DJI PV+ Flyaway - Crash - Definition (all about flyways)

Re: DJI Phantom Vision + Flyaway problem and Crash

pawnmeister said:
so...the obvious questions...semi-professional RC pilot? not detail oriented?

+1 :) must be due to the shock

Sounds like pilot error to me. Should NEVER calibrate the compass inside the house!

Doono said:
4wd said:
Mako79 said:
Out of curiosity, did it fly in the direction of your LAST known HOME position?

Prevention:
I'm no expert but...
Those who read this, try this before launching. Get the 6> satellites (duh). Don't start the motor. Pick it up by the arm so you don't cover the GPS and walk around in a figure 8. This will prevent "erroneous" false GPS lock. Place it down on a cardboard box or storage box (avoid concrete slabs with rebar or metal) and with NAZA mode activated, reset the home position manually by (left toggle switch) click IOC OFF, IOC Course Lock, repeat 5-8 times quickly and you will see the lights flash rapidly green again. So just to rephrase, left toggle, switch to UP, THEN MIDDLE about 5-8 times till you RAPID GREEN FLASHES. This locks the "new" home position. Start her up with all toggle switches up. Get her to hover in front you and do the avionics check. Redo the Click OFF, Course lock again and this will guarantee the new home position. You can do this in mid flight to lock new home positions.

That is incorrect information, doing that resets course lock.
You toggle between the two lower positions to reset the home location manually.

you are correct.
toggle 1 and 2 re/sets the direction for the course.
toggle 2 and 3 re/sets the home position.
Thanks

I will confirm this when i get airborne next.

Would simply a bad calibration cause the P2V+ to take off, then crash to the ground the way this accident is explained? He said he had no control.

I'm still not convinced this was the only error.

Jimmy

JamesD said:
Would simply a bad calibration cause the P2V+ to take off, then crash to the ground the way this accident is explained? He said he had no control.

I'm still not convinced this was the only error.

Jimmy

I think this is a compounded problem. With geofence and/or home position and/or airport restrictions and/or GPS and/or compass. Any combination of these.

One possible scenario: GPS position is all good. The compass direction is all wrong. The phantom all of a sudden thinks it is out of the geofence limits because the home position is wrong and the geofence limits are at their minimums (no matter what was set in the assistant). It immediately flies out of control to where it thinks it needs to go, which is away from where it is in some direction it has miscalculated.. Through the ground is the shortest distance between where it is and where it needs to go.

That's just one possible scenario.

@JamesD: The incident happened around 6:30pm. It took me almost 45min to come out of the shock and examine the Phantom. Around 7:15pm, I tried calling DJI but they were closed. Didn't think about calling B&H. Decided to ask for some advices before I proceed with this.

Bottom line: I think I recalibrated it wrong. I shouldn't have done that because last time when I flew my phantom it was just fine but I read in the manual to always recalibrate the compass before flying and that's what I did.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really really appreciate it. I will be calling B&H today and then lets see what happens. I will keep updating you guys.

Update: B&H was closed today because of some holiday but will be calling them tomorrow and let's what happens.

Called DJI and after about 45 minutes I finally got a hold on them and of course the rep started with UNFORTUNATELY and I was like I got my answer already. He said that 96% of the times when a crash happens, it's an error from the pilot. He said that he will send me the RMA (which he never did) and I need to send them the unit, they will examine it ($65/hour) and then they will be giving me an estimate which should be around $700. Also they will examine the unit if it was an error from the pilot or the unit was defective. Don't know if it's worth it. I am thinking about figuring out a way to install a GoPro 3 with gimbal on it but don't know if that's possible.

All the new guys like me: Before you fly your Phantom, it is highly recommended by DJI to use the 5.8GHZ controller because the 2.4GHZ controller which comes with the unit is apparently a piece of **** which interferes with all the wifi routers etc which may result in a flyway or fly on it's own.

more updates coming soon.

faadi80 said:
Update: B&H was closed today because of some holiday but will be calling them tomorrow and let's what happens.
All the new guys like me: Before you fly your Phantom, it is highly recommended by DJI to use the 5.8GHZ controller because the 2.4GHZ controller which comes with the unit is apparently a piece of **** which interferes with all the wifi routers etc which may result in a flyway or fly on it's own.

You're in the Vision Plus forum so I assume you have a Vision Plus. There is no 2.4GHZ controller with your Phantom. So I'm a little lost.

Doono said:
faadi80 said:

You're in the Vision Plus forum so I assume you have a Vision Plus. There is no 2.4GHZ controller with your Phantom. So I'm a little lost.

You know what? I feel like I don't know anything anymore. Until 30mins ago i thought the controller (transmitter) I got with my Phantom 2 Vision + is 2.4ghz but it's 5.8Ghz I think.

Remote controller = 5.8GHz (manual page 23, section 5 Preparing the Remote Controller)

WiFi extender = 2.4GHz (manual page 29, section 6 Preparing the Range Extender)

faadi80 said:
Doono said:
faadi80 said:

You know what? I feel like I don't know anything anymore. Until 30mins ago i thought the controller (transmitter) I got with my Phantom 2 Vision + is 2.4ghz but it's 5.8Ghz I think.

That's right. The wifi extender (small white rectangular thing on your controller) is 2.4GHZ. It allows your phone to communicate with the Phantom when it's in the air. It lets your phone control the camera and receive telemetry info (altitude, distance, satellites etc). The controller is 5.8GHZ. They are on different bands so they don't get confused.
So:
Controller to Phantom 5.8GHZ.
Phone to wifi extender, to Phantom 2.4GHZ.

Doono said:
Doono said:
faadi80 said:
Update:
That's right. The wifi extender (small white rectangular thing on your controller) is 2.4GHZ. It allows your phone to communicate with the Phantom when it's in the air. It lets your phone control the camera and receive telemetry info (altitude, distance, satellites etc). The controller is 5.8GHZ. They are on different bands so they don't get confused.
So:
Controller to Phantom 5.8GHZ.
Phone to wifi extender, to Phantom 2.4GHZ.

Is there anyway to change the wifi extender from 2.4 to 5.8Ghz or any other so it doesn't interfere with wifi routers around me?

Sorry if this is a childish question but I feel like i have to learn all this from scratch.

Is there anyway to change the wifi extender from 2.4 to 5.8Ghz or any other so it doesn't interfere with wifi routers around me?

Sorry if this is a childish question but I feel like i have to learn all this from scratch.[/quote]

Well, anything is possible, but you don't have to. There's heaps of us flying these things with no problems from interference.
Try not to worry. Take your time, read the manual (like all of us, you won't get it all until you've flown a bit).

Make sure all the batteries are full. (in the controller, the wifi extender and the Phantom)
Go to an open area to fly.
Turn on the controller, then the wifi extender, then the Phantom.(reverse this order when powering down)
Connect your phone to the Phantom wifi network.
Wait. (relax)
When you see green lights flashing on and off, look at your phone.
You should see more than 6 satellites connected. (satellite icon)
Now calibrate the compass. (you ONLY need to do this once. IF YOU MOVE to another location, do it again from that location)
Flick the right hand switch down and up 5 times or more (finish in the upright position). You should see solid yellow from the lights.
Pick up the Phantom and rotate it horizontally, the light will go from yellow to green. Point the nose to the ground and rotate it on it's vertical axis, the light will go out.
Put the Phantom down.
Watch the lights start to flash green again.
Both sticks down and together.
Motors start.
Left stick up with confidence. (don't be too soft, it will fall over).
Stop, let it hover a couple of meters off the ground.
Watch the Phantom for 1 or 2 minutes.
If it hovers without drifting more than a meter or so, you can continue.
Relax.
Fly it around slowly, get a feel for what the sticks do.
When you start to think you'll send it off into the distance, DON'T. Bring it back to you.
Hover a meter off the ground and slowly land (there's no hurry).
You have now completed a successful flight. :)

From now on, you can repeat ad nauseam, until you feel you're ready to go further.
What do you think?

Genuinely sorry to hear of your troubles. Doono offers you good advice if you decide to keep flying DJI products. For now, your options are limited. If finances are your primary concern, you can probably get a repair done cheaper through DJI than B&H and DJI certainly has more experience doing repairs to these units. Unfortunately, be prepared for the process to take a couple of months because DJI repair department is ultra slow. IMHO, neither DJI nor B&H is going to pick up the tab for this, nor would any other retailer. When a unit crashes, it is presumed to be the fault of the operator because the vast majority of time the user could have prevented the incident, and these companies would go broke if they routinely paid to fix something that wasn't there fault (or they would have to charge a much higher price for the unit). There are occasionally exceptions made when an event is clearly not the fault of the operator, such as when the video shows that a motor or ESC failed mid flight, but this is rare and certainly doesn't appear to be the cause of your incident.

If the folks on here sound a little cynical, it's because we hear many stories from people new to the phantom platform each week that are similar to your situation. Generally (not always) the problem could have been avoided if the person had taken more time to get to know the proper operating procedures for the copter. This is against our human nature because we are all anxious to get these things in the air as quickly as possible, and most folks barely make it through the quick start guide, let alone the full manual or additional reading through online forums like this one. These copters are very complicated machines and it's critical to have a pre-flight checklist prepared before each and every flight to avoid bad things from happening. Hang in there. We've all had to learn the hard way at some point. These quadcopters are super fun to fly and it can be a great hobby. Here's another good thread for reading about avoiding "flyaways" if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17055

Doono said:

Sorry if this is a childish question but I feel like i have to learn all this from scratch.

Well, anything is possible, but you don't have to. There's heaps of us flying these things with no problems from interference.
Try not to worry. Take your time, read the manual (like all of us, you won't get it all until you've flown a bit).

Make sure all the batteries are full. (in the controller, the wifi extender and the Phantom)
Go to an open area to fly.
Turn on the controller, then the wifi extender, then the Phantom.(reverse this order when powering down)
Connect your phone to the Phantom wifi network.
Wait. (relax)
When you see green lights flashing on and off, look at your phone.
You should see more than 6 satellites connected. (satellite icon)
Now calibrate the compass. (you ONLY need to do this once. IF YOU MOVE to another location, do it again from that location)
Flick the right hand switch down and up 5 times or more (finish in the upright position). You should see solid yellow from the lights.
Pick up the Phantom and rotate it horizontally, the light will go from yellow to green. Point the nose to the ground and rotate it on it's vertical axis, the light will go out.
Put the Phantom down.
Watch the lights start to flash green again.
Both sticks down and together.
Motors start.
Left stick up with confidence. (don't be too soft, it will fall over).
Stop, let it hover a couple of meters off the ground.
Watch the Phantom for 1 or 2 minutes.
If it hovers without drifting more than a meter or so, you can continue.
Relax.
Fly it around slowly, get a feel for what the sticks do.
When you start to think you'll send it off into the distance, DON'T. Bring it back to you.
Hover a meter off the ground and slowly land (there's no hurry).
You have now completed a successful flight. :)

From now on, you can repeat ad nauseam, until you feel you're ready to go further.
What do you think?[/quote]

@Doono: Thank you so much for the wonderful and true advice. I saved the method you told me and I think I will learn a great deal from it. You stated that anything is possible as far as changing or upgrading the band on wifi. Just to be on a safe side, how will I upgrade the wifi extender from 2.4 to 5.8?

@ToddSmi: Thank you Thank you for your generous response. You are absolutely right. Now when more time is passing I am thinking it was clearly my mistake. Your advice is well received and I am going to start studying about it more and more.

I read somewhere that I can fix the camera for around $100. Do you know anything about that. When I examine the camera and gimbal today, seems like the camera is in working condition but it came a part from the gimbal. Please visit the link again for more pictures. http://www.fahadsworld.com/Drone

If you changed your 2.4GHZ connection to 5.8GHZ, you will have two 5.8GHZ connections. This will cause problems as the two signals will be using the same bandwidth. If you leave it as it is, you will have many enjoyable hours of flying.

So I might believe in flyaways more now

So after reading numorus amounts of posts regarding flyaways, I came to the conclusion that it was pilot error most of the time, people not reading instructions / watching Youtube tutorials and just taking to the sky's.

Today a friend of mine got a chance to fly his, received it couple of days ago and this was his 2nd flight with dji, he also owns a Blade 350qx so his had multi rotors before so his not a total nub.

This is how his doomed 2nd flight went down, waited few mins for gps lock,got 7 sats home point set so took off about 50ft high, all is well a little windy but she holds steady, all of a sudden it goes to 0 satellites so it starts to drift so he brings it back in for a landing quick, waits on ground for satalite lock again but won't go past 4, maybe because a few small trees around, so he takes off with 4 satalites to get above the tree line to get 7+ sats and gps lock, which is what happend. So now he is 100ft maybe more gps is working everything seems fine, then maybe 300ft away gps has gone 0 satalites so basically it's in atti mode and drifting with the wind, he activates RTH which does nothing wifi connection now broke so he can't see what way it's looking, now the strange thing is that it starts to drift but not with the wind, it's flying in to the wind on its own with 0 satalites and no gps flicks in to atti mode to try and rescue it but control has gone and has a mind of its own, I have had 100+ flights in the 3 weeks I have owned mine and I couldn't get control, 3 hours searching and a few Aireal flyovers with my pv2+ and still couldn't find it.

So I am now a firm believer in flyaways after witnessing this first hand

Re: So I might believe in flyaways more now

Ok, so mine just flew away 10 mins ago! I had 10 satellites and live in a very rural area. What you describe is almost what happened to me. Lost all satellites, then I could see it tilt at a funny angle to the right and then gone. I flew this afternoon and it seemed buggy so I recalibrated the compass and for the first 10 mins it flew well. I tried atti mode, failsafe, shut the controller off, and then tried to shut the motors off. Just prior I had tried home lock to see how it handled and it did just fine. This was my forth flight with this machine. I have over 70 flights with my P2V and kind of feel like I know what I'm doing. No I'm out $1300 if I can't find it in the 5000 acres behind my house.

I posted an extensive "13 steps" diatribe to prevent fly aways.
These don't sound like operator error, or any fault of your own. It really doesn't.
Do me a favor, both of you: look at 2 things. What was the space weather for you today and what were the winds aloft?
Barring those things, if ATTI mode failed, you struck a BIG insect and destroyed a prop tip, causing the NAZA to react in an unpredicatible way, or a motor began to fail, or an ESC began to fail, or your GPS connection wasn't tight. Three out of four were not you fault, and the fourth is bad luck.
If you find the dang things, please report on their status. Good luck, happy hunting, and I am truly sorry. As I have had a full 2 months of enjoyment and close to 100 flights, my flight cost had decreased to just $13.60 per flight. ($1369.00/100 flights). I'll be much happier with 6 months and 400 flights ($3.42/flight).
GPS trackers should be mandatory equipment... at least you stand a chance to recover the bird and maybe get DJI to replace.

Again, sorry for your loss. Both the OP and second post ring true...

I'm not sure what space weather is but there was virtually no wind. I was at about 190 feet going about 10 mph. I was making a gentle turn to the left to fly home and could see my backyard when the props appeared in the view, then the right tilt, then gone. I wasn't flying hard because it is a new machine. With my P2V I would be wringing it out at full throttle. I have flown this route dozens of times and never have had any issues. I'm thinking I know about where it may have come down based on what I could hear but behind me is a vast dense southern forest full of ticks, snakes, poison ivy, brambles.....you get the picture. Gonna be a long weekend. And BTW, I read your post and many more about fly-aways. I am extremely careful and paranoid of an accident. (Just ask my son who always laughs at my cautious flying). I always avoid my neighbors house and stay away from the one road we have.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik