DJI Mavic Mini Released!

This “toy” will get kids interested and grow the hobby for the future. Smart move by DJI!

NO, it's a very bad move. You think kids are going to fly responsibly and safely? The public will not tell these drone 'operators' from us or other adult and proper flyers. It will devastate the public's perception of drones and cause further regulations against us. BAD move.

Reactions: MTO
NO, it's a very bad move. You think kids are going to fly responsibly and safely? The public will not tell these drone 'operators' from us or other adult and proper flyers. It will devastate the public's perception of drones and cause further regulations against us. BAD move.

I tend to agree. Drone bans are already rampant, stoked by unrealistic fears of drones invading peoples privacy, scaring off wildlife or downing other aircraft.

Spamming the market with smaller, hard to track, easy to hide, little cameras that will inevitably be used in places that common sense would limit a full size drone will just aggravate the issue. Bring into the equation operators that use these as toys, and you will get YouTube “spy” videos of someone’s GF/BF, house or private property, or the stupid stunt that causes an accident, etc. and we get more bans and exclusion zones.

Must say, I'm kinda disappointed in the MM. I was hoping it would be a compelling upgrade to my Spark. The 3 axis gimbal, 2.7k video, and long battery life are all compelling upgrades from a Spark which the MM basically replaces. However, the dumbed down software, camera functions and remote basically negates any of these upgrades.

I do think DJI will sell a ton of these though, as it will appeal to people looking for a sub 250g drone that doesn't have to be registered, people who are travelling (non Canadians can actually fly this drone in Canada on their vacation without having to get SFOC), and someone just looking to have a drone with them at all times for that "The best camera is the one you have with you" idea.

For me, the only way I would buy the MM is if I lost or destroyed my Spark (which still has Care+ for two more months) or my P3S.

Chris

Hello,
See here, presentation and first flight results, but unfortunately only in German. So only for those interested.
(Kopter concept)
(Kopter first Test and fly)
(Kopter second Test in fly)

I have no connection with DJI. But I do wonder, if like us, DJI just isn't getting fed-up with all the laws and restrictions constantly being placed on their products. Then, multiply that by 300+ countries. So they introduced a mini "toy" drone that circumvents the registration requirements in many countries, it's small size harder to see for someone to bellyache to the authorities when in flight, and if it crashes in an urban setting, minimal chance of serious damage or injury. Not my cup of tea, but it may be to thousands. We'll see.

The (bad) impression is that the DJI is abandoning the professional target (except for high-end products like P4 RTK) and is embracing the mass target.

A "mini" product like this comes from offering a harmless toy that can be flown anywhere, without too many restrictions and with ease.

Unless you absolutely need 4K, it is far more than a toy. For traveling, and flying in places where there are people who may be scared by a full size drone it will be wonderful.

Additionally, it is possible that geofencing is not demanded due to it’s low weight. The controller software is brand new. I am waiting for someone to report on that. It may be also possible that flights over people and vehicles may not be restricted. VLOS?

Flying over people / animals etc. is restricted anyway ...

I am seeing the prices of $399 and $499. Yet on one of the videos it says they are $349 and $449. Does anyone know where you can get it at the cheaper price?

I seen in the specs it’s 16-18 minutes
Just watched a review and they do get 30 minutes. It was also incredible in the crash test. He tried over and over to break it and couldn’t until they flew it into a tree in sport mode. Tough little guy.
Still trying to see if it’s available for less than the $399 quoted. The sale price must’ve been for earlier preorder.

I am seeing the prices of $399 and $499. Yet on one of the videos it says they are $349 and $449. Does anyone know where you can get it at the cheaper price?
In Canada and other countries where there are no China tariffs from Trump.

Reactions: Capt KO
In Canada and other countries where there are no China tariffs from Trump.
This is right from DJI. In Canadian dollars that's $580.
Screenshot_20191101-174537_Chrome.jpg

I carry my P4P in my truck all of the time but occasionally, I end up in a place that I wished I had my it. I do carry my camera bag which the new mini would fit in quite nicely and give me that extra camera angle I was looking for. The new mini is the same resolution as my original Canon 10D and that camera worked well for me. This is a tempting buy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub