DJI Neck Strap Issue

Thanks, It's a good video, and I've already watched it, but facts are facts. I now use one like I've seen DJI reps use in videos. Works great.

I understand you can't get the strap to adjust for your flying style.
Why not though, is beyond me, as the strap has complete adjustability for size, fit and comfort. So you are doing something wrong.
If you can't figure that out, sorry, I can't assist you more right now. Everyone else who had a problem, now have got enough info, how to climb into it. It's called a 'harness' for a reason. You wear it around the shoulders for ease of weight away from the upper cervical spine.
Mine will be here tomorrow. And if I need to send you a PM with personalized instructions I will. ;-)
So don't lose faith, help is but a hobby-shop pick-up away. Ha

RedHotPoker

Ok, well I got the let down. As somebody at the warehouse in Mississauga forgot or failed to place my Inspire 1 strap, in the shipping order last week. So Today, I am going on a mission, a nice freeway SpYder rYde to West Edmonton Mall, and visit friend Ron at his www.droneology.com store.
When I return, it will be "Inspire 1 Harness Lesson 101".
Have your RC and I1 harness ready to adjust and fit...
Grinning like a rake... Chuckles

Giddy to go, Getty Up!!

RedHotPoker

I recently bought this neck strap...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZZPYIVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is it hangs to low. Should the neck strap support the weight of the remote while flying or just be there to catch the remote if you drop it?

Thanks!
I have the same strap. I am 5' 9" and I have the straps adjusted so the remote hangs right at the top edge of my belt. I also replaced the tablet mount with a metal one that has a second hole farther up. The remote balances nicely and hand launching is much easier.

So the answer is your straps are adjustable. I must admit, when I first got that strap I wished there were instructions with it. However, there are now instructions and videos on the web. The only time the weight is not on the strap is when there is a problem with the connection and I move the remote up and down. Sometimes I have to hold it up a bit.

Which device are you wearing? I found with mine, right off the bat, that with my device attached, I must tilt the iPad Air 2 back towards me, to keep it more or less well balanced.
So here's my effort in attempting to assist others in getting the harness strap to fit correctly, no matter how tall, short, skinny or stout that You might be. First I would disconnect the lower section, you won't need that part right now. If you followed the guide video, you already know how to climb into the top piece, the actual harness section. Put that on now. There are two adjustment tabs on the straps, above the D-buckles where you attach the lower section.
Start by pulling these tabs both down, all the way, until it reaches the D-buckles on both sides. If you want to shorten this section, grab the D-buckle (one side at a time) with one hand and slide the tab back up the strap. If the strap binds a bit, just grasp it from behind and help slide it through the tab, as you feed more strap down, you are shortening the top section. Do both sides to your comfort liking. When you eventually clip the lower second on, the part that actually holds the RC, you can do the same with them straps. Pull them out full length, then adjust shorter to your likening. As stated previously I too have my radio set to just above my waist. That gives me plenty of maneuverability and a high comfort level. ;-)

I can hold my RC higher up, or lower down. what ever I need, to maintain correct antenna orientation.
Yes this Strap is comfortable, lnfact I wore it home from a friends.
I went over to show off this new harness system, and my new Lume Cube LED's too... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Thanks, It's a good video, and I've already watched it, but facts are facts. I now use one like I've seen DJI reps use in videos. Works great.
I hope that you will take a moment to examine your misuse of this awesome design, and correct it's ultimate wearing length to your comfort approval & hopefully utter amazement... Haha

It's a well thought out creation, that works great when fitted to your frame. ;-)
It can be made to conform if you listen to my thoughts and learn from experience.
Had actual Ownership, for less than one day. Haha

I put mine on once, adjusted the four strap sections and off to the races...
You may have to adjust the rear rubber emblem down or up the shoulder straps, to get to your personal liking.

RedHotPoker

Hahaha, oh no, not you too!! When ever you weathered pilots buy something RC related, why not investigate the item first? Be aware of the concept, how it works, & why the heck you bought it in the first pace. hahaha
The more of you guys who profess to finally figuring this Inspire 1 harness out, it brings myself all the more, cheer. Hehe

I just got one myself, and haven't a clue on how to use it... BUT... I won it at a DJI event last weekend. So I didn't buy mine, but would still like to know how to use it properly. And I do understand the OP's original question...

Watch the video? Yours may be defective, but if you send it to me to test and relate the info back, we can know for sure... ;-)

Yea, these straps are a bit of a hassle to understand, but once you wear it correctly, you will then realze how awesome they are.

RedHotPoker

Watch the video? Yours may be defective, but if you send it to me to test and relate the info back, we can know for sure... ;-)

Yea, these straps are a bit of a hassle to understand, but once you wear it correctly, you will then realze how awesome they are.

RedHotPoker

Gonna have to check out the harness, thank to you... ;)

Don't thank me bro, tell them appreciative comments to @dji. ;-)
I am only trying to help get you guys climb onboard with this strap. It is mildly complicated to a point, especially if you have no guidance, instructions or someone with previous experience.
If my suggestions aren't helpful, or perhaps I haven't explained the procedure clearly or concisely enough, please do let me know. I will continue to contribute toward the happiness of anyone here who will read, understand and follow simplified directions.

RedHotPoker

I never saw the usefulness of a harness rig you have to climb into just to have the remote still dangle unbalanced. And when you deal with summer shirts and then winter coats, adjusting can be tedious especially in the transitional seasons where you wear different weight coats accordingly. Heck, I often wear a light coat in the nightime summer heat just to avoid being eaten alive by mosquitos. Too much adjusting. Practically speaking, you need to put a strap over your neck and fly, not fiddle with a harness as part of a routine. There's enough preflight routine with these birds.

However, this one caught my eye because I don't like the rc dangling unbalanced on the end of a hook.

Zero Gravity Remote Controller Harness System for DJI Phantom 1/2/3 and Inspire 1 Remote Controller

My only concern is that I absolutely prefer my rc with ipad air2 to sit higher on my torso. I cannot fly with my rc low slung at my waist. How anyone can look that far down and fly the sticks that far down is beyond me, not to mention looking up and down and the neck strain of that. My remote on my strap lands on my upper stomach so it puts my ipad nicely in my face without looking at the ground and the sticks at a comfortable position. The zero gravity doesn't look like it accommodates high position. Also it doesn't look to unclip from the harness. I would prefer the rc sleeve stay on the remote full time and easily clip on to the harness. Anyone have the zero gravity for further details about it?

OMG, people! This is one of the most funny, over-discussed, and overanalyzed threads I've ever read. The OP's question was clear (to me), although I'm not sure why it was asked. I use it to support the RC when it's in use, when not in use, it allows the RC to hang so I don't drop it or have to set it down. In other words, the answer is "either or both". Incidentally, ALL the answers are wrong anyway. The purpose of the strap is to use the weight of the RC to apply pressure to the back of the user's neck, pulling it forward and allowing increased blood flow to the brain to keep the pilot alert.

I never saw the usefulness of a harness rig you have to climb into just to have the remote still dangle unbalanced. And when you deal with summer shirts and then winter coats, adjusting can be tedious especially in the transitional seasons where you wear different weight coats accordingly. Heck, I often wear a light coat in the nightime summer heat just to avoid being eaten alive by mosquitos. Too much adjusting. Practically speaking, you need to put a strap over your neck and fly, not fiddle with a harness as part of a routine. There's enough preflight routine with these birds.

However, this one caught my eye because I don't like the rc dangling unbalanced on the end of a hook.

Zero Gravity Remote Controller Harness System for DJI Phantom 1/2/3 and Inspire 1 Remote Controller

My only concern is that I absolutely prefer my rc with ipad air2 to sit higher on my torso. I cannot fly with my rc low slung at my waist. How anyone can look that far down and fly the sticks that far down is beyond me, not to mention looking up and down and the neck strain of that. My remote on my strap lands on my upper stomach so it puts my ipad nicely in my face without looking at the ground and the sticks at a comfortable position. The zero gravity doesn't look like it accommodates high position. Also it doesn't look to unclip from the harness. I would prefer the rc sleeve stay on the remote full time and easily clip on to the harness. Anyone have the zero gravity for further details about it?
I have it, but prefer a tray instead. The problem for me is that it conceals the RC LED which lets you determine lost connection. I don't like having to pull it out of the holder and away from my body to check the LED when I lose FPV. Also, the aluminum holder just isn't secure enough to support the RC properly like a tray does. It also hangs much lower than I would like it to, with no way I can discern to shorten it further. Get a tray instead. You'll be much happier in the long run.

I have it, but prefer a tray instead. The problem for me is that it conceals the RC LED which lets you determine lost connection. I don't like having to pull it out of the holder and away from my body to check the LED when I lose FPV. Also, the aluminum holder just isn't secure enough to support the RC properly like a tray does. It also hangs much lower than I would like it to, with no way I can discern to shorten it further. Get a tray instead. You'll be much happier in the long run.
Thanks a bunch for that. Appreciate it.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Forever young..

Once I had my neck strap adjusted, which took all of 3 1/2 short minutes, it was at my perfect length to fly, in a very comfortable position, if the RC hangs loose, & never a strain on my neck. All in all, an awesome combination of security, comfort and style. Several other pilots at ERCHA fly with this harness style of support and we couldn't be any happier.

The fact that it has four straps to adjust ultimate length makes it convenient to size just right. A perfect fit is only a couple of strap tabs pull or push, away. Hahaha

Make mine a double. ;-)

Time to pack up the flight kit, and head over to a convenient park, to play RC pilot.

Alert ain't the word, my boy, the term is aggressively-eager.

RedHotPoker

Forever young..

Once I had my neck strap adjusted, which took all of 3 1/2 short minutes, it was at my perfect length to fly, in a very comfortable position, if the RC hangs loose, & never a strain on my neck. All in all, an awesome combination of security, comfort and style. Several other pilots at ERCHA fly with this harness style of support and we couldn't be any happier.

The fact that it has four straps to adjust ultimate length makes it convenient to size just right. A perfect fit is only a couple of strap tabs pull or push, away. Hahaha

Make mine a double. ;-)

Time to pack up the flight kit, and head over to a convenient park, to play RC pilot.

Alert ain't the word, my boy, the term is aggressively-eager.

RedHotPoker
Which harness style neck strap are you using? The Zero Gravity one, or a different one? I have, instead, been using a harness style tray, and it is, indeed, very comfortable, and its support from underneath keeps the transmitter from separating at the screws, due to to the extra weight of the booster amps and their battery, taped securely to the bottom of the transmitter, pulling away from the neck strap connector on the top, when otherwise suspended without the tray, when you need both hands to attach and detach the external battery connectors.

I bought the Inspire 1 neck strap and like this design a lot. This is a style which completely removes any weight from my RC away from the upper spine, transferring it to my shoulders and around my chest, in a most comfortable and securely held fashion. But it has to be adjusted so. There are two rubber emblems on this. And depending where you wear the larger rear one, the difference will be where the weight is mostly distributed.
With the patch higher up, the weight is raised towards the upper back/lower neck. Sliding this rubber strap separator lower down, transfers the majority of weight to shoulders mid back and chest.
A tray would be awesome too, but too much trouble to stash and carry, as my @dji hardshell backpack is already full. So too, as well, is my SpYder RS-S "frunk". I be "Rollin' dirty" ;-)
I can appreciate & respect any style others desire and prefer to dangle the Tx from...
Heck, A Wayne Gretzky hockey lace. . . Hahaha

RedHotPoker

I bought the Inspire 1 neck strap and like this design a lot. This is a style which completely removes any weight from my RC away from the upper spine, transferring it to my shoulders and around my chest, in a most comfortable and securely held fashion. But it has to be adjusted so. There are two rubber emblems on this. And depending where you wear the larger rear one, the difference will be where the weight is mostly distributed.
With the patch higher up, the weight is raised towards the upper back/lower neck. Sliding this rubber strap separator lower down, transfers the majority of weight to shoulders mid back and chest.
A tray would be awesome too, but too much trouble to stash and carry, as my @dji hardshell backpack is already full. So too, as well, is my SpYder RS-S "frunk". I be "Rollin' dirty" ;-)
I can appreciate & respect any style others desire and prefer to dangle the Tx from...
Heck, A Wayne Gretzky hockey lace. . . Hahaha

RedHotPoker
Thanks for the tips! I have that one already coming from B&H, so now I'll know how to set it up properly when it arrives! :cool:

There's too many compromises with all of them so I stick to a simple strap. And to be honest, often enough I don't even truly take advantage of the simple strap. Like a nervous driver with a death grip on a steering wheel, I often times find myself holding the rc higher and the strap has slack. I try to be mindful of it, relax, and let the strap do the work its supposed to. What I find is even more important and helpful for me is not the strap, but full body comfort. Sitting is the ultimate. That truly makes me fly more at ease. Short of that, I like to lean on something whenever possible, often that being my car. I have a tripod tray that's nice but not always practical so I rarely use it. Sitting for me is the ultimate. I still wear my strap though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik