DJI Go on mobile device without cellular

Reaction score
I have an iPad Mini to use with my P3S, and I also have a Galaxy S7 Edge. The larger screen of the iPad makes it a much better tool to use, but it is not a cellular device. Being that P3S controller used Wifi to connect with DJI Go/mobile device, I cannot use the mobile hotspot in my phone to provide cellular service to the iPad. I would assume I need cellular to use the map within the app, but GPS should still work based on the location of the drone (or maybe I am off). Is there a real need for cellular? I am not willing to pickup more monthly charges to add a new device with larger screen that has cellular service.

Cellular is most useful for downloading the DJI GO maps in real-time (if you need to see them). If using a cellular Apple mobile device (the service does not have to be active), you'll also have a GPS receiver in the mobile device. That means you'll also be able to use Follow Me or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off (again, if you need those features). All other GPS related features use the GPS receiver in the Phantom.

If you use the setup you have right now, you could cache the maps in DJI GO before you head out to fly.

You said if using a Apple cellular device. I am using a Apple device that does not have cellular.

You got it. I was just explaining which features you'd gain with a cellular device.

Sorry, but that just confused me more. What I want to know is what does not work with a non cellular device. If I cannot use the map, follow me, and more importantly accurate return to home, than the P3S is not a great option for me even at its lower price. I'd rather sell it and get a P3P which would permit me to use mobile hotspot rather than add recurring monthly fees that are not necessary. I'd end up with a better bird and a less expensive option over time.

Reactions: sparky1111
I listed the 3 main features you gain by using a cellular device above. Since you do not have a cellular device, you cannot use those 3 features.

Return to Home (RTH) uses the GPS data from the Phantom's GPS receiver. It works even if your mobile device is shut down and/or disconnected from the remote controller.

I also use a WiFi-only iPad mini.
Here is how I over come the Apple map problem. Before you connect the mini to the Phantom WiFi, connect to the hotspot on the iPhone first, open the DJI Go app, and open the camera. Now the app will cache the map of your current location. Now connect to the Phantom WiFi, and take off, the app will remember the cached map.
RTH is based on the GPS coordinate from the bird, so you are fine. The only function that won't work is follow-me, as WiFi-based location service on the mini is not very accurate.

Just to clarify, while in the iPad world the GPS is only available on cellular models, this is not true on Android tablets. My Samsung Galaxy Tab A, just as an example, does not have cellular, but it does have GPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik