DJI PHANTOM 5 - Why This Drone Will Never Happen

IMHO, the only advantage of Phantom 4A/Pro if we compare with M2P, is the global/mechanical shutter. And it is important only with quite limited field of drone usage - a.e. mapping/3D modelling (because the drone travels a bit during the rolling exposition, and the precision suffers). For the wast majority of other usage cases, the benefits of global shutter aren’t that important.
I would like to disagree with stability concerns (M2 vs P4) - I’we flown with most of the drones DJI produces (because of my work specifics) from Mavic mini to Matrice and 600s series, and, from my experience, there’s no reason at all to say, that P4 is more stable than M2. Yes, it’s weights more, but it has more lateral aerodynamic drag due the bigger (taller) size of AC (M2 is much “flatter” shaped).
In order to benefit from bigger size/mass, the P5 should have bigger/heavier/more advanced camera. So, for today, the P4 series is more focused on enterprise usage (P4RTK and P4 Multispectral), and, for non-enterprise end users, there’s very little to hope in Phantom form factor. So, better to see the development of Mavic top range models (Inspire 3 will cover the upper end of photo/video needs).
But, ofc, time will tell us :)
The body of my P4P reacts is a much smoother way than my Mavic Air - specially when flying sideways. The size and weight makes the drone be less “nervous”, resulting in a smoother picture. The “Sports mode” of the little drone is useless - the drone moves quicker than the gimbal and there is often this losing of the straight horizon... I would never be able to do things like this with a small drone (I never flew a Mavic Pro, but I fear it is something between the Mavic Air and the Phantom):

Look into the Xdynamics Evolve 2 for a serious successor to the Phantom 4 pro. (but not the original Evolve though).
They have a video version coming out next month and are working on a 20+MP stills version but I haven't found any release data for that.
If it's as good as the advance material suggests, that's the direction I'm going.

Aurel Evo II sounds VERY promising too. DJI will need to come out with something really great to be able to compete.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl