DJI PV+ Flyaway - Crash - Definition (all about flyways)

Re: So I might believe in flyaways more now

Another bit of info. The "find my Phantom" showed the location where it lost GPS signal. I walked to the exact spot in a wheat field and it corresponds to the last thing I saw. I have flown Atti mode many times with my P2V but the + responded to nothing. I always pay attention to my telemetry and whatever happened was very sudden. I was no more that 500 ft out at 190 ft up, gentle left turn to go home....I've done this route so many times I couldn't believe what was happening.

Sorry to read this ..... I hope you find it, and it's still returnable for a new one.

As you may have read in my posts, I have a sort of personal virtual sliding scale that moves to the right (and towards me getting back into owning a Phantom again) when I hear people getting many flights with no issues, as well as when more time passes with no reports of new bannings/restrictive laws, and then to the virtual-left (towards me just staying Phantomless for the time being) when I hear of a situation like yours. :(

Hopefully you won't get too beat up by the people here "that can't handle the truth", and some reasons as to what happened will come out of it.

Keep your flame suit on, and thanks for being honest and reporting what happened.

Thanks man and appreciate the support. As to the bashers....bring them on. I have a very good memory and can replay what happened without problem. As I said I have flown this route dozens of times with my P2V so I can visualize it very well. I must admit I was a bit of a skeptic about fly aways but have read a great deal about the issue and had some reservation today when the + was buggy on the prior flight. That's why I re calibrated the compass. My wife and I even talked about fly aways when we were walking the dogs this afternoon. I have kind of gone thru a sequence in my mind as what I would do if it happened to me. Switch to Atti, then fail safe , then shut transmitter off, then back on and shut motors off. I don't know what happened but I'm gonna find that thing if I have to search every square yard of 5000 plus acres.

Unfortunately, if you lose GPS lock, home lock/RTH won't work. Hopefully, you still have control, but no FPV and GPS-lock, can fly back in ATTI mode based on last position and heading. Hopefully, FPV returns when it gets closer and you have more options. If you lost control and FPV when GPS-lock(for whatever reason) is loss, I hope it's in visual range... Of course this is a moot point, but hopefully it helps in the future.

Can try auto-land setting instead of RTH in assistant, but that has its' own set of issues and providing you remember the general location from the last FPV if out of visual range.

I haven't experienced loss of GPS-lock with p2v or p2v+, yet, but I do notice varying times from seconds to over a minute to acquire lock. I've needed to forget my home WiFi when near my house or anyplace with saved hotspots. WiFi has it's own set of challenges. I manage our Campus Controller based WAP system. People should be carefull when flying in dense WiFi areas or understand the risks. If very dense WiFi, the question of liability flying in that area should be assessed. I read somewhere that p2v repeater default selects ch1, but haven't run a analyzer to verify, yet. On my "to-do" list.

Hope your friend's unit is found.

Flying Phantoms is like playing Russian Roulette......play it often enough and......game over! That sucks! However, I wouldn't fly if I got the bird back after going to 0 satellites!! That's a hardware problem in my book.

I am going to have to agree that once you had the first GPS failure it was time to ground it until that problem was sorted out. Secondly, I STRONGLY suggest Naza mode for both Home Lock feature and setting S1 to GPS/ATTI/Manual. Manual should always be available to you should odd behavior occur.

Someone reported that the ram connected to the H.264 encoder was emitting strong RF signals. It sounds like that could be interfering with the GPS. GPS sat count quickly dropping to zero, etc. I noticed today that Amazon has stopped selling the P2V+. That may be a sign of too many returns or a know problem.

andrewket2 said:
Someone reported that the ram connected to the H.264 encoder was emitting strong RF signals. It sounds like that could be interfering with the GPS. GPS sat count quickly dropping to zero, etc. I noticed today that Amazon has stopped selling the P2V+. That may be a sign of too many returns or a know problem.

I'm still seeing them available from Amazon. They are just out of stock direct from Amazon but listed for $1318.98

Re: DJI Phantom Vision + Flyaway problem and Crash

Doono said:
If you changed your 2.4GHZ connection to 5.8GHZ, you will have two 5.8GHZ connections. This will cause problems as the two signals will be using the same bandwidth. If you leave it as it is, you will have many enjoyable hours of flying.

Advice well taken. Thank you so much.

I didn't even bother calling DJI again and also I am not planning on calling B&H. I just have to figure out a way how to fix the camera and connect it back to the gimbal.

Doono: Any idea on how to fix or connect the camera back to the gimbal. Take a look at the pictures (www.fahadsworld.com/Drone.html ) I added new pictures to that page if you haven't seen them already.

Thanks dude..

Had 15 or more flights with my v+ and no odd gps behavior. I also use an gps tracker. Yesturday i flew 800meters distance at 100m altitude lost fpv. I didnt panick because i knew the orientation of my phantom and had an gps tracker. Just buy a gps tracker and you dont have to worry about failures.

What was the known GPS error in this case? I had 10 satellites and home point fixed just as I have had on every flight I have made with the +, P2V and the original Phantom. It was in Naza mode, I had a visual but at the moment it happened I was looking at the monitor. Since I fly mostly FPV at any distance (isn't that why we have this capability?) I tried to continue my turn to the left and tried to go up as it was approaching the woods so as to maintain Wi-Fi contact. As soon as it made the hiccup to the right just after I saw the props in the view I lost all signals. The camera was at about neutral i.e. pointing straight ahead.

Problem is , Everytime a fly away happens , some people don't lesson and assume its your fault no matter what. Yes some people are idiots and shouldn't be flying. Seeing a lot of competent pilots posting about this.
I wouldn't dismiss RF intereference as maybe one of the problems.

Thanks for all you input guys

So after it went to 0 satellites first time the main reason we took back off was to see if we could get sat lock again. If we couldn't we would be in atti-mode at close range so wouldn't have been a problem. So after flying around in atti-mode at about 50ft, my mate says "I have 7 satellites again" so he switched to GPS mode so he could concentrate on a bit of filming. After about 3 mins into GPS, the Phantom started to drift away. He then says "Dam zero satellites again." I said "Bring it back home must be a poor GPS location" (Even though a week ago I was in the same place with my PV2+) He tries to flip it into atti-mode to bring back home but it still drifted 300ft away. He handed the transmitter to me, first thing I did is give it throttle because it was only 100ft high at 300ft away so I thought I would have a better chance this didn't work! Then the WiFi connection brakes about 30 seconds later all visual was lost.

In your first post, you said that after you lost satellites you tried RTH. In this post, you say you switched to ATTI to try and bring it back? By saying it was "basically in ATTI mode," it implies you never switched to it.

At the very least, I would have rebooted the Phantom, powered off then on again.

Chamb0 FPV said:

So after it went to 0 satellites first time the main reason we took back off was to see if we could get sat lock again. If we couldn't we would be in atti-mode at close range so wouldn't have been a problem. So after flying around in atti-mode at about 50ft, my mate says "I have 7 satellites again" so he switched to GPS mode so he could concentrate on a bit of filming. After about 3 mins into GPS, the Phantom started to drift away. He then says "Dam zero satellites again." I said "Bring it back home must be a poor GPS location" (Even though a week ago I was in the same place with my PV2+) He tries to flip it into atti-mode to bring back home but it still drifted 300ft away. He handed the transmitter to me, first thing I did is give it throttle because it was only 100ft high at 300ft away so I thought I would have a better chance this didn't work! Then the WiFi connection brakes about 30 seconds later all visual was lost.

Chamb0 FPV said:
So after reading numorus amounts of posts regarding flyaways, I came to the conclusion that it was pilot error most of the time, people not reading instructions / watching Youtube tutorials and just taking to the sky's.

Today a friend of mine got a chance to fly his, received it couple of days ago and this was his 2nd flight with dji, he also owns a Blade 350qx so his had multi rotors before so his not a total nub.

This is how his doomed 2nd flight went down, waited few mins for gps lock,got 7 sats home point set so took off about 50ft high, all is well a little windy but she holds steady, all of a sudden it goes to 0 satellites so it starts to drift so he brings it back in for a landing quick, waits on ground for satalite lock again but won't go past 4, maybe because a few small trees around, so he takes off with 4 satalites to get above the tree line to get 7+ sats and gps lock, which is what happend. So now he is 100ft maybe more gps is working everything seems fine, then maybe 300ft away gps has gone 0 satalites so basically it's in atti mode and drifting with the wind, he activates RTH which does nothing wifi connection now broke so he can't see what way it's looking, now the strange thing is that it starts to drift but not with the wind, it's flying in to the wind on its own with 0 satalites and no gps flicks in to atti mode to try and rescue it but control has gone and has a mind of its own, I have had 100+ flights in the 3 weeks I have owned mine and I couldn't get control, 3 hours searching and a few Aireal flyovers with my pv2+ and still couldn't find it.

So I am now a firm believer in flyaways after witnessing this first hand

Re: DJI Phantom Vision + Flyaway problem and Crash

That looks pretty bad. I don't think you'll be able to put that back together, and there are no parts as yet. Have a look in the V+ forum and you'll see a few posts of similar damage. Maybe one of them has got more info regarding repair or replacement. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AIR BOSS said:
PILOT ERROR, flying a second time with known GPS errors. Dumb
With that logic it is easy to blame all flyaways to pilot error.......at least until YOUR PHANTOM flys away!

jalpert said:
In your first post, you said that after you lost satellites you tried RTH. In this post, you say you switched to ATTI to try and bring it back? By saying it was "basically in ATTI mode," it implies you never switched to it.

At the very least, I would have rebooted the Phantom, powered off then on again.

Chamb0 FPV said:

Chamb0 FPV said:
So after reading numorus amounts of posts regarding flyaways, I came to the conclusion that it was pilot error most of the time, people not reading instructions / watching Youtube tutorials and just taking to the sky's.

Today a friend of mine got a chance to fly his, received it couple of days ago and this was his 2nd flight with dji, he also owns a Blade 350qx so his had multi rotors before so his not a total nub.

This is how his doomed 2nd flight went down, waited few mins for gps lock,got 7 sats home point set so took off about 50ft high, all is well a little windy but she holds steady, all of a sudden it goes to 0 satellites so it starts to drift so he brings it back in for a landing quick, waits on ground for satalite lock again but won't go past 4, maybe because a few small trees around, so he takes off with 4 satalites to get above the tree line to get 7+ sats and gps lock, which is what happend. So now he is 100ft maybe more gps is working everything seems fine, then maybe 300ft away gps has gone 0 satalites so basically it's in atti mode and drifting with the wind, he activates RTH which does nothing wifi connection now broke so he can't see what way it's looking, now the strange thing is that it starts to drift but not with the wind, it's flying in to the wind on its own with 0 satalites and no gps flicks in to atti mode to try and rescue it but control has gone and has a mind of its own, I have had 100+ flights in the 3 weeks I have owned mine and I couldn't get control, 3 hours searching and a few Aireal flyovers with my pv2+ and still couldn't find it.

So I am now a firm believer in flyaways after witnessing this first hand

So after he tries RTH and nothing is happening he gives me transmitter, i then switch ATTi-mode to try and regain control, but for the 30 or so seconds i had to try and save it, it was clear to me i had know control over it

Another inexplicable fly away. 7 to 0 in a moment is a big red flag. Landing was the right thing to do. Taking off again expecting good sats even though 4 on the ground was a good assumption although I think I would have aborted the whole thing knowing what I know about the recent rash of flyaways. I would have tested home with HL or RTH as soon as I got 6 again. You trusted it would switch to atti or stay in atti with less than 6 which I would too. It is supposed to do that. But you were getting weird behavior. Any unusual behavior equals abort mission for me. No trust in firmware when something is amiss. Mission aborted. Move on.

If your Phantom flew away, would you be on the discussion boards ten minutes later writing about it, or would you be out looking for it?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4