight offset. But even inside buildings - the flight pattern and air movement will have far greater affect on the motors required thrust. The Flight controller throttles the motors depending on accelerometers, gyros and other data coming in allied to pilots commands.

Overall it means that it basically the motors will suffer similar wear and tear ...

Nigel

Reactions: Phantom Pirate

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z