DJI's Naming Process

Reaction score
Personally I think DJI's product naming process really needs an over-haul.

Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Professional. Okay, easy enough.. main difference is the camera. But then they come out with the Phantom 3 Standard and then the Phantom 3 4k. The Phantom 3 4K seems like its a Phantom 3 with 4k... like the Phantom 3 Professional. But it's not. It seems like it's like a Phantom 3 Standard... and it is but it lacks the Standard name.

DJI then releases the Mavic Pro.... but there was never a, Mavic. So what is "pro" above this Mavic?

We now have the Phantom 4 Pro. This _was_ released after the Phantom 4 and adds some nice features. However, DJI has used the "Professional" name in the past with the Phantom 3, as noted above. This was the Phantom 3 with a 4k camera (not to be confused with the Phantom 3 4k which still has a 3k camera but is not the same thing as the Phantom 3 Professional).

Not a huge deal but very confusing. I'd think DJI could do a much better job in naming their products. I think it's probably a little difficult as all the Phantoms have the same visual design so they want to keep that name. Microsoft went through the same issues when they went with the years as a naming process (a huge fail as it automatically dated their products).

DJI then releases the Mavic Pro.... but there was never a, Mavic. So what is "pro" above this Mavic?
They did register an aircraft named the "Mavic" with the FCC at the same time the "Mavic Pro" was registered. I suspect they might be behind on the release schedule though -- since the Mavic Pro is behind at the moment.

I agree. It is very confusing. Remind me of the BMW nomenclature for their different engines and drive trains in the different series' they make. 330i, 330xyz}#%]...what? Does that mean it will go now? Haha!

YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCb6vXQwUvExZ3p2ljMdEHDQ
Instagram: toxicmedium

Standard, advanced, pro, standard with 4K camera as 4K. We know Pro = professional. Maybe Mavic is chinglish for Maverick and skipping straight to pro isn't a big deal. It's just names. We know what's what.

Just checking out the new inspire, 0 to 50mph in 4 sec with dual redundancy on everything and 5.2k prores. Who cares what they call it. December delivery also.

When I was first looking at DJI products, P3 era, I had to read the descriptions because the naming convention was not indicative of the functionality of each.

I agree with the car analogy above. I can't tell if an SS model has more features than an RS model vs a Limited... IMO, its a good idea to read the detailed description anyways so you know exactly what each model does/has.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4