DJI - The Quality Control Champion

I certainly wouldn't buy them from anywhere except legitimate dealers just not worth the risk of your aircraft dropping from the sky and there are enough cases of that without having counterfeit batteries to blame......or maybe some of the incidents of loss of power have been counterfeit batteries ?? (dropped that one in for the consipracy theorists lol).

;)

pyrophantom said:
I certainly wouldn't buy them from anywhere except legitimate dealers just not worth the risk of your aircraft dropping from the sky and there are enough cases of that without having counterfeit batteries to blame......or maybe some of the incidents of loss of power have been counterfeit batteries ?? (dropped that one in for the consipracy theorists lol).

;)

Yes, we have enough issues with DJI legitimate products, definitely not a good idea to introduce other issues, even if it would be the same quality.

Hmmmm.... I'll translate that.

"Don't buy aftermarket/Third Party batteries because it affects our profits and that's all we are interested in. We want to stuff you guys up all we can and will use scaremongering techniques so you keep buying our overpriced accessories"

Did I miss anything out?

OK, a little sarcasm in my comment (maybe) but even if you buy from a DJI dealer you may end up with a third party product.

There are so many Chinese (and where does the Phantom originate from) counterfeit products out there even Amazon was hit recently selling fake Sandisk SD cards which they believed to be genuine.

The Editor said:

"Don't buy aftermarket/Third Party batteries because it affects our profits and that's all we are interested in. We want to stuff you guys up all we can and will use scaremongering techniques so you keep buying our overpriced accessories"

Did I miss anything out?

I agree.

if DJI wants to put up claims about a competitor's product they need to back it up with objective, preferably measurable evidence.

If they can't/won't do that then just simply say:

"Use of non-genuine DJI Phantom battery is not recommended as we cannot guarantee the performance of your Phantom. DJI recommends the use of authorised parts only."

That would have been sufficient. If they want to make more claims then they need evidence otherwise it is scaremongering.

Presumably they have a way of knowing their own batteries so when they come to repair a faulty aircraft and find it has duff counterfeit batteries in they can turn round and say sod off m8, warranty invalid !!

The Editor said:

Did I miss anything out?

OK, a little sarcasm in my comment (maybe) but even if you buy from a DJI dealer you may end up with a third party product.

There are so many Chinese (and where does the Phantom originate from) counterfeit products out there even Amazon was hit recently selling fake Sandisk SD cards which they believed to be genuine.

The message is something like this...

We would not mind if someone comes out with something better.
In fact, we would recommend it.

But, at DJI, we care about you and your family.

So in the interest of your safety, we tested them.
We are sad to report that they are not as good as ours for the following reasons...

As it is well known, we stand behind our products and for any possible fault of ours,
we promptly replace the defective item.

We are unable to do so if you use these after market items, as they might cause a failure we cannot control.

At DJI it's not about money... It's all about YOU...

The DJI battery is a great battery except for the ever so small issue of it shutting itself off mid-flight! :shock: I keep thinking of the one guy who spent three days walking through a field trying to find his Phantom after the battery shut down.

PhantomRock said:
The message is something like this...

We would not mind if someone comes out with something better.
In fact, we would recommend it.

But, at DJI, we care about you and your family.

So in the interest of your safety, we tested them.
We are sad to report that they are not as good as ours for the following reasons...

As it is well known, we stand behind our products and for any possible fault of ours,
we promptly replace the defective item.

We are unable to do so if you use these after market items, as they might cause a failure we cannot control.

At DJI it's not about money... It's all about YOU...

It's more like - "If you buy their battery - no soup for you"

ianwood said:
The DJI battery is a great battery except for the ever so small issue of it shutting itself off mid-flight! :shock: I keep thinking of the one guy who spent three days walking through a field trying to find his Phantom after the battery shut down.

Still not sure if that is a battery issue Ian or a connection or firmware issue that is causing these shutdowns. Either way it needs to be sorted asap.
DJI will never admit to the problem in any case, there will just be a firmware update at some point saying something like "Improved stability under heavy load"

And THAT is the one we are all looking for.........

The Editor said:
Still not sure if that is a battery issue Ian or a connection or firmware issue that is causing these shutdowns. Either way it needs to be sorted asap.
DJI will never admit to the problem in any case, there will just be a firmware update at some point saying something like "Improved stability under heavy load"

And THAT is the one we are all looking for.........

Well they did make a change in 1.08 where they made it so the FC would never tell the battery to shut down mid flight. Before that, if the data pins to the battery lost contact mid-flight, the FC would merrily shut everything down because it thought a "non-intelligent battery" was being used. That's not to say they botched the fix and there's still a more rare condition where it happens.

My guess is there is a safety switch in the battery that, like a fuse, cuts the power if the current exceeds a certain threshold. It makes sense to fuse that much power in case of short circuit. There could be transient loads that are tripping it.

ianwood said:
Well they did make a change in 1.08 where they made it so the FC would never tell the battery to shut down mid flight. Before that, if the data pins to the battery lost contact mid-flight, the FC would merrily shut everything down because it thought a "non-intelligent battery" was being used. That's not to say they botched the fix and there's still a more rare condition where it happens.

My guess is there is a safety switch in the battery that, like a fuse, cuts the power if the current exceeds a certain threshold. It makes sense to fuse that much power in case of short circuit. There could be transient loads that are tripping it.

Certainly possible if they have tried to make the proprietary batteries as safe as possible. I just think they may have been a little over zealous in their current limitations though. The strange thing is, some of the 'death drop' videos I've seen have occurred under not particularly heavy loading. The videos I've looked at seem as though the craft suffers a total power failure and not just a momentary power loss. If that was the case you would expect to see the Phantom/Naza reboot during its fall to earth. This implies to me that the battery itself is shutting down and the only way to restore power is to do the one press + seconds press cycle again...... a bit difficult when your P2 is 200ft up in the air!

I have never like sprung loaded pins though (no matter how strong the springs!)

DJI may have a point. Then again, as stated, they only want to make all the cash and offer little support.
I have been thinking of one of those cheap batteries. If I do, I will fly close to the ground and not far away. Run it down and recharge and try again. After several "safe" flights I can say I saved 1/2 the price. If it crashes to the grass after a flight or two I can say I lost 1/2 the price of a "real" battery. It is called taking a chance. We do that every time we get up in the morning.....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl