DJI Go crashes everytime

Reaction score
Since upgrading to DJI Go I can not get the app to run for more than one flight. It runs fine for the first flight. After I land the app crashes and will not restart. Even an uninstall / reinstall does not fix it. If I delete all traces of the app manually and then reinstall it will work again... for one flight.

I thought maybe it was because I had Litchi Alpha installed on the same table so yesterday I restored the tablet back to the factory settings and only installed was the DJI Go. This morning the same problem happened again.

I have an Acer Iconia 8 Tab.

DJI Pilot worked just fine. Where can I get the old Pilot app? Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

It has nothing to do with the Litchi app and your tablet. It is the android version of the Go App, very common bug came across all the android user. Hopefully DJI can fix it asap, I do enjoy flying with my 8" andorid tablet more than my iPhone 6 in terms of screen size.

Reactions: Bag1
It has nothing to do with the Litchi app and your tablet. It is the android version of the Go App, very common bug came across all the android user. Hopefully DJI can fix it asap, I do enjoy flying with my 8" andorid tablet more than my iPhone 6 in terms of screen size.
so would you suggest uploading the latest android go app from DJI?
thx D

so would you suggest uploading the latest android go app from DJI?
thx D
I found an old version of Pilot 1.2.0 and installed it. I'll have to wait to test it to make sure it works. Hopefully I can get full functionality of my P3P again.

Note to self. NEVER upgrade as soon as a new version is released when what I had works fine.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
So... heres a few ideas... Never use a budget device for piloting an expensive drone. :)

For example - I was shooting some commercial not long ago with p3p and a friend of mine (director) said "Hey your phone is so small use my tablet instead.." But it was a cheap one or a "budget" one. The DJI App didnt even start.

When you use a high end device such as samsung s4/s5/s6, xiaomi mi4 or any highend tablet it will run like a charm. Simply because such a devices have alot more RAM and CPU power and especially because their built in stock Android OS is solid and stable!!! Cheaper ones dont have that... Their Androids are usually bad and filled with bugs... Iam not saying Acer Iconia is such a device I am just trying to point the difference here. :)

Theres another way (other than spending 1000 bucks for a phone) though - use something with extreme price - performance ratio. I consider myself to be an advanced user with Android, believe it or not :) so I would say that Xiaomi is doing a great job with their devices. In fact - for me - its a No. 1 at the moment... I never used any of their tablets but I was using quite a few of their phones. Trust me - theres nothing better as far as price - performance goes. Performance is just great, material is solid and price is as low as it can be. And their Android is a MiUI which is currently (its official!) the best android out there, Other than Xiaomi I would consider Lenovo... Not as good bud still good enough :)

But if you already have an Acer and you want to use it:

1) if the app crashes it probably means theres a problem with dependencies in your android and that the system is, put simply - in a bad shape. First thing - do the factory reset. Its gonna use a recovery to rebuild the whole system to its original state (and yeah it wipes everything so be carefull with that move).

2) do not use your tablet for other things like some stupid games or skype or anything like that... Remember - Android is loading almost every app it contains in its RAM memory when it starts. It means - more apps = less ram for DJI App. And never EVER let your wife / girlfriend or kids play with your P3 controlling tablet / device. :D They WILL mess it up thats for sure!!!! ;-)

3) Whether the point 2 applies or not - you should always do a few things before you launch your P3. First - go for Airplane mode - it cuts all your tablets networks (with a budget tablet you dont want an incoming whatsapp messages or emails during a flight trust me ;-) ) If you wanna use map in DJI GO or Pilot - you can preload the map and THEN launch Airplane mode - the map will stay preloaded. Second - reboot your device - it keeps the preloaded apps and the whole system as clean as possible. And it will already start with airplane mode ON.

4) if everything else fails I would consider using a different Android for my device but this is for ADVANCED Android USERS ONLY!!! And I am not sure if theres such a solution for Iconia Tab anyway...

Btw - here you can find some older DJI Pilot apps:

http://www.inspirepilots.com/thread...-pilot-app-for-android-apk-install-file.4000/

or just type this in google :)

dji pilot 120 apk

Theres another post from me describing this you can take a look:

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...roid-really-that-bad.49752/page-6#post-471716

hope this helps!

Reactions: Andron
Thanks for the reply trigon. I bought the Acer for the Phantom. It does nothing else. I have nothing else installed except the bloatware the came with the tablet. DJI Pilot worked fine with all the bloatware.

Getting a new tablet would cause marital distress... :-(

I have done a factory reset. I get the exact same crash the same way.

I had logged over 100 flights using the DJI Pilot app with this tablet and only encountered occasional crashes of the app which was easy to recover from by rebooting the bird, controller and the tablet. This is a brand new problem with the DJI Go app. Once it crashes the only way to recover is to clean all traces of it (delete the DJI directory) and reinstall. Doing that buys exactly one flight before it happens again.

I always fly in Airplane mode and GPS services running.

If the Acer itself was the problem then I would think I would have seen major problems during my previous months worth of flights. This is a new problem with DJI Go and the new firmware being the only thing new.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply trigon. I bought th.

Getting a new tablet would cause marital distress... :-(

I have done a factory reset. I get the exact same crash the same way.

I had logged over 100 flights using the DJI Pilot app with this tablet and only

Thanks!

If the only thing that changed is the app update it sounds like you're describing a bug.
Did you try explaining to your wife that putting a similar copter together would cost way more than the phantom and that she should feel lucky the only peripheral you have to have is a tablet for a monitor and maybe some batteries... oh and some sd cards. And a case. and a lens cap. and maybe some filters... a gimbal guard... but honey that's it I swear.
And then tell her the iPad mini 3 is really what you need, but because you love them, you'd settle for an iPad mini 2 (don't tell her they're the exact same tablet except the 3 has Touch ID, and apple pay which you don't need to fly anyway...)
This worked for me. And that reminds me. DONT tell you're significant other that your $2000 toy could conceivably fly away under certain circumstances.
You know what they say. Happy wife, happy flight.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
I doubt it is the tablet causing the force close on the Go App. It is the app itself. Numerous users with the latest phone/tablet which are recommended by DJI still having the same issue. And to the OP of this thread....if you have the latest Acer Iconia, it has good enough performance to run the app for sure. It is running 4.4 android, 2GB ram and a quad intel processor clocking at 1.33ghz, not to mention the full HD screen. IMO, it is more than enough.

I doubt it is the tablet causing the force close on the Go App. It is the app itself. Numerous users with the latest phone/tablet which are recommended by DJI still having the same issue. And to the OP of this thread....if you have the latest Acer Iconia, it has good enough performance to run the app for sure. It is running 4.4 android, 2GB ram and a quad intel processor clocking at 1.33ghz, not to mention the full HD screen. IMO, it is more than enough.

Yep, I have the same tablet and it works great. Works with the original and the new app. I haven't updated to the new release yet... so I'll just hold off for now :)

Also have the same tablet, got the same issue. Here's how I fixed:

Uninstall DJI Go.

Go into Astro File Explorer, sdcard0, delete DJI folder.

Reinstall GO.

Power up controller and phantom, DISABLE "cache locally when recording".

What I noticed is that when video files end up in the gallery, the app crashes. If no video ends up there (be it full res or preview res), it stays stable. I do not see the same issue with photos. You can also try going to astro, and deleting any video files from the DJI directory, as a fix in the field.

FWIW: I have also gone through the tablet and disabled all the preinstalled software, and switched to the Google Now launcher. It is in essence stock Android now. Trigon's advice in my opinion is useless: "buy a more expensive tablet". You can get a few more mhz with more expensive tabs, but to suggest Galaxy Tabs are a solution, with all their bloatware, and all the complaints on this site about those tablets, is poor research. Get Advanced Task Killer, and free up some RAM (2gb, like most Android machines), and you are golden. If you really can't stand it, it is quite clear DJI does better programming on iOS than Android, so I doubt you will escape these issues by spending more.

Reactions: Chris Vedeler
I found an old version of Pilot 1.2.0 and installed it. I'll have to wait to test it to make sure it works. Hopefully I can get full functionality of my P3P again.

Note to self. NEVER upgrade as soon as a new version is released when what I had works fine.
Or upload to one device and try before hitting the other

I think it may be a bug.
DO NOT take video. It's the file(s) in the dji/dji_record folder in the app (on the device file system). Delete these files. Then run the GO app.
This worked for me. Good Luck.

Reactions: suprphreak
Chris,
Marital Distress?, sounds like it's time to take Mrs. out for dinner and a movie... Sometimes we get caught up in our particular hobbies or other personal interests, and need to take a step back. I have taken many gifts in my life for granted, and sometimes need to look around me, and see the bigger picture. Buy her a small quad copter, and get her fascinated like we are. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I'm having the same issue. Flight is fine until I land and switch off the motors, if I then start them up and take off I get a grey screen and that's it, no information at all. Hope dji fix this soon as that grey disconnect screen scares the **** outta me

I think it may be a bug.
DO NOT take video. It's the file(s) in the dji/dji_record folder in the app (on the device file system). Delete these files. Then run the GO app.
This worked for me. Good Luck.
I suspected something like that. It is the combo of a flight and the video. Perhaps if I turned off the cache video setting? I'll stick with the Pilot until they get that worked out.

I've stayed on the old Pilot app (1.0.10) and it works fine (with Google Play Services etc downgraded). Zero crashes, no heat issues, perfectly smooth FPV, no lags at all, even when running a screen recorder. I don't see any reason to "upgrade" yet. It's a Nexus 9 that I use for flying and light internetting.

I always fly in Airplane mode and GPS services running.
Thanks!

Thats weird... my app never crashes but my Android is 4.2.2... Btw - I never use it with GPS enabled!!! Why turn on GPS? Theres a GPS in your drone (or controller) you dont need to turn it on in device.

Btw as someone mentioned it might be worth uninstalling the app and deleting the DJI folder from your device then reinstalling app.

And one more thing - I do not use "cache files" in DJI cause it was causing my memory to go full very quickly... :)

trigon, as superphreak and jdac have pointed out, it seems the bug is in the video cache which is probably why you and others haven't had a problem. I'm going to try DJI Go again with the cache off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl