Dji mini drone

Reaction score
Hi everyone, not been on this forum for years. Was going to purchase the just released phantom 4 back then. This was going to be my first drone, but was a bit put of by quite a lot of people who purchase the drone complaining about stress cracks on the arms.
Anyhow with newer and smaller dji drones comeing out now and more advanced I thinking of buying the dji mini drone?
I just wanted some advice on would this mini drone be ok for a newbie for just taking photos and videos, I like to hear from mini drone owners, is this a good drone,easy to fly?
Thinking of getting next month for my birthday, live in the U.K....
Thank you for your support...

Hi everyone, not been on this forum for years. Was going to purchase the just released phantom 4 back then. This was going to be my first drone, but was a bit put of by quite a lot of people who purchase the drone complaining about stress cracks on the arms.
Anyhow with newer and smaller dji drones comeing out now and more advanced I thinking of buying the dji mini drone?
I just wanted some advice on would this mini drone be ok for a newbie for just taking photos and videos, I like to hear from mini drone owners, is this a good drone,easy to fly?
Thinking of getting next month for my birthday, live in the U.K....
Thank you for your support...

The Mavic Mini does not handle strong wind well as it's a bit under powered due to it's size and weight

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the advice, what would recommend for a newbie, just for enjoyment, odd photos and videos on holiday's? Thank..

The Mini would be ok for that as long as you knew it’s limitations.
Also being the Mini is under the weight limit you don’t have to register it.
Stepping up the Air 2 would be better. Depends on what you want to spend.

Reactions: Troyboy
Thank you dirkclod for your advice, i am torn between the two you mentioned. I think i will go for the mini, just want it for fun flying, and photos and videos of holiday's in the uk. Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
For what you intend to use it the Mini is just right choice.
After you'll get some skills then you can buy a bigger one.

Thanks andy9 for advice. I no the mini sounds fine for my intended use, just thinking is it worth paying a bit extra and get the air 2???

If you plan to fly more than you said which after you get a taste of flying i'm sure you will i would say yes. This is very addictive hobby.

I have the Transport Canada Advanced RPAS and can fly pretty well anywhere with a NAV Canada RPAS Flight Authorization permit. I bought the mini for indoor work and to to eliminate paying 250$ CAD a day for someone to operate the high angle camera jib. The mini works very well indoors because it has just downward looking sensors and with the cage, collisions are not destructive. Having flown through four batteries several times my observations are it is useless if the wind speed is more than 10 kph. It is hopeless in low light (but we use supplementary lighting for video shoots).. Very flimsy but quiet. Given a single TB55 battery for my Matrice 210 RTK is 550$ CAD, the 700$ I paid for the Mini fly more kit and an extra battery was a bargain. The other good thing about it is you do not need a pilot license to fly it, even in Class C airspace. If you are looking for a starter drone, get the mini fly more kit.

Thank you everyone for your advice, i appreciate your knowledge of these drones.
I have to have a good think to which one i choose? Either way everyone says dji drones are great for newbies like me.
Thanks [emoji4]

Reactions: dirkclod
Thank you everyone for your advice, i appreciate your knowledge of these drones.
I have to have a good think to which one i choose? Either way everyone says dji drones are great for newbies like me.
Thanks [emoji4]
go for the mini and avoid the Part 107 exam! If in Canada, avoid the Advanced RPAS exam, it is brutal.

Live in the uk( Yorkshire) getting drone next month for birthday, seen a lot of YouTube videos of the mini in action, and looks fairly easy and quick to get it up in the air and flying. The dji fly app looks great to for the mini. in the uk we do get windy days (hot at the moment) so obviously won't be flying then, but some mini owners say it handles well in the wind for size,and some say bad in wind? And in some YouTube videos it looks quite stable in light winds...

Could anyone tell me me the comparison between the mini and air 2 in flying distances(miles) in the uk?
I heard the us version of mini had a greater distance than the uk version?
Is this true? Thanks..

Air2 is more resistant to the wind and havier of course. The flight distance is variable depends on the environment circumstances and on the way you fly (high ascends and accelerations).. My Air (the version 2 is not very different about this) stays in the air usually around 16 to 19 minutes with at least 20% of battery left at touch down.

Thanks for advice, so the air 2 is better handling in wind rather than mini?
Split between these two now[emoji848]
Don't want to get mini, and then afterwards realise should have got air 2 first? Don't mind paying the extra money if i am going to be keeping it for a long time...
But don't i have to register the drone? Or do I have to take a test?(uk)...

The biggest advantage of Mini is, that you can fly almost everywhere because all law regulations and limitations begin at weight 250 g and above. I have Phantom 4P and Mavic Air but now I'm thinking about buying Mini for some special occations where Mavic Air and Phantom could not fly.

Thanks andy9 for information, have to have good think on these 2 drones, was going to purchase one next month, but might wait until Christmas, and see if any price reductions on them both, or black Friday deals? Thanks [emoji106]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.