DJI Phantom Low Skid Landing Gear 3D print

Reaction score
I have designed and 3D printed, a new set of landing gear for my DJI Phantom.

It’s skid Landing gear for easy landing and speed.

Scanned in the default legs and remodelled in the excellent SpaceClaim 2012+.

Printed on a UP! Plus 3D printer.

Files available free @ http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:169936

pic2_preview_featured.jpg

Ditto on the compass question!! There is info on this forum that the comnpass needs to be mounted precisely perpendicular and specifically oriented in order to work properly. Out of the box the compass is already mounted....not left to the newbie assembler....just plug in. With some non-perpendicular landing gear the builder specifically left enough of a stub of the original strut to keep the compass in correct orientation. For a reason.

Your design looks sexy....but won't accommodate a serious gimball and camera. You don't mention whether you have flown it yet. Please let us know where you put the compass and the results of your compass calibration and flight.

I give more detail on the build here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:169936

There is a leg design for the compass in the build, see picture.
pic3_preview_featured.jpg

The design is for a phantom without camera, I have a Zenmuse H3 2D GoPro Brushless Gimble on another Phantom.

Test flight & landings here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjErJctlSV8 flys fine, there is a little more movement in GPS mode, which could be related to the orientation of the compass or proximity to the motor. I may work on some longer legs to fix that and accommodate a fix mounted GoPro.

Update: I moved the compass around about 40 degrees on the leg2 mount, to it exactly matched the original alignment. Now in GPS mode the phantom is completely steady even in the strong wind this morning..

Superb job, really superb!

PF

That looks pretty cool, I think I may have a crack at some landing gear specific for a gimbal. Taller and wider should be able to do it up on Solidworks pretty quick and see if I can get some friends to print or machine them for me.

Main objectives will be low weight, taller, wider and maintain original compass location. Should have a bit of time over the weekend to try design something.

Stock landing gear is 42grams

Low Skid landing gear re-printed with less material is 28grams

Now working on Long version so a Gopro and Gimble can be used.

There is sexy....and then there is efficient. Your design is sexy...but not efficient. If the point of landing gear is to stop a landing and hold the bird up off the ground and get clearance for a gimbal and camera..AND be lightest possible weight....then there is really only one possible design. The shortest distance (i.e. least amount of material = least weight) between two points (bottom of Phantom and ground) is a straight line. That says.....straight stick legs will be lightest for whatever material used. And actually a tripod design would work and save 25% on weight. The current stock design of a flat bottom bar is quite wasteful weight-wise, unnecessary for purposes of holding up the bird, and VERY unstable when landing on uneven ground....which I do a lot. Bird often tips as I power down and can chip (or worse) a carbon fiber prop. It DOES provide some real sturdy protection in a cage-like fashion to the gimbal and camera which for a new flyer is probably it's justification.

SO I am looking for the straight stick legs...which will be lightest, but not sexy.

It also occurs to me that, given many have a gimbal with a controllable tilt servo function, there is the potential for RETRACTABLE (actually...folding) legs that would come up flat to the bottom using the servo tilt endpoint as the mechanism...i.e. moving to tilt-end-point-up (or down) would drop the legs. Now THAT would be sexy, get the legs out of the way of the camera to allow 3D servo use, and would improve aerodynamics. The downside is that the camera and gimbal would be hanging there naked and vulnerable.

Sexy....efficient.....sexy.....efficient.......Oh my!

Wand the ultimate in lightweight landing gear? Take it off! Just fly the Phantom back to yourself, hover, and pluck it out of the air! :lol:

I know people do this (seen in on YouTube) but I'm joking, of course...

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik