DJI Go app shuts off internet connection when WiFi connected

Reaction score
I have searched in this forum and on the internet, but haven't been able to self-help on this problem. I was deep into P2's a couple years ago, and just returned this morning with a new P3 Standard. First choice device is Samsung S7 running Android on Verizon. (Second choice device is years-old Apple iPad w/o cellular modem.) Phone has the latest Android update this morning, the latest DJI Go just installed this morning, and all appears functional EXCEPT when I connect to the WiFi of the P3S transmitter, my phone loses its normal internet connection over cellular 4G. And since the P3S transmitter obviously isn't internet-connected, my phone is offline while connected to the P3S Tx. That initially caused lack of satellite imagery in map window, but I found posts that suggested disconnected from P3S Tx WiFi, leaving DJI Go active, and roam around the DJI Go map window (with map caching on) after internet connection automatically returns as soon as I disconnect from P3S Tx WiFi. However, DJI Go now says I need to update P3S firmware, and the app crashes (disappears with message) when I try to install the downloaded P3S latest firmware. I think DJI Go expects to be internet-connected during the firmware update, but at the moment I have an either/or choice of internet-connected or drone-connected.

End goal is to run Pix4D capture for aerial mapping and surveying, and I'm hoping the internet either/or problem isn't a roadblock there.

So why does the DJI Go app and P3S Tx WiFi cause loss of 4G cellular internet connection? By the way, cell calls and text messaging still work while connected to P3S Tx Wifi. I've never seen another WiFi connection kill the 4G cellular connection before. Can it possibly be intentional by DJI?

Kelly

From all the threads that I've read here on this subject, our android devices on Verizon automatically switch the data off on the wireless side, as soon as there is a WiFi connection.
My Samsung Note4 has a setting called "Download Booster" which (if I understand it correctly) allows simultaneous wireless data download whilst connected to WiFi.
I've never tried it though.
3b1a552fd0829b97d152ed4dc3921ba2.jpg

Last edited:
The Phantom Wifi extender normally acts as a DHCP server and dynamically assigns your phone's IP address, Subnet Mask, Router/Gateway address, and DNS address when you connect.

When you connect to the Phantom wifi, look at these settings and write them down.

Now edit the Phantom wifi connection entry on your phone:
- change DHCP to Static
- enter the IP address
- enter the Subnet Mask
- leave Router/Gateway BLANK
- leave DNS BLANK

The phone knows the Internet cannot be reached on this wifi connection. So it will now use cellular data whenever an internet connection is required, but it will still maintain the wifi connection as a local network, and the Vision App will keep working.

Reactions: Jerryboy
Hi. I'm new here. I am getting no Wi-Fi from a new phantom 3 pro. No Wi-Fi signals show up. Ever. What can I do?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20