DJI has abandoned professionals

Your average drone operator probably has zero knowledge of airspace. So a system that warns them of dangers is generally a really good idea. So it's really disappointing that GEO has been designed and implemented so poorly.

Here's what can be done to make GEO work:
  • Make it a warning system only. DJI are not the cops.
  • Allow credentialed professionals a "one and done" authorization.
  • Do NOT put up check boxes that block the screen mid-flight. That's like asking people to send a text while they're driving to confirm that they're driving safely.
  • Allow people to review all warnings in a given area BEFORE flight.
  • Fix all the bazillions of airspace errors. An airport that was closed 20 years ago should not have a warning zone around it.
  • Fix the bugs! Make it consistent and reliable. Implement change control, QA and fault tolerant architectures and provide SLA targets for the service.
  • Do NOT require a junior employee in China to sign off on my flight in a restricted area. They have about as much chance understanding the local and federal requirements as my dog does.
  • Disclose all data that is routinely sent back to DJI servers.
  • Give users the the option to be fully disconnected from DJI's servers without having to kill the internet connection.

Reactions: Shammyh and tevek
Your average drone operator probably has zero knowledge of airspace. So a system that warns them of dangers is generally a really good idea. So it's really disappointing that GEO has been designed and implemented so poorly.

• Do NOT put up check boxes that block the screen mid-flight. That's like asking people to send a text while they're driving to confirm that they're driving safely.
  • Fix all the bazillions of airspace errors. An airport that was closed 20 years ago should not have a warning zone around it.
  • Fix the bugs! Make it consistent and reliable. Implement change control, QA and fault tolerant architectures and provide SLA targets for the service.
  • Do NOT require a junior employee in China to sign off on my flight in a restricted area. They have about as much chance understanding the local and federal requirements as my dog does.
  • Give users the the option to be fully disconnected from DJI's servers without having to kill the internet connection.
And that would be one of the most reasoned posts that I have seen in a long time. Given that commercial interests trump anything based on logic, you may be a voice in the wilderness, certainly valid but overwhelmed by the 'machine'. Is there such thing as a representative voice for the uav industry? A union?

Reactions: ianwood

How about setting up an online petition and getting as many DJI owners to sign it as possible. Then bring it to the attention of DJI.

According to the CASA app I live in a danger zone due to an unregulated aerodrome nearby but had no idea where it was.
After some research on Google maps I found that it is actually an overgrown sand track through the bush about 500m from my house.
I had assumed that it was just a track to service the couple of power poles in there.
I wonder how that would work out had I updated?

According to the CASA app I live in a danger zone due to an unregulated aerodrome nearby but had no idea where it was.
After some research on Google maps I found that it is actually an overgrown sand track through the bush about 500m from my house.
I had assumed that it was just a track to service the couple of power poles in there.
I wonder how that would work out had I updated?
I had a similar experience with the app telling me there is an dirt airstrip nearby, turns out it was abandoned after the war and may or may not be deleted in future app updates. The updated DJI app and FW doesn't indicate the area as a NFZ or otherwise so I can fly normally.

I had a similar experience with the app telling me there is an dirt airstrip nearby, turns out it was abandoned after the war and may or may not be deleted in future app updates. The updated DJI app and FW doesn't indicate the area as a NFZ or otherwise so I can fly normally.

I ended up using the feedback option to inform them.
I also discovered that if you go to the top left menu there is also a flight record option that shows when and where I've flown.
I'd love to know how it gets this info when it's not connected to the drone in any way..

I ended up using the feedback option to inform them.
I also discovered that if you go to the top left menu there is also a flight record option that shows when and where I've flown.
I'd love to know how it gets this info when it's not connected to the drone in any way..
Do you mean the flight record log tab? If so, it's a shortcut to the same flight record as the icon on the first screen in the app. It stores all your flight info and can be viewed later as a standalone record.
I rang the council regarding the old airstrip and they were not interested. CASA gets it info from a third party and they need to update periodically for the app updates to reflect current status.

Do you mean the flight record log tab? If so, it's a shortcut to the same flight record as the icon on the first screen in the app. It stores all your flight info and can be viewed later as a standalone record.
I rang the council regarding the old airstrip and they were not interested. CASA gets it info from a third party and they need to update periodically for the app updates to reflect current status.

Thanks for that.
I thought they were spying on me.

Thanks for that.
I thought they were spying on me.
The only time they get a copy of your records is if you hit the sync button on the top of the flight page, it goes to their server. Also if you throw it into a fence, and wish to claim warranty for whatever reason, DJI will pull the data from the .txt file on your drone and know what you've been up to......

The only time they get a copy of your records is if you hit the sync button on the top of the flight page, it goes to their server. Also if you throw it into a fence, and wish to claim warranty for whatever reason, DJI will pull the data from the .txt file on your drone and know what you've been up to......
I meant the CASA app
I never connect my tablet to the net so DJI get nothing.

I meant the CASA app
I never connect my tablet to the net so DJI get nothing.
Apologies, the CASA app is purely for reference and a bit wonky at the moment. I sync my flights through the app to look at my data but I'm usually playing by the rules. Interestingly Litchi emailed me following a problem I had earlier and they advised I switched my device to airplane mode as my data was being being uploaded to DJI as part of the SDK relationship.....
Thank god DJI don't monitor me on my superbike....

I don't have a problem with this. Seems to me DJI is attempting to assure that it's drones are used properly.
Only way they can do this is through their DJI go app.
There are other apps you can use that don't impose the limits DJI does and will let you fly when the Go app won't.

Apologies, the CASA app is purely for reference and a bit wonky at the moment. I sync my flights through the app to look at my data but I'm usually playing by the rules. Interestingly Litchi emailed me following a problem I had earlier and they advised I switched my device to airplane mode as my data was being being uploaded to DJI as part of the SDK relationship.....
Thank god DJI don't monitor me on my superbike....

Ditto on the bike !!

And what if you can't get an Internet connection every time you try to take off somewhere at some time and need the latest update of the database to ease some TFR or NFZ update? Bricked.

Laws change in Mongolia, how quick will DJI be on it? But your filming project for National Geographic is now screwed. President was going to be somewhere but changed plans and the TFR is lifted, how quick will DJI respond? Meanwhile, you got a brick with flashing lights instead of doing your commercial mapping gig or real estate fly over.

DJI should focus on building and keeping safely flying some of the best drones out there. They should improve their firmware upgrade process and fix the **** tilted horizon problem instead of introducing more ways to ground people's aircraft!

I'm sensing some discontent here from Mr Black and who could blame him. Many of us are relying on these ever complicated and over regulated devices to earn our living.
And as a recreational pilot, I don't recall messages flashing across my comms panel advising me that my aircraft will now be forced to land because I've strayed too close to controlled airspace! That's the pilots job to develop the skills and situational awareness to keep aircraft, life and limb safe. How many aircraft would Cessna sell if they adopted the same "Big Brother" approach to the use if their aircraft?
The reality is DJI is unlikely to heed the voices of discontent unless accompanied by a decline in revenue.
So allow me to continue the trend that I'm sure has already begun. My dollars will definitely not be going DJI's way until the Geo farce is sorted. I have a 12 month old phantom 4, which despite daily cajoling, has never had a firmware update and is never likely to. I'm ready to upgrade and had decided on an inspire 2. Consider my order cancelled DJI. I'll reconsider once this debacle is sorted and DJI start putting their client base first and produce equipment that will reliably do what it is advertised to do.

I'm sensing some discontent here from Mr Black and who could blame him. Many of us are relying on these ever complicated and over regulated devices to earn our living.
And as a recreational pilot, I don't recall messages flashing across my comms panel advising me that my aircraft will now be forced to land because I've strayed too close to controlled airspace! That's the pilots job to develop the skills and situational awareness to keep aircraft, life and limb safe. How many aircraft would Cessna sell if they adopted the same "Big Brother" approach to the use if their aircraft?
The reality is DJI is unlikely to heed the voices of discontent unless accompanied by a decline in revenue.
So allow me to continue the trend that I'm sure has already begun. My dollars will definitely not be going DJI's way until the Geo farce is sorted. I have a 12 month old phantom 4, which despite daily cajoling, has never had a firmware update and is never likely to. I'm ready to upgrade and had decided on an inspire 2. Consider my order cancelled DJI. I'll reconsider once this debacle is sorted and DJI start putting their client base first and produce equipment that will reliably do what it is advertised to do.

I'm with you.
I was looking at a P4P but will instead fly my 2 P3Ps and look at what's around when they expire.
Ditto on the upgrades.
My neighbour just bought a P4P and I told him that if it flies OK out of the box don't upgrade.
He ignored my advice and is having all sorts of probs.

Reactions: AyeYo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.